>>>>

Thursday, September 03, 2026

The Day That Got Away -


There are some days that just run amok.

Run Amok.  I love that term!  It looks weird, 

Do people even use this phrase anymore, or did it go the way of Jane Austen and maybe Agatha Christie?

I tried to come up with a better definition of yesterday, but here you have it.

It Ran Amok.


Whatever there is there is an over abundance of AMOK in my life right now!

But first - take a look at this gorgeous array of beautiful coral to orange. This is my happiness and connection right now to the outside world.  I love seeing each postmark and reading each note you've included.  2 days until my trip to India begins and these oranges are cut and kitted and going along for the journey.

Is there much Amok in India, I wonder?  Likely. It seems to follow me around.


So many beauties in here!

Thank you from the bottom of my hexie loving heart. Seriously


Beginnings are taking shape.

I know this looks weird.  The first big motif in the bottom is the one I've shared. It's the first test one.  The one we learned that more contrast is needed for the design elements to be evident.  Greens have to contrast with neutrals and oranges and greys - neutrals have to be more neutral and not too busy or leaning toward grey.

The greys can't be too light or they fight with the neutrals.  But, it's getting there.

Sometimes it really helps to take a photo and then look at it on the screen to see what stands out, what recedes, and what just creates conflict.  As in RUN AMOK!

SO - on to yesterday.  This is kind of a long story, and there are no pictures because sometimes you can't stop and record the amok that is happening right in front of you.

We had a young man about Jeff's age who was riding an electric bike all the way from Lynchburg, Virginia to Burnsville. North Carolina but his electric bike lost power and we had been recharging him for a couple of hours on the porch.  We fed him, rehydrated him, made him welcome.

 But it was not charging fast enough and I was worried about him riding the dark, wondering where/how he'd sleep, etc.  This could be MY kid. So what did we do?

I called Dave, he came to meet me and we  his bike into the back of the van and just drove him to his family in Burnsville - about 100 miles from here. It was where he needed to go. 

I just keep thinking that this could be my kid. He was kind of a rough kid with tattoos from head to toe but he'd been here helping welcome the ladies and unpack their cars.  I just needed to get him somewhere safe.

His name was David. So we had David the passenger, and Dave the driver.


Burnsville is lovely!  And this was some of what we drove through.

At any rate, we got him to his relative's place by 7pm.  It was 8pm by the time Dave and I got back to Boone realizing we were starving.  Thank heavens for Chili's and their later night hours.

We rolled into home at 10pm and straight to bed, but I couldn't fall asleep.  I just kept thinking of this young man and where his life could go from here.  I'll never know.  We didn't exchange information. We were just strangers who saw a need and wanted to get him home where he is safe.

From here, he has a clean slate and is hopefully waking up at the blank page of his life in front of him today. It's his to decide what to do with. 


Of course these guys were wondering why their dinner was so late.

So here we are on Thursday morning.  The Spooligans are in the house.

There is much retreat fun to be had.

I'm still working on website stuff.

I have still not packed for India. I need to do laundry tonight and get that packing thing done tomorrow.

I made ONE String Star block yesterday (That was when David came knocking at my door.)

And I'm hoping no more Amok things come my way today.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

All of that time we spend is worth every stitch we take.

(Even though some days there is no stitching time at all,)

Will you be spending time with needle and thread today?

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone -

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:58 AM EDT

    The news mentioned it has been the hottest summer in India. Take heed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica from Verona VA9:02 AM EDT

    We need more people in this world like you and Dave, who see a need and just do what needs to be done. You will never know how your kindness has touched David's life, but I am sure he will never forget you. We never know how the ripples we each create affect others who cross our path. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have done the same thing for that young man, a good reason for letting your day get away. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)