>>>>

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Start With Something Quilty!


I'm putting this quilt backing at the top of this page - 

Not because I think you will think it's wonderful - but as a reminder to myself "Now that the backing is done, what is stopping you from loading and quilting this thing?!"

I felt a stall out over the weekend.  And that's okay.  We all have that from time to time.

But this is a reminder to me that any lack of sew-jo will find its way back if we just give it space.


This is the backing for my patriotic version of Hearts of Hope - and I wanted it to not only use some older stash, but also leftover parts of the quilt top.

I wanted it full of summer fun.  And yes - mostly to use up weird older fabrics.  LOL!

You can see where the leftover blue strings went - 


And I used up the leftover inner border units here as well - 

That watermelon fabric from 1990-something - will it EVER go away?

It feels like summer, and I'm glad to be using up MOST of the last hunk of it here.


And it will look just great with this!

So will I find the get-go to load this and start the quilting?  YES!

But not today.  Today the Hubster returns from his trip visiting with his brothers and I'll be off as soon as this posts on another round trip quickie-visit to Charlotte to fetch him at the airport.

But tomorrow?  I think tomorrow is the day that we actually get the quilting started on this version.


Yesterday I took time out for a much needed massage. It was the icing on the cake for my own relaxing weekend of "home alone with 2 dogs and a cat" 

I firmly believe that we can't take care of anyone else until we take care of ourselves and massage is one of the gifts I give myself for all of the health benefits it provides.  

My first sight as I parked the van?  AZALEAS are in bloom below the mountain!


Check out this riot of color - Glorious!

This took up a good chunk of my day - and I was so noodle-y by the time I was home, that the only sewing to happen was a bit of hand quilting on the string star while watching "Anatomy of a Scandal" on Netflix.  Have you seen it?

It stars Michelle Dockery, the wonderful actress who played Mary on Downton Abbey.

It's SO GOOD!  It's a limited series - 6 episodes I believe.  And a great one to quilt to.



She Sews Tea Bags!

This is another funny thing - It's iced tea season. (YAY!) and instead of using a handful of small tea bags to make a quart, half-gallon or gallon of tea, I buy the "family size" ones that make a quart.  I'm the only tea drinker and prefer fresh, so my one quart stoneware pitcher and these family sized bags are my go to.

Only - they come "connected" to each other and you have to separate them - one wasn't sealed all the way and tea started to spill out of the edge opening.

What's a quilter to do?  Give it a double roll fold and stitch that sucker down! LOL!

And yes, that counts as sewing machine time in my book. (And the tea was good too!)

I'm so excited to see that we've got over 6,000 entries on our April Showers PDF Pattern & Fabric Roll Gift-Away!


It's the Last Week!

The April Showers PDF pattern release has exceeded all expectations as we are all (in this hemisphere anyway!) clamoring for spring followed by summer.

Thank you so much for your positive response!  I see photos of you digging through your stashes, posting images of fabric pulls and first blocks already.  Sew! Sew! Sew!


I love how ALL of the purples are so varied and play together so well.  Mother nature knows what she is doing!


I used my Essential Triangle Tool for the half-square triangles in April Showers.

I used the Simple Folded Corners ruler or Simple Folded Corners Mini for the stitch & flip corners on the diamond rectangle units.  

I use these rulers all of the time.  If you don't have them, invest in yourself and get them! You'll find them in the Quiltville Store.

Traditional rotary cutting and piecing methods are given to those who don't have the rulers.

Does your purple or green (And neutrals - always!) stash need a bit of enhancement?  Check out these color rolls by Cotton to Quilts!

The best variety and fantastic service!  And I'm so grateful that Cotton to Quilts is once again offering up 2 fabric rolls for this gift-away!

We'll be drawing for one winner who will receive the PDF pattern for April Showers and a facets of purple color roll, and a second winner who will receive the April Showers PDF pattern and the facets of green color roll!

Head on over to the Gift-Away post and get your entry in!


This lovely April Showers runner in grey/peach was sent in by Carol Smith!

She writes: 

"Hello Bonnie! 

I so love your new quilt, April Showers! You showed a few pictures of it on your blog when you were piecing it and I fell in love with it then. 

My daughter requested a long gray and salmon table runner for her new table around that same time so I thought, why not! I’ll try it. This is what I made for her. (On my much shorter table.) She loved it. 

Now I plan to do a queen size, the only problem is deciding on the colors. I love your green and purple so that may be what I’ll do. 

Love your blog, love your quilts! I have all of your books, made many of your quilts and never miss a mystery!
Thank you so much for all that you do!"

Thank you so much, Carol!

I love to see your finishes - keep those pictures coming!

Okay, time for me to gather up the dogs and start that long drive down to Charlotte - The Hubster just texted that he has landed in Atlanta.

 (Remembering to grab some pork chops from the freezer to defrost for dinner tonight before I go! It's BBQ season!)


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Like a stone dropped into a pond, every thought, every word, every action has a ripple effect.
May our ripples be positive!

Have a Terrific Tuesday, everyone!


 

9 comments:

  1. Rainy Tuesday Roadtrip day. Brought a hand quilting mini to work on. Forgot my Scissors, oops. We'll see how hard it is to thread my needle with my old eyes. Safe traves to pick up the hubster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Azaleas are amazing and such a glorious color to enjoy. Thanks, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to your quote of the day. Thank you and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That teabag photo reminds me ... I bought tea bags to make salal tea. Easy to sew the bags closed. The natives in the Pacific Northwest would pick new salal leaves and chew them as an appetite suppressant. I dry them in a slow oven before bagging them. Both the leaves and berries have a hint of a wilderness licorice-like taste. I use the berries like in muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Anatomy of a Scandal, binged all 6 episodes Sunday night! Can't wait to get started on April Showers, but the binding on a mysery quilt is up next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those azaleas are gorgeous! They are just starting to fade out here in the triangle, but they have been beautiful this year. All the flowering things have been beautiful. I am making a small quilt top-wall hanging size to hand quilt. It's been years since I did any hand quilting and you have inspired me to pick it up and get practicing on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The watermelon fabric made me smile. I think there may still be some of that buried deep in my sewing room! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some of that watermelon fabric, too! lol. I love looking at your pictures and picking out the fabrics that we both have in our stashes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched Anatomy of a Scandal lest week and loved it. I am currently putting hearts on a string quilt to cover up fraying because it has been washed so many times. I
    keep it on the couch because Lucy, my dog, likes to sleep on it. I guess eventually it has to be rplaced.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)