>>>>

Wednesday, October 07, 2026

A Bit Of Out & About -


I got out of Dodge yesterday.

The objective?  To get myself to Costco in Winston-Salem (100 miles away) and get my glasses ordered up with new prescription.

Of course, an excursion like this becomes a plan to do all of the things and hit all of the places I could and still be back by dinner time.

Costco, Indian Market, 4 2nd hand stores and an antique mall happened before I met up with Dave and friends for dinner!

This silly picture?  Antique mall.

my friend Jules is half Japanese and loves everything happy Buddha, and is quirky and fun enough to also have a Godzilla somehwere....so I took this photo for her. She loved it.


A sweet old Sphinx treadle -

So laden with stuff I almost missed it!


Little Rocketeer toy machine!

It was very plastic and I'm not adding to the collection just to add to the collection.

(I can't believe I just said that?!)


This DID come home.

I loved this phrase the first time I read it.  I have it hanging in the downstairs bath at the retreat.  Because I believe in positive motivation, and this rings true to me.

Has it been over simplified and over used in the past decade or so? Likely. Probably.  But I still believe in it.

I love a giant mug - for my tea, for my coffee with loads of foamy milk.  It's happily living here at home now.


This is going home to the inn!

We said goodbye to a favorite vintage glass pitcher last week.  It developed a crack at the base of the handle and wasn't safe to use anymore.

I found this one at Goodwill for $3.99.  Welcome home, little beauty!  I hope you see many seasons of ice tea, sangria, whatever folks want to use you for.

There is nothing like a cold glass pitcher.  Plastic will never cut it.


My haul from the Indian Market -

I have always loved Indian food, but I never thought I could make it.  But if not now, when?

Since coming home from India I have made a couple of different kinds of dal, and the other day I made a Rajma Masala made with dried (and soaked overnight) beans instead of lentils like dal. SO GOOD!

I watched a video where a lady made what looks like a wonderful dish with cabbage - that's next up on my list. 


And about those glasses -

I had the hardest time picking out pairs.  I wanted something fun.  I wanted another something basic. But I wanted silver tones and not shiny gold, and there were no silver options.

I love the glasses I have now!  But they won't put new lenses in old frames. Sad.

My prescription is good for a year, so when I get these new ones, I may see if I can find a place that will put new lenses in second hand frames to keep my silver pair I have now.

But the top pair? With the purple?  Now that is FUN!


On to the last side!

I met up with Dave and our friends at The Tavern in West Jefferson, NC for dinner - there was no way after this busy day that I was cooking!

After that was a short grocery store run for the frozen things I didn't get at Costco because they wouldn't stay frozen for my journey home and out to dinner time.

By the time we got home and put all away, there was maybe an hour left before bed time si I started in on side 4 of the binding on my string star. I made it about half way up that side.

Tonight maybe? Finish that last side and start stitching down the hanging sleeve and the label (thread color change needed.) 

Nights are getting cooler and I'm enjoying snuggling under this one while I bind it!

The Muddy Creek Misfits are inbound today - I can't wait to see them this afternoon.

Today - Time to get out all of the Halloween decor including changing out some quilts!

What do you have planned for your Wednesday?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -
⁣
There was a whole lot of music in the car yesterday - Let the good songs roll!

Happy Wednesday everyone!

 

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:16 AM EDT

    I noticed in August when I went to the eye Dr. that the color range had dwindled. I got a pair that are a pink gold color, more pink that God. My last pair was tiger print. When we where them all the time it is fun to get different. (Robyn Williams)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy Jones9:19 AM EDT

    Why does the good song start playing when you reach your destination?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If its purple it comes home with t he me. Glad you found some frames you like. Weird that they can't fit old frames. There's a box to donate them. at my Eye Dr place. I have a collection of frames. Mine usually break or lose a screw. Changing of the Quilts here too. Happy Wednesday! Singing all the way to the end with the radio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:34 AM EDT

    I love reading .... and seeing .... your adventures in antique shops, second hand stores, etc. Thank you! Please get out more ... LOL
    Betty Giles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:53 AM EDT

    My husband and I have both had glasses made through our local Walmart vision center. They have used our old frames and put the new prescription lenses in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:35 AM EDT

    I have a tea towel with the same saying. When I was little and me or a sibling said, " I can't" my mom quoted the first two verses of the following poem to us. Have you heard it before?

    It Couldn't Be Done
    By Edgar Guest
    1881 –1959

    Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,
    But he with a chuckle replied
    That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one
    Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.

    So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
    On his face. If he worried he hid it.
    He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

    Somebody scoffed: “Oh, you’ll never do that;
    At least no one ever has done it”;
    But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
    And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.

    With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
    Without any doubting or quiddit,
    He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

    There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
    There are thousands to prophesy failure;
    There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
    The dangers that wait to assail you.

    But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
    Just take off your coat and go to it;
    Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing
    That “cannot be done,” and you’ll do it.

    This poem is in the public domain.
    Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy Bain11:16 AM EDT

    That pitcher looks just like the one used in KoolAid ads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walmart will put new lenses in glasses. Oh sorry to see your Koolaid Man pitcher meet its demise. We like Indian food too. Love the PURPLE glasses by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lensabl.com can work magic replacing lenses in your "old" frames.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lensabl.com can replace lenses in your "old" frame.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)