>>>>

Saturday, June 23, 2012

More Antiquey Inspiration!

I ran through that antique mall like a mad woman --- I would have done much better on roller skates! Seriously, the place is HUGE. It could have taken me days to dawdle, but closing time was fast approaching and I needed to discover what could be discovered in record time!

The place IS as huge as a factory. It’s right off interstate 81 in Verona – and guess who is heading back up that way again at the end of July for the Hershey show? Hmmmmmm…..I think that’s a no brainer, don’t you?

OH_PA_June2012 601

Aisles and Aisles and booths galore!

OH_PA_June2012 599

Which way to go first?!

OH_PA_June2012 600

The first thing I spied was a hovering birds in chrome yellows, deep greens and double pinks. This one was just a top ---and though the fabrics were great to behold, they felt crispy and crunchie, and I knew at best this was a piece simply to be displayed for looking at the fabrics --- and there wasn’t THAT great of a variety of fabrics in this quilt. I let it pass ---I love the simplicity of this block design, and I’d love to do something with these simple triangles in the future.

OH_PA_June2012 602

Sweet and soft springy colors! This booth had a lot of vintage little girl dresses ---and these quilts just belneded in so nice..I love the simple 9 patch with cornerstones that chain through – aren’t the colors fresh?

OH_PA_June2012 603

Crazy Anne circa 1900.

Just who WAS Crazy Anne, and why was she crazy? Could it be she had a hard time getting her triangles to all go the same direction? This one had really great fabrics in it…some of those reds are so vibrant, and I loved hos she distributed the reds strategically around the center block.

OH_PA_June2012 605

Those plaids and checks call my name every time! I love that she pulled together a hodge podge of blues around that center orange plaid pinwheel. It makes it look like it’s a completely different block.

OH_PA_June2012 606

I also can’t resist bears made out of old quilts and tops…this one had a star right on his tummy!

OH_PA_June2012 607

And of course, I am drawn to stringy ANYTHING! I got notice that my book String Fling is ready to go to print ---wahhhoooooo! I hope its on the doorstep soon, I can’t wait!

OH_PA_June2012 610

A very early Wild Goose Chase!

I had higher hopes for this one, but as I got close I could see that the browns were all disintegrating ---too bad! The workmanship in this one was amazing – the geese had all their beaks intact!

OH_PA_June2012 611

So shreddy, so sad!

OH_PA_June2012 617

Drunkards paths in blues and indigos!

I love how swirly curly this block is….and it’s set against a dainty pink alternate square!

OH_PA_June2012 618

Now look at that lower left drunkard’s path unit….do you see the corner blue pie shape is pieced with TWO different kinds of stripes, going in opposite directions? FUN!!

OH_PA_June2012 637

I found a perky dresden plate set with cheddar ---great 1940s fabrics in it!

OH_PA_June2012 638

Here’s a very graphic square in a square set in groups of 4 ---positive negative!

Notice how the red sashing only went so far, and then they had to use something else up along the top between those three upper right hand blocks!

OH_PA_June2012 633

The weirdest thing that did NOT come home with me? THIS!

Can you guess what it is? Look closer:

OH_PA_June2012 632

It saddens my heart to think of the necessity of having one of these on hand. I’m sure every birth was an occasion for fear of death.

The upside of this one??! Think about it ---- the need to use it never came! It got buried in the barn and stayed there. But my heart is with the person who fashioned this so carefully out of heart pine in the mid to late 1800s. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy task.

There are more quilts to share, and I haven’t BEGUN to get to the machines yet! But that will have to wait until I’m back from my weekend in Boone ----

Have a great Saturday, everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Oh I am loving that Crazy Anne block & it might come in handy for the fabric I just "discovered" in my suitcase from my last trip.
    I had forgotten some of the fabric that I bought when I was last in Oz but I hope to get to it soon!
    Very sad about the coffin but you are right, at least it's existence means it was not needed.
    Cheers
    Lush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:01 AM EDT

    So, will your next book be "Antique Quilts Revisited" in which you will remake all of these gorgeous antique quilts with scraps and recycled fabrics?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:14 AM EDT

    GLORY...that place is HUGE! Have you thought abut inline skates, or maybe thoe sneakers with roller skates built in? "Fly like an eagle!" LOL
    OPPS, below is in caps... can't type all that again ;)... please excuse the caps this once.
    yOU SURE DID HIT A MOTHERLODE OF QUILTS THERE. sO MANY GOOD PATTERNS, AND I LOVE THE FABRICS. wOULDN'T IT BE FANTASTIC TO HAVE A real QUILT MUESUM? I MEAN QUILTS THAT EVERYDAY FOLKS MADE AND USED. DREAMS... LOLOL
    hAVE A GREAT TIMEOUT IAT YOUR CABIN.
    sMILIES
    jULIEINtn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand there is a quilt museum in La Grange, Texas. I hope to get there this fall while visiting relatives. I understand that the museum features "Texas" quilt designs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for always sharing such lovely quilt pictures with us. Hey Bonnie, in your spare time ;-) when are you going to host some Craftsy classes for us? I'd so enjoy traveling to a workshop, but can't always make that work, but if you were on my iPad at 5am before everyone wakes and the house is still quiet... I'd love to see Bonnie Hunter Craftsy classes, but I read how super busy you are. Enjoy the AC!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:02 AM EDT

    Now, you have me wanting to stop at antique shops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love going through antique shops. I hope you are having a nice relaxing time at the cabin. You very much deserve some time off and rejuvinate your spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how ever do you resist buying all these lovelies and giving them a good home? or....maybe you do and just not telling!!! i hope the 2 story antique store is still in boone, i helped to keep it in business a few years ago...sing on,nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is quite a store! How fun! Did you find any more sewing machines? I wanted to tell you that I finished the Wild Geese Chase book...Myra did it!

    heyiz00@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:34 PM EDT

      Rather rude of you to spoil the end for those of us that haven't finished the book.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:23 AM EDT

      I agree! I am halfway through and was kind of suspecting her...now I may as well go on to another book!

      Delete
  10. Got a chuckle out of the name "Crazy Anne" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the antique quilts show, I learned a lot! As for the coffin, I had no idea what it was. So glad that the child must have recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My greatest aspiration...the crazy Sue quilt! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. This antique store is in Boone? Around Boone? We are going to be in Boone, NC, next week and I would love to know where this is. the quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh the bear, did you bring it home for your cooked eye bear pig LOL

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)