>>>>

Thursday, July 23, 2026

The Last Motif In Place!


This is where I left things as I started in on that last large motif that would fill the corner.

Checking for placement.

Looking to be sure I didn't end up with the same fabric touching itself anywhere...because if you know you know. 

Those same aquas need to keep their distance, dagnabbit!

And then...while some random thing was playing on the TV...I completed that last motif.

The last one. No more counting down.  It was time to start sewing these units together.


Okay. I remember what we were watching because I was listening. Not REALLY watching.  

The hubs is quite invested in The Pitt, and with all medical shows I just don't want to see someone's eyeball hanging by a thread, or a gusher of a leg wound, etc.

Oh, I'm interested in the drama and the backstories and the characters and what's going on between the trauma situations, but I didn't need to see THAT, you know?

It's done.  That last motif is FINALLY DONE!


Let's join these babies and get this top together.


Mabel!

I feel it too, Mabes.  (Yes, Mabes. Her nickname as if it saves us so much effort to take a two syllable name down to one. Mabes.)

When you've worked for more than 7 years on a project (I know I was stitching these inner motifs when I took a group to China in 2019!) It's hard to imagine it being finally in the done column.

And then what?  Don't worry....there is another hexie brewing.  Because it is the perfect travel project, I already have the fabric and the papers, and it is so great for stitching head down while I avoid the gore on shows like The Pitt.

It will take a bit to assemble the whole bottom corner section and get it on the mothership.

And then there is the addition of two long borders (already made) and the quilting of it all.

Binding: I'm going to be trimming this one straight after machine quilting, and just put a regular binding on it.  It turned out so well when quilting/binding my mom's giant hexie that I'm giving this a go on this one as well.

I am also convinced that quilting (whether by hand or machine) that crosses seam lines instead of just echoing them actually anchors those seams and keeps things more secure over time.


After putting finishing touches on the retreat in preparation for yesterday's group arrival, I found myself with just over an hour to get some small kitting up and paper piecing in.

I know I have those extra square in a square blocks to make, but these foundations were already printed and trimmed and ready for stitching...I'll finish up this batch and then get back to the others.

I kitted up 3 with the scraps already out on the cutting table and set down to put thread through fabric and paper and do some sewing-on-the-line stuff.


Three more in the done pile!

These go rather quickly and those spokey corners are adding so much to the design of the quilt.


Plodding along one day at a time...

And starting to think about borders.


I hung Hello, Gretchen! in the front foyer!

Deanna from the last retreat left us her gorgeous roses.  They have a couple of good days left even though they are starting to drop petals. (Aren't we all?!) 

Chris's Christmas in July group arrived yesterday right after the rain stopped - I am so grateful for the rain (May it continue, but not while people are unloading!) and their retreat is already in full swing.

When I left the house there was Christmas Music playing, a quilted tree and twinkle lights hung in the Quilting Quarters, and boxes set up for a cookie exchange.  I know they are going to have a great week.

Today: I need to write the pattern for the Sewing Machine Stitchery. I need to be getting that out to my India travelers by August 1st. It will be available to everyone else when I return from that trip.

It's coming soon!


There are still some openings in our Christmas Market Tour through  Switzerland, France and Germany in November, right after Thanksgiving. I'd love to have you join me.

I'm also looking forward into 2027 with a tour to Thailand in JANUARY for my birthday!

I always try to go somewhere fairly warm for January - it makes a great winter break. Have you ever wanted to visit Thailand? Let's go!

I'm returning to Bali in July of 2027 on a fantastic batiking expedition.  Are you interested?

September of 2027 has us returning back to Scotland. As an Outlander fan with 24% Scottish heritage - I can't wait!


For a limited time, we are offering $500 savings on my 2027 Christmas tour through Bavaria and Austria!

This Christmas in July offer is available only through the end of July, or sooner if we sell out.

If you’ve ever dreamed of celebrating the holiday season with twinkling lights, handmade treasures, meaningful traditions, and unforgettable moments in some of the world’s most magical destinations, now is the perfect time to reserve your space in my 2027 Christmas tour of Bavaria and Austria! I love this tour so much!

These holiday tours are expected to fill quickly, and space is limited.

Click to my travel page to learn more, take advantage of the savings, and secure your spot before they sell out!

Let's quilt the world together!


Are your saved scraps overflowing and out of control?

If so - Hello, Gretchen! just might be the pattern you've been waiting for, the quilt you've been eager to dive in and make.

Head over to the Gift-Away Post to read all about it and get your entry in for the Gift-Away.  2 winners will each receive a Hello, Gretchen! PDF pattern from me and:

A Notable Neutrals fabric roll from  Cotton to Quilts!

Intro Pricing:  I've placed the Hello, Gretchen! PDF pattern at 25% off - no coupon needed - through 7/31/26. Discount applied at checkout.

If this is your first time downloading digital patterns from my store to a computer click HERE.

If you intend to download to an iPhone/iPad click HERE.

Especially designed for paper piecing, Hello, Gretchen! is the perfect quilt to turn your saved bits into sparkling beauty! Full color photos, diagrams, step by step instruction and printable foundations included. Strings and scraps at their best!

Quilt Size: 84'' X 84''

*This pattern assumes the maker has at least a basic knowledge and some experience with foundation paper piecing by machine.

A reminder to EVERYONE to not use auto-fill (The prompt that puts in your name, mailing address, phone number, everything with a click.)

As this is a PDF pattern, no mailing address is necessary. Place the item in your cart, then go to the cart page to check out by entering your name and email address manually. I don't know why it works this way, but it does.

If there is an issue with your computer - it could be YOUR OWN browser/security settings. Browser extensions preventing pop-ups can also be an issue. Try using *Incognito mode* to see if the problem persists. Try a different browser, Or order on your phone or tablet, then go to your computer for the download email.

Your VPN or Adblocker can also cause problems when placing an order.

So much nitty gritty! But there you have it.

Okay - time to get this day started!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

This is not a worry. This is not a complaint.

This is boundless opportunity for unlimited creativity!

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone -

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)