>>>>

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Sun, Sand and the San Clemente Pier!



This was the extremely clear view of Downtown Los Angeles, California as my plane landed at LAX!

WOW! What a beautiful day!

And here I was landing about 9:30am with the whole day stretched out before me.

I was telling my body clock to shut up as it was reminding me that I had been up and going since 12:30am California time.  There was NO WAY I wanted to nap away this gifted day.  Not a chance.

Picking up my 100 lbs of quilt duffles and suitcase, throwing everything onto a rented rolling cart, I made my way to the curb only to find after a phone call that my driver was waiting INSIDE the terminal.

Yep.  You know those lines of drivers holding people’s names on placards? I evidently walked right past the guy with my name on a sign, hell bent on getting what might be the last remaining rolling rent-a-cart (This has happened before!) and making sure that all of my luggage had indeed arrived since I almost missed my connection in Atlanta.

Only a small delay –I found my driver and I was off by town car from LAX to John Wayne airport in nearby Orange County where I would be meeting up with Linda, transfer my stuff to HER car, and make our way to San Clemente.

((And fighting off that need for a nap!))

San Clemente Pier!

My heart skipped a beat when we drove closer to San Clemente and I could actually see the ocean from the car.  It was just past noon at this time. Linda and I had shared an early lunch at California Pizza Kitchen on our way as I was starving.  Or close to it.  Best gluten free pizza EVER!

Side bar:  When in California, just order iced tea.  It doesn’t come sweet.  You don’t have to specifically order UNsweet to get it the way you want it.  Trust me.  And they will know “You’re not from here…” if you use the UN word.

Because it was still so early and I couldn’t check into the hotel yet, we parked the car and got in a good long walk from the car to the pier.  Oh, if I could ever describe the perfect day, this would be it.  Sunshine, no clouds, not even a breeze.  84 degrees.  People out enjoying the beach, the grassy areas, dogs and bikes and strollers and all.  Loving life.  Being out in it.  Participating in it.


Looking south from the pier.
The surf is the icing on the ocean.


Looking north from the pier.

Complete with salty ocean air!


This is one long pier!


Who are you looking at??


Pardon my ray of sunshine!

I took many more photos yesterday, walking around town, enjoying the flowers, the old white stucco buildings with red tiled roofs, and best of all…the sunset, which was incredible from every angle. 

And that surf?  It is CHILLY!


Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

San Clemente Pier, Feb 2016




I took this bench saying LITERALLY!


Daiquiri Ice!

Dairy free – as I’m watching my cholesterol.  Did you know the ices at Baskin Robbin have only 100 calories per scoop?  After over 17,000 steps on my fit bit yesterday, I treated myself to a double scoop.


And there she goes….

This morning I am giving a presentation to the Surfside Quilters Guild here in San Clemente. Rumor has it that we’ll be enjoying lunch in the beautiful downtown area of San Clemente afterward, and I can’t wait to get to know these ladies.  And gentlemen too if we have any!  Workshop tomorrow.  But hopefullly one more gorgeous sunset to enjoy before then!

2_9_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Every day, do something that will lead you closer to where you want to be!

Vintage trip around the world quilt from my collection.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

18 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely tour and day for you!! I am soooo jealous--I am looking out at MT snow in our front yard here...at least the sun is out...love your little red cross blocks--did you use the strip method for cutting these? Have fun and enjoy--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:31 AM EST

    Chris here... Hi Bonnie!!! Welcome to Southern California... We ordered this fabulous weather just for you!!! LOL!!! Enjoy!!!😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:22 PM EST

    How do you spell JEALOUS...L I n d a. Jealous and homesick. Have fun in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful beach pictures. Lovely and the flowers were so neat. We have about 6-7 inches of snow this morning in central Maine. It's pretty, but a different kind of pretty. Have a great class and time there. I am sure you will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing all those beautiful pictures - loved the flowers! Gives me a ray of hope while we deal with snow here in northern Indiana. Happy days in California, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty from Monroe nc1:55 PM EST

    Love the fabulous pictures of the ocean. Almost could hear the sounds of the birds and the waves coming in on the beach. Have a great time.
    Patty E.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're in my Time Zone again! Have a great time in CA. I've not been to the Beach in CA, only Oregon and I'm going again in June. The 2 scoops would give me a brain freeze. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! I love the sunshine pictures. We just got back from Austin TX where it was sunny every day but only about 60 degrees! Beautiful weather to help break up the dull cloudiness of OH weather.
    Enjoy your stay in sunny CA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came of age in southern California. In Newport Beach and Costa Mesa, just a hop, skip, and a jump north up the coast from San Clemente.The water is nearly always chilly no matter the time of the year. There is no Gulf Stream on the west coast to warm the water as in the Gulf of new Mexico and the Atlantic seaboard. I love, love, love California. I have never quit missing it. Enjoy the time there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:46 PM EST

    Well you really know how to hurt a girl who's enduring gray skies and 30-something degrees! :/ Glad you are getting a respite from the cold.

    Did you hear the sun sizzle as it went into the water??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have gray strips to send you. What is your snail address?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for those wonderful photos. Brightens up a February day in Michigan

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my....envious as the outside temperature is 1 degree with a wind chill of negative 12. Sunny skies despite the cold weather here in the upper Midwest. Enjoy that beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful day, it looks just perfect - glad that you actually had a little time to enjoy it. I just don't know how you do it - that's a lot of steps and a lot of weight in quilts that you are lugging around! Bet you slept like a baby that night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living south of San Clemente in San Diego, I enjoyed the same magical, So. Cal. day: Technicolor for those who remember what that is! Welcome, bonnie! I will not be able to attend any of your workshops/presentations, but wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to live in Dana Point!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nancy C in No. Tustin10:45 AM EST

    This weather IS unusual for February... even for us! But so glad it arrived for your enjoyment!!! Your presentation was SO much fun too! And looking forward to the workshop on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad your enjoying the weather. Enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)