First things first - this is DONE DONE DONE!
And I love it to bits.
I am thrilled with the fabric usage, though it didn't use as much of the small stuff as I thought it would.
I love the way the stars look more "light than dark" because I alternated neutral strips with colored strips in the piecing. Same with the string piano key border.
Now what to do with the remainder of the strings?
I had special visitors yesterday!
I love how she made hers in holiday fabrics.
She dropped off some bags of scraps too and I am so excited to dig in and see just what's in there!
She dropped off some bags of scraps too and I am so excited to dig in and see just what's in there!
So....the scraps are coming in faster than I can sew them up.
Is this a bad thing?
I don't think so!
Thread cutters and thread blobs.
Thanks so much for the enthusiasm on my latest slow piecing by machine project.
I wouldn't be doing this by machine without a machine that has a thread cutter as there are so many starts and stops and with Y seams, you really can't chain piece.
I found more original photos -
Do you know these ladies?
I took this photo on June 16, 2017. I was teaching in California at the time and this happened during our show & share time.
Thanks to your hints and helps I discovered that this pattern has MANY names (As traditional quilts often do.) Collinsville Rose Star, Vintage Rose Star, Rose Star One Patch, Oxford Rose, Morris Hexagon #13, and Colonial Garden to name a few.
The 1930s layout is archived in the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns by Barbara Brackman.
It's officially cataloged under the split classification of the Laura Wheeler/Alice Brooks mail order syndicates of that time.
In the 1930s newspapers it was occasionally published under the localized pattern title Collinsville Rose Star.
It doesn't surprise me that this traditional quilt pattern is seeing a modern day revival. The possibilities are endless with this one! It's all in how you color it.
Much like the double wedding ring, there are multiple sources where you can find the pattern, find a template and go in many directions as it has captured the heart, interest and imagination of many designers. Some doing EPP, some using the machine as I am.
Will I write up a pattern for "MY" version of this traditional quilt? I don't know. My only desire so far is to use up all of the scrap squares that have filled a bin to the brim. I want to see that go down. And this is working so far for me.
Much like a hexagon quilt - another one patch design - I don't know if there will be a pattern from me because it is just one shape repeated and repeated and repeated.
It's more about the scrap usage into something pretty for me.
I am inspired by the maker of this vintage version from a photo that I took myself, made with a pattern which was widely published in newspapers of the day.
It's likely that she made HER version from the Laura Wheeler pattern published in a 1930s newspaper by dating the fabrics in her quilt.
I'm making it my way. With little Y seams. Loads of stops and starts. Sometimes thread blobs. But I'm making it.
Meanwhile on retreat with the Muddy Creek Misfits next door:
Yesterday was also a gorgeous day to be out on the porch, and we enjoyed afternoon and sitting and rocking, talking and snacking for as long as we could -
Meanwhile on retreat with the Muddy Creek Misfits next door:
Another pretty star flower!~
I'll have to get the right side up photo later!
And another
This one from the same block of the month.
Fun fabrics here! can't wait to see what this will be.
Chains of blocks happening here!
Gorgeous batiks in soft blues -
Something purple happening here!
And more purple here!
Yesterday was also a gorgeous day to be out on the porch, and we enjoyed afternoon and sitting and rocking, talking and snacking for as long as we could -
The weather is changing drastically tomorrow with the incoming of rain and more rain.....
I suspect there will be more porch sitting today.
Anything fun up for your Friday?
Quiltville Quote of the Day -
Sandcastles quilt from my book String Frenzy available in the Quiltville Store at Quiltville.com.
It's also found in my new book Scrap-Savvy.
Have you made yours yet?
Happy Friday, everyone!










.jpg)













No comments:
Post a Comment
If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.
Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.
Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)