>>>>

Thursday, June 07, 2012

A Pain in the Necchi ((Neck!))

I’ve been searching high and low for a walking foot that will fit my Necchi Supernova Ultra, Sophia. So far, no avail.

I hate having to return parts that I’ve ordered online – they usually have such things as “re-stocking” fees, even though the website states it WILL fit your model of machine. SIGH --- not so!!

This is the foot I was so looking for…..

It was specifically recommended on THIS PAGE that “The professional high shank walking foot will fit the needle stroke of the Supernova without modification. “

It doesn’t.

I emailed the company, and they said that it fit on “their” Supernova, so I went over to check their video and see that their set up looked like.

It definitely fits THEIR Supernova, so why doesn’t it fit MINE?!

Let’s take a look:

necchi 017

My nekkid needle bar minus any foot.

My push-button needle release sits at front…my thread threads from left to right…that post on the right hand side of the needle clamp? TOO WIDE! It won’t let the fork fit over it. And that extra oil? That came from tipping the machine back to get it out of its case to put it into my Janome table – more on that below!

necchi 018

Here I am struggling to get the foot on, and getting the fork over the screw thingy… ((which doesn’t have a screw, because the needle release is push-button in front.

necchi 019

It DOES fit if the fork is in the down position…so it’s not the height of the shank…that part is a good fit.

necchi 020

It just ain’t gonna go over that bar, folks!

I’m writing this post mostly for the benefit of the yahoo necchi group ---I wanted to be able to direct them to this post to see what I was dealing with – pictures are worth a thousand words, right? I hope someone has an answer for me on what to do.

I am afraid to bend the fork….I need to be able to return it in its "original condition" if need be. What I want to know is if there is a different needle clamp assembly that has a regular needle screw. That might solve the problem.

Oh, and for those on the Necchi group who wondered about a low shank walking foot with a low-to-high shank adapter added -- that doesn't work either. Putting the adapter on a low shank walking foot meant that the fork was in NO WAY going to reach over that needle bar that high up either. Rats.

And another thing ---I’ve wanted a table for this machine, but Necchis are a lot longer-bodied than any standard Singer size…so it wouldn’t fit my Singer cabinets. I turned around and looked at my empty Janome table just sitting there and wondered --- what if…..

necchi 015

Aha!!!!

I had to put a 3/4” thick board across the brackets on the underside of the table to lift the machine flush with the table top. And that gap to the right? Not a problem!

necchi 016

A basket covers the hole and becomes a great place for keeping – well---more STUFF!!

I find a machine that threads from the side NEEDS a good old-fashioned needle threader for me to be able to thread the dang things….bending around the side of a machine like a pretzel to thread a needle just isn’t working for me. I could KISS the engineer who finally got machines to thread from the FRONT!

I also pulled out my old not-very-often-used Sidewinder --- I can’t get the bobbins to fit the bobbin winder on this machine, nor can figure out the right way to wind them, even WITH studying the manual. I need to keep it simple. Often!

And that’s the story of Sophia, the Walking Foot Cunundrum, and how she came to live in my Janome 6500 table!

I’ll deal with where to put the Janome when I get her home, but she is just going to have to learn to SHARE!

17 comments:

  1. when I see you on Monday at the Ohio "Jared takes a Wife" workshop I will have my Necchi book w me. I was able to wind the bobbins easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:56 PM EDT

    Bonnie do you know anymechanical engineers? One might could tell you how to make it work. I have a SIL who is one and he has helped me before w/ quilting snafus.But warning ..be prepared for MORE than you wanted to know! They are very serious about their work..ha..good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had my Necchi Silva I was told Necchi did not make a walking foot to fit Necchi machines. Alas, I never did find one that fit my machine, nor did my daughter-in-law who later used that machine. Good luck hunting a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie: My comment has nothing to do with the sewing machine, but the little yellow thingy on the thread spindle. Did you make it? Someone give it to you? It is SO dang cute!!! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila in Texas8:27 PM EDT

      That is the first thing I saw too. So cute.

