>>>>

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Cool Quilt Stuff....

Isn't it fun how when quilters gather, we ooh and ahhh over the new notions, neat gadgets, fun patterns...organizer things, funky tools, cases, bags, totes, etc that we see?

I have to tell you something that I found that I had never thought of. I had a "LUGGAGE" scale that got lost. I needed to replace it...couldn't find one. Not sears, not Penny's, not Walmart, not Target..in other words, I exhausted every outlet that was local to me.

The original scale came to me from Target, and cost $10.00 in the luggage department.

I know where I left it! At a hotel...in the closet...inside my favorite pair of clogs..so it was a double RATZ when I discovered them missing and remembered where they were. Too bad.

After trying to replace the scale, my DH said..try a FISH SCALE! Why didn't I ask him sooner? The Walmart sporting goods department had one that went up to 50lbs...and it was.....$5.00. (Shaking head at the stupidity of marketing...or maybe...the brilliance?)

It looked identical to the "LUGGAGE" scale I bought in the luggage department....only this was sporting goods. Same thing. Literally.

Why is it when something is marketed specifically for some purpose..like quilting for instance...things double or triple in price?

Anyway....scale found, problem solved.

In this case, I want to show you this ingenious little trash catcher one of the quilters had at the Crumbs workshop!

It is simply made from a cut off leg of jeans....the bottom stitched, the corners boxed, and some top stitching added to make it look square instead of round...


Easy peasy! And oh so cute! I can see myself making some of these. They squish flat...perfect for catching threads and snips and dog ears....what a way to recycle!!

Have you seen anything extra cool lately?? I think some of the best ideas come when we gather together for a class, or a guild meeting and see what each other have discovered on our jaunts out and about!

20 comments:

  1. Love that little trash catcher! Thanks for sharing. I'm off to make one right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Who doen't have an old pair of pants that they can use. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing.

    And my guess as to the reason the same things are priced differently for different markets is because the consumers in that particular market are willing to pay more for the items, probably through ignorance (of the original source for the item that's been "upscaled" for the higher priced market).

    Why else would a hair scrunchy you can get at the dollar store sell for 10 at Lord & Taylor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old Idea...cat bags made from fabric snips and unusable pieces. We always have 3 or 4 going at quilt camp. Delivered to pound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. Who doesn't need a trash can when they sew? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the fish scale item, how cool is that? I own a (can't help myself) bunch of featherweights and some came to me without a case. Also, I don't like hauling them around in their original cases because alot of the handles are in poor shape. I am also frugal (enter the cheapskate) and took one of my babies to K-mart one day. No one said anything either. I tried her out in a few things and finally settled on the perfect featherweight case...a 12 pack cooler with soft sides and a hard plastic inner core. Little pockets outside for bobbins, rulers, portable iron, etc. The handle is adjustable and fits like a shoulder bag, all for @ $14.99. A far cry from the pricey new featherweight bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT idea for the thread catcher!~and adorable!
    Is the scale the type to hang things from or sit them on?
    My husband has been collecting antque sterling silver FOREVER!~well, finally disbursing of some of it and need to weigh things.. scales for this purpose are VERY expensive, so would love to find one affordable and yours might just do the trick! THanks~!
    So many clever things/ideas that I find at various blogs, that now I can't remember.... I'll get back to ya! :) Goodness, this could be a whole new section! lol You have the best posts Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! I just sorted out a bunch of old jeans to make quilts and totes with! Guess I need to get busy on some too! Thanks. Also, the luggage scale.... brillant! Give your hubby a hug for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait till I tell my guys they have a quilting tool in their tackle box! Ha!! :)

    Love the jeans thinkgy...great idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea, I'm on the short side, so I often need to make alterations to my pants.Jeans are perfect because they are a stiffer fabric.Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been saving old jeans.. now I know one project I can use them for. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have saved a bunch of old jeans just waiting for a project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neat idea. Now there will be one in every sewing room in the world! I have an old pair of red jeans. Silght decoration and will be perfect for a stocking stuffer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just ripped a BIG rip in a pair of jeans this week and will use the legs for this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My, my, my, ... that is the cutest recycled item I have seen in a long time! I have some old jeans in the closet just waiting for a new use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the second blog I've read today that deals with the topic of "specialty" tools being more expensive than the same thing marketed for a different use! So true! I found hair clips at the dollar store that were virtually identical to the ones packaged as clips for holding the binding folded while you sew it on! And they were a lot cheaper! And thanks to Soggybottomflats for the hint about a case for a featherweight! I have one that I bought without the case, and still have it wrapped in the bubble wrap for lack of a better way to store it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All very clever ideas - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing, love that jeans trash catcher. I may make one for myself. : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. YEAH RE-PURPOSING! I've collected jeans from friends for a long time. Pulled all the pockets off and resewed them to a piece of old upholstery fabric in rows, made machine embroidery names on denim pieces pinned on for each staff member and hung it up with a dowel and D-rings in the staff room for them to keep their reuseable cutlery, tea supplies... (sorry for the run-on sentence!) Wish I had a photo. When staff changed, I would just make a new name and pinned it on, made them feel welcome.
    Now, I'm sure there could be some leftover legs looking for a new life in that bag! Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)