>>>>

Monday, April 27, 2009

Where To Start?!


Well, today almost got by me! By the time I got done with the gym, the bank, running errands, lunch, book orders......and a bee meeting I forgot I had tonight, my time was almost out! But I wanted to post SOMETHING about my trip.

This was the first time I have driven so far north, and worked my way back down. I started out on Thursday and drove to Paramus,NJ. It was really exciting for me!! But I have to tell you what...if you live anywhere near there, you have no idea how amazed I was at ALL the toll booths everywhere. And me without an EZ pass. It's a good thing I had cash on me, because I would have gotten stuck somewhere! Now I know why people generally stay in their own area..it can cost you $30 in tolls easily to get from one place to another.

On Friday I had 2 lectures and trunkshows, one to the morning group, and one to the evening group...and I was amazed how far people drove to get there. We filled up every minute with fun and laughter and pedal to the metal sewing. I now know why NJ is "the garden state" because it was JUST BEAUTIFUL...all the trees there were blooming, where down here in NC....they had finished. So I guess there is about a 3 week time delay with spring spreading more slowly up the eastern sea board.

I really enjoyed driving from place to place...it's nice to have my own car and be able to go where I want to go.

4 of us enjoyed dinner at a Thai place in Hackensack! Hackensack is just one of those words you have to love to say :c) There is a song that kept playing through my head by Fountains of Wayne.. "And I will wait for you, as long as I need to, and if you ever get back to Hackensack, I'll be here for you..." It's just a cute little ditty and I kept humming it because it stuck in my head the whole time.

Sunday was my one day free that week...I left Paramus on Sunday morning, and didn't have to be in Newtown PA until dinner time that evening...a trip of only 90 miles or so, so I toodled myself right into Manhattan! It wasn't as bad as I thought....it was a beautiful sunday morning. Tomtom did a good job of taking me where I needed to go.

Originally I had thought I'd spend the day visiting museums, but with a day this beautiful, WHO wants to spend it INSