>>>>

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Easy Breezy Rippy Stitchy!


I got this far with quilt top assembly yesterday afternoon.

I could have continued - if you really look close you can see that I am more than half way there.  That should be enough encouragement to keep ANYONE going, right?!

Well, sometimes it's a photo that clues us in to what is really going on - and those certain wrong things stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!


Do you see it yet?

Count 4 blocks down in the bottom row, and three blocks up from there. Yes, that green one.

Oh, the GREEN ONE!  (*&@#(*&(*&!

It appears that there is a row reversal going on, and so the assembly had to stop, and I needed to remove a block that was completely sewn in place.

Well if THAT isn't just a mood killer! LOL!


It's not in this view -

But if you see anything really wrong - keep it to yourself at this point. LOL!

It wasn't anything that some TV time with a seam ripper couldn't fix - and let's just say I'm glad the photo did the trick in showing me the issue with that block - heaven knows the making of it, the setting it down with the others, the webbing of the top - I must have been on auto-pilot and my brain just didn't kick in to gear. 

Or more like -s ometimes I think we see things as we intend and want them to be, not as they actually are.

(And yes, there is a life lesson in that!)

For those who asked on the "Webbing" info - please check the Tips & Techniques tab at the top of the blog and scroll down to W.  I also did a Quilt-Cam episode on webbing back in 2017 I believe.  Click the Quilt-Cam tab at the top of the blog and read the summary info.


While all of this sewing was going on yesterday, I entertained myself watching Enola Holmes on Netflix.  Enola is the sister of Sherlock.  Super cute movie if you are looking for something light hearted and fun.


Hexie stitching still in progress!

I think it will be another year at least before this is done.  Not that it is a race or anything.  It's just "hand stitching in the evening" when there are no bindings (or unpicking of blocks from nearly completed quilt tops) to work on while we are feet up in the evening.

Once a project reaches 20 years old - what's the rush?  It is the one prominent red and green thing in my living space this year - with Zoey's crate there just hasn't been room for a full sized tree.  I have my little skinny plug-in tree - the rustic one in the lard can.  And a few other Christmas things around - but things really are minimal this year.


Little Ivy Love, watching birds off the deck.

I really am grateful for these two beautiful beasts that have joined our family this year.  Not only are they great company (and endless entertainment!) for each other, but for us too.

Today I hope to get the rest of the Easy Breezy Leader & Ender top put together, and start reaching for borders.  I think I'm going simple on this one.  It will already be large enough as it needs to be, and I think this is one instance of where "Just put something on there" will do the job.

I'd like to get it quilted soon!


Beautiful share by Corrie B and her Pine Tree Point quilt!
"I just finished the quilting and it started to snow! What's a quilter to do but take a snow picture with a big red truck?!"⁣
Corrie! It's beautiful! And the truck is just what this girl needs to bring in the Christmas feeling with a smile!

You’ll find the PDF pattern for Pine Tree Point, including both the lap size and the runner in the Digital Patterns section of the Quiltville Store.

How about your Tuesday ahead?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Vintage tumbling blocks quilt shared by Kevin H @photokevin74 ⁣

It's futile to resist the call of the fabric!
I love how 3-D they look - and appear to float!



 

25 comments:

  1. This happened in two places with my Carolina Chain earlier this year. And with summer gardening, Christmas presents, fall clean up and all the rest of busyness including disassembling and reassembling teo toons for laminate flooring, the top has not been quilted! I hope when I take it out to assemble for quilting, I do not find more errors. But I am hoping for a quieter winter and possibly year so all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I hope maybe Grassy Creek may happen .... so many want to, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there at rip stitch point. Yuck! It does happen. I tried the tumbling blocks back when I was just trying my wings at seriously quilting. It was to soon all those short seams. I hadn't found out about chain stitching at the time. I was completely turned off of them. Now maybe! But I'm having so much fun with triangles and squares etc. It may be a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had several completely pieced in place blocks in my Celtic Solstice a few years ago that I only found after photos and also asking my daughter to look it over for me. It’s so worth it to fix it! My version of Celtic Solstice is one of my favorite quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, you are just so always upbeat. Your posts are what I look for first thing in the morning and I frequently repost you quotes on my Facebook page. Keep that smile in place. Merry Christmas and have a safe and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:27 AM EST

    Get more fabric? I have to tell the little voices not right now as we pass Northern Ave exit in Phoenix this week. 35th Avenue Sew and Vac may need to wait for another trip. LOL! So glad you have Zoe and Ivy. Love seeing their antics and their love for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better to discover the mis-turned block now rather than after the quilt is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I photograph my WIP's but it is my daughter who is able to spot the oops block best. She always asks if I really want to know lol, because there is a point when I DON'T want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's above freezing and raining with lots of wind here in Southcentral Alaska. Ruining our white Christmas and giving us seriously slippery roads. Sigh.

    I watched Enola Holmes around Thanksgiving; it's a nice light film. Sorry you have to do some ripping out, but better now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But aren't the mistakes part of the charm of old quilts? I didn't notice the green block until you pointed it out. When you said there was a mistake, my eyes went to a couple of blocks where it looks like the "chain" disappeared. It's a beautiful quilt, with or without any mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt Corrie! Love all the darker greens. Miss Ivy Love is so beautiful herself, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie,
    Ivy doesn't seem to be as small as she was........she has filled out beautifully.
    Love her:):):) Just so precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. just saying I looked for your mistake and I am crosseyed and still can't find one... Yes photos really allow you to back away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took a picture of my Good Fortune while in progress on the floor - and voila - there was a chevron in one of the blocks that was going in the wrong direction. I know I checked those bad boys numerous times, but it took putting it partially together and taking a picture for me to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even after you pointe it out it took me a good ten minutes to still see the problem! I need new glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to share a story about a mistake that didn't get caught in time. I saw the quilt at a local quilt show - beautiful quilt done in blue and maize for the University of Michigan....then you see the 'oops'.. two of the letters in 'university' were reversed.. I think it was the i and the t. The quilter didn't notice until the quilting was done. It happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I looked and looked and still couldn't find the culprit which means it most likely woulda stayed if it were my quilt! HA Ivy and Zoey are so lucky to have found your home..such a cute pic of Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still looking for the error. It looks fine to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, thank you for the info on webbing. I found the tutorial and will go look at the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That picture of the quilt on the truck on a snowy day is THE BEST!!!! That needs to be on a cover of a quilting magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's futile to resist the call of the fabric! Ha, my little fingers keep the mouse working and the fabric coming......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! How's a girl going to get new fabric if she can't get to a real quilt shop?

      Delete
  22. how nice to give that big ol truck a quilty hug !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love reading your blog everyday and a year after retiring finally getting in the groove and getting lots of Ufo’s completed. Watched Enola Holmes a couple of days ago, loved it🥰. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank You so much for all you do. I love you admitting to not always having matching seams! Makes me feel like I am not such a failure at this quilting stuff.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)