      Delete
  5. Maybe Sophia will be happy just piecing for you? I get my parts from Pocono Sew & Vac. I'm posting the link, although they don't have Necchi listed on the page. They do have tons of parts and accessories. Maybe Fred or Paul will be able to help. They have parts for Featherweights and other vintage machines, it can't hurt to talk to them. http://poconosewandvac.com Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the first photo - it looks like they have a skinnier screw "doo-dad" sticking out of the fat screw "thingy". Maybe the fork hooks onto the "doo-dad" and not the "thingy" - ?? - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frustrating!
    Where is Janome 6500? Not in the shop I hope.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that newer Necchis had longer beds than older ones. (I have two older BU's and sew with one in my 1919 singer 66 treadle table and the other in my 1936 singer straight leg treadle irons.)
    Necchis of any model are very rare here in the desert southwest--although the local old sewing machine guy did tell me how lucky I am to have some since they are so well engineered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:38 PM EDT

    Gee Bonnie, sounds like this machine is causing stress! Can't be sure of what you mean about winding the bobbin. BUT the bobbin winder spindle spins in one direction, for that machine. Play like you are winding a bobbon without one on the spindle. Go slow and watch which way the spindle turns?

    Keep a Necchi bobbin in your purse. When you are at an antique mall or thrift store ... they might be selling loose bobbins and not even know what machine they could fit. Would have to be CHEAP enough since they have no idea. Might pick up some that way.

    GOOD LUCK...
    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, if I am not mistaken, Necchi is a Japanese made machine? If such is the case, contact the Janome company if you have not already. Janome machines were marketed in the U.S. under the name of "New Home". I have one of those, but have also found other Japanese made machines from the same period, under different model names, and find that the attachments from my New Home and the other machines are interchangeable. Give it a try and you may have more luck!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:54 PM EDT

    I get that the screw that the fork-thingy is supposed to fit over does not actually hold the needle, so I guess it is there to hold the thread guide on the other side of the shank. Is there any way to un-screw it and replace it with a smaller diameter screw so that the forks of your foot fit over it?
    And thank you to Liriopia who posted about Janome making the New Home machines!!! I had no idea. My first "very own" machine was a New Home. I still have it but even when I first got it, the shiney-new-ness did not appeal to me nearly as much as my mom's old (even then) all-metal Singer!
    -Maria in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:33 PM EDT

    The link at the top of this page that takes you to the ad for the walking foot states:
    Necchi Super Nova and BU SuperNova (not the Ultra). I think that's your problem, NOT the Ultra.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:10 PM EDT

    I had a Supernova, and never found a walking foot to fit it. That's the bad news. The good news is: you may not need one! A friend who quilts on domestic treadle machines professionally says she does not use a walking foot. When the need arises, she uses a zipper foot. There is less foot pushing down on the fabric, and so less need for the walking action. I have found less need for mine, too, since I began using Elmers Glue to baste binding in place. This and a zipper foot works better for bindings, for me.

    Also, Singer cabinets made for later models can hold a Supernova. Later Singers with internal motors have longer beds, same size as the Supernova. I had one in a 201 cabinet but had to remove the black metal spacer for it to fit. I like your little basket solution in the Janome cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just thought I'd let the lady (and others) who thought Necchi's are Japanese machines that they were not originally. They were made in Italy by a man with the last name of Necchi who wanted to build his a wife a better machine than what was available and who also wanted in on the Singer market. It wasn't until 1972 that Necchi outsourced his company to Japan and that's when we saw the advent of plastic parts.

    I too, am hoping to one day find a walking foot for my Necchi Supernova Julia. The beauty of the cam system is that an unlimited number of stitches can be created and there is no computerized machine on the market today that can do that. And it can sew through denim and leather like it was butter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bonnie,
    Nice machine. I just bought a BU Nova and am infatuated. In regards to your walking foot problem: To my eyes it looks like the interference is due to the aftermarket thread cutter on the presser foot arm. You should be able to rotate it clockwise to gain the clearance you need... or remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also have a Supernova Ultra (a gift from a friend who had it form new- so one careful owner - who was head of sewing machine dept at John Lewis in her day .... 1950's ) and just bought a walking foot and cant get the darn thing either on or to work ................. see on Sew Classic they suggest a longer attachment screw ............ but still can not see how the foot will work as too much tension on that bar (and it keeps slipping off as no crew to stop it sliding off)
    SO I think like you - a walking foot will not work and just hope I have another high shank among my vintage machines

    Of course I could ask - and I will tomorrow - the original owner and ask her - she should know all about these machines!! I even have a glossy booklet as she was the head of department at the time this machine was produced. She should know!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)