Our Craftours India group with our fantastic guide Ajay at The Qutb Minar!
We may look bright eyed and bushy tailed, but we had just arrived the previous afternoon. After a good night's rest we were ready to get on the bus and get some exploration and knowledge building in.
One of the things I love about international travel is the exposure to things from history that I never knew about. Literally. India's history goes way back and there is so much to learn, including being conquered, fought back for freedom, conquered again, and then colonized by the British for a 100 year or so rule.
Way back in history, the Qutb Minar was mostly built between 1199 and 1220, contains 399 steps, and is one of the most frequented heritage spots in the city of Delhi.
This year with travel to Morocco, and also to Romania I have learned a thing or two about takeovers.
The decorations allowed in Islam are florals, plants, and geometric patterns. Nothing with a face. No human or animal figures.
Kind of the same way that the Amish don't do photographs, or have faces on their dolls.
So when take-overs happened, all of the icons of the Hindus were defaced and wiped out. No representations of gods or goddesses anywhere. Gone.
I guess you can call it recycling in a way. Use what you have at hand. Even if it is tearing down someone else's temples.
Over the centuries, the tall tower suffered damage from lightning strikes and earthquakes.
It was a great day for photography! Look at that sky!
Close up of Arabic writing on the walls.
Trying to imagine the lives that crossed this place. What were they doing? What were their lives like?
And then there was THIS guy!
This was a great spot for really fun photography.
The Lodi dynasty and later British restorers also repaired and altered parts of the structure, including adding balconies and a cupola.
I would have loved to have seen what this place looked like when it was originally built - before the weathered walls were left standing in ruins.
Can you imagine people from long ago walking through these arches?
There is something so amazing about ancient spaces and places.
From the UNESCO Heritage website:
And this was just the beginning of our journey together.
Photos from every angle just to capture this space.
I vaguely remember that this was a "newer" minaret being built but was stopped somehow. Whether by death, or by earthquake, I don't remember. Something happened here over 700 years ago. It's all so unfathomable.
I spent yesterday visiting with the ladies at the Inn. September Quiltvillians 2.0 is in full swing - they checked in on Wednesday afternoon. I asked them to please forgive anything the men folk missed while getting the retreat ready in-between groups. I think they did a pretty good job!
And yesterday's Goose Feathers pattern release and gift-away is off to a grand start!
Did you get your entry in on the gift-away post?
I'll be drawing for 2 winners who will each receive a Goose Feathers PDF pattern from me and an Aqua color roll from our friends at Cotton to Quilts.
Intro pricing: I have placed Goose Feathers at 25% off in the Quiltville Store through 9/30/26. No coupon needed!
*NOTE* I am still in the midst of the website debacle and am having to create new links for the store. If you saved my old bookmark, please update to the new one. You can also get to EVERYTHING by simply going to my main website at Quiltville.com. You can click the store link there.
Last night was another "go to bed at 8pm" night - the jet lag is real. And I forgot to take a sleep aid so I was back up at 1:15am. There was no going back to sleep. Too late (or early in the morning) to take anything. I finally forced myself up around 7am for a shower and a coffee but I am thinking there will be a nap to get me through today, and a sleep aid tonight to make sure I stay asleep the whole time.
Sewing today? Maybe! It's going to take the weekend at least to get things back in order around here.
Anything fun happening for your weekend? Its nearly fall!
I cried when I saw the video of a crowd of Americans singing America the Beautiful around the Kennedy Center last night in an effort to protect it.
Welcome to the weekend, everyone -




























Thank you. I love hearing about yrur trips and all the wonderful photos.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the travelogues as my days of travel are over but seeing the world through you is beautiful
ReplyDeleteIt's Quilt Festival weekend! Who can be sad looking and being inspired!! Thanks for the History and photos.
ReplyDeleteThank you so very much for everything, Bonnie. From your travel to your sentiments about the Kennedy center, not to mention your generosity with your quilting talents! I esp love your last travel photo with the people walking along amongst the ruins. I find the ruins and history fascinating and beautiful and amazing, and the people in the photo give it a nice sense of scale. I want to go in one of these trips with you some day, but I have an old sick pup at home I feel I can't leave. She's 16.5 yrs old. Truth! 😳 Looking forward to some quilting this weekend, and garden being put to bed. Working on silk path. I esp. love tile designs. Best wishes and good luck with the d... website stuff. ☺️❤️
ReplyDelete