>>>>

Monday, October 21, 2019

Go Plant A Tree in Africa!


One of the things I love about traveling with Craftours – it’s not just about destinations and locations.  It’s not just about shopping and sight seeing.

It’s about connection, about reaching down into your soul and waking it up to the wonders around you.

We break away from complacency and routine.  We realize that even though we hear such bad things about what is going on in the world today, that the people of the world are inherently good and all have their gifts.  They also have hopes and dreams and loves and losses.

We are far more alike than we are different.

(I also saw a sign on the back of a bathroom stall door that said we share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees, but that’s another story for another time..LOL!)

I wasn’t able to post yesterday – we had a night safari that started at 9pm, ended at 11pm. It was nearly midnight by the time I finally faded out into sleep surrounded by the sounds of baboons and other night sounds.  Our morning started at 6:30 am this morning, and there just wasn’t time to sit and compose my thoughts – not to mention the hundreds upon hundreds of photos that I have to comb through and edit to post here.  It takes me about 2 hours to compose any sort of decent entry, and there was not 2 hours to be spared.

As it is – I know you are wanting to see the animals and the other things going on.  Please visit my INSTAGRAM to see what has been posted on the fly over the past few days – things that have not had a chance to end up over here yet.




So what is this tree planting thing about?



For the past several years, Craftours has participated in a tree planting endeavor helping to give back to this wonderful conservatory where they have been bringing tours for more than 15 years.


We planted trees.

Some in memory of people we dearly love who are with us only in spirit.  Some for ourselves, or for our children - our hopes, our dreams, our existence.

Something that will outlive us, yet whisper to future generations that we were here.



There were many tears through the remembrances. Hugs. Healing. Stories. Laughter. Each one sharing who they were dedicating their tree to. It has unified us as a group.



I chose to dedicate my tree to my brother Mark Wilkinson. My inscription plaque will simply say "I love you more." A phrase that was often teasingly tossed back and forth between us.




Oh, Mark - I planted a tree in Africa! I love and miss you so much.


Grow tall and strong, little Acacia tree!

What I also love is that a year from now, another Craftours group will take photos of Mark’s tree and the inscription  (and everyone else’s)  and we will receive an update by email on how our trees are doing.


We planted trees in Africa in between the bursts or rain that will water them.

Long may they grow!


SO many thanks to Jim West and his tree vision -

Without him this would not have been possible!

I haven’t even posted by blog where we’ve been staying – time has been so full, and we are leaving this magnificent place tomorrow.  Want to see my lodgings?  Click to Play:




Side view of my little space with all the comforts of home!


If you look closely – you can see a full rainbow over the watering hole!

The watering hole is right out in front of my tent cabin, and has been a visiting spot for many animals both big and small while we’ve been here.  I’ve posted some to Instagram and Facebook, so check my videos there.

I promise to catch up with more of the animal stuff when I have a chance.

I just can’t say enough about this trip – our hearts are full to overflowing, and so are our camera rolls!

Tomorrow we move on to the Samburu Game Lodge – about 3 1/2 hours drive from where we are here in Nanyuki.  I have been told to expect things to be a bit more rustic than what we’ve experienced here, even wood burning hot water heaters for showers.  Oh boy.  I can hardly wait! LOL!

Whatever it is, bring it on. I am just more and more elated with what every day places in front of us.

And as a teaser for you – since we’ve missed a couple of days:


Quiltville Quote of the Day-


Take on those fears like a lion! You've got this!

I took this photo yesterday afternoon. Learning a new camera has not been easy, but I have learned one new thing each day and I am pleased with myself for getting over the fear of screwing everything up.


So can you!


And another!

I have no words to express everything we have experienced since arriving here in Kenya.

But witnessing the bond between two lionesses in the wild? Priceless!

(Yes, I am loving my Canon SX70 HS!)

Okay, off to bed here – will post again when I am able.  In the mean time – follow my Instagram or Facebook to keep up with current events in Kenya!

Goodnight, everyone!




19 comments:

  1. Did not think it was possible....but we love you even more, Bonnie !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....fabulous so far. I am curious about the foods you have been eating while in Africa.....maybe post once you get back. I am so glad you are enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good night!! Africa is an amazing place. Glad you could plant a tree! Back in the PNW I am counting the days till you get home. I bought a few new neutrals today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the Canon SX40 HS for a few years & it's been a good camera. Still, even though you've had a camera for a while it's always good to go back and review the manual. I took some moon pictures with bare tree branches in front the other night without remembering there is a nighttime setting on the camera. The pictures would have been much better with it. Believe it or not, my new cell phone has a camera with more megapixels than my SX40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for taking all of us along with you through your travels. I so enjoy the pictures and videos that you share. This is an awesome adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I thank you for sharing your Kenya trip through photos and videos. It is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too wonderful and beautiful for words! (but you and your camera are making this almost as exciting for us) Thank you! Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome trip! So happy to hear what a wonderful time y’all are having and seeing the photos! Africa has been on my list for a while and it may just have to move up the list now...... 😊 keep enjoying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark & Delia Owen (research biologists) have written fabulous books about their work and time in Africa, "Cry of the Kalahari" and "Eye of the Elephant" and more... good reading if you don't get enough from this fabulous trip!! Thank heaven for Bonnie and Instagram!! Love you more, for sure, Cats in Carlsbad, CA

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog post filled my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did not think I would like to go to Africa until you started posting your trip. It looks like a wonderful trip. Thank you for all that you do for us Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing journey. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tears as I read that you planted a tree for Mark. Brother and sister bond so strong on earth and beyond! PS I WOULD share my best scraps with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Africa is a magic place. You have brought me great memories of my time there. It certainly gives you a new perspective on the wonderful people, their hospitality and the beautiful scenery, animals etc Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea. This information about Craftours and Jim West gives a whole new perspective on things! I'm seeing a bucket list forming....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been watching the videos you posted to FaceBook, and I can't help but think what an improbable creature a giraffe is! Can you imagine a European coming upon this animal for the first time, and trying to describe it to his fellow countrymen?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I "LOVE" traveling w/you via photo's. I so enjoy all the pictures and adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My backside is black and blue - kicking myself in the behind for not signing up for this tour. Looks like a blast and I have been to Africa before, awesome country.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful memories you are making and I’m sure Mark is smiling down on you
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)