>>>>

Sunday, January 07, 2007

More Retreat Fun!




Here is another project I took to the retreat at Tonya's. I had pieced the center last year from all orphan blocks. It used quite a bit of them, and it was amazing that I didn't have to make many "filler" blocks/areas. It just fit together.


I tried to do like old antique quilts, and group alike blocks together. I've seen that time and time again in antique quilts that they didn't mix them up so they were spread all over...they had sections of this and sections of that, and I kind of wanted that idea for this quilt.

The sayings go:
Bonnie Likes to Play With Blocks. (left side)
Little Pieces Make Her Happy (top)
Most Of All She Likes Them Scrappy (right side)
BKH Irmo, SC 2007 (bottom)

I just have to add the spacer strips to the bottom and top of the pieced letter sections to make them 6" finished (They are at 4" finished now) and then add 6" widths to either end of each border to make them long enough.

I'm going to add a narrow inner border of red before setting the letter border on the quilt, just to give it a bit of a spacer before setting the letters in there...

On the home front...I've been working on a re-do of our 4th bedroom which has been an office/massage therapy room. I cleaned out the old computer armoir, moved things around....I brought in a chair (I need a more comfy one though so I will be chair shopping) and yesterday I went and bought a TV to go into the armoir. Direct TV is coming to hook up the room in a few weeks....and I will have a cozy place to read, watch HGTV if I want, hand quilt.....I'm excited about having this room be a "den" and still have room in there to set up the massage table if I have a client that needs to see me at home.

This past year I lost the living room to the pool table....the dining room to DH's biking/sporting gear so he and his buds can train indoors....and I lost the beautiful guest room (where I liked to go read in quiet) to Jason when he moved back home. So I am happy to be making better use of that 4th bedroom and having it more "quilter friendly" :c)

Bonnie

21 comments:

  1. What a marvelous use of orphan blocks. This makes me want to start making blocks right away so I can have one too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous quilt. I love how it looks so complex and the words on the border complete it. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You come up with the best things out of leftovers! Another wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your 2007 Orphan quilt is fabulous, Bonnie! I love the way that you arranged the blocks...with inspiration from antique settings. And then you've thrown in the modern twist of the words...very "Bonnie!"

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way your orphan quilt is turning out. I too like the ones where like blocks are grouped together.

    And good for you getting a space all your own. I'd put a lock on it dare anyone to try to take over your space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you have combined all the blocks into a block and then to add the words is a stroke of genius!

    Isn't it fun to have a space of your own to relax in? You've done a great job creating one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bonnie! This is wonderful! And I love the words! Oh I just love your stuff so much. How come your stuff looks so much better than when I try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great job!! a very good way to use your small scraps. Congratulations, it's so beautiful! I love the way you adjust your blocks, and making antique quilts like is not so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, This is sew cute and sew you! Can't wait to see it when you work your quilting magic on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. I like the way you put the saying around the outside. Really makes it personal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your modern twist with this new quilt. I use lots of crumb blocks for charity quilts but they don't look as good as yours does. It's inspired me to try a miniature one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:54 PM EST

    Bonnie, You are so blessed to have so much love in your home - there is space for everyone to do what they enjoy most.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quilt will be fabulous once completed - and well done you for commandeering that fourth bedroom - I think you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wheee, it's gorgeous. I love how photos can really bring quilts into focus - just amazing. Love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is such an incredible orphan block quilt! I have some orphan blocks, but I don't think mine would look nearly as fabulous as yours! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just amazing Bonnie, I really love it!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:42 AM EST

    I'm glad you have your own space. I'm thinking of putting all three boys in our main bedroom (we would go in the second room, and the girls are already in the third) so I can have a sewing room again. I absolutely LOVE your Bonnie Loves Scraps quilt - I gave all my orphan blocks away some years ago and never make test blocks so I have none left. I wish I'd kept them now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous quilt! Love the saying around the edge too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, Bonnie - what a great looking quilt. I wish I had orphan blocks that looked like those. You did a beautiful job of tying everything together and making it so you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All I can say is: WOW! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't wait to see the entire quilt! My little quilt group was getting nervous about what to do if they don't like the fabric they use in a quilt block...I'll love to show them this!
    Sio

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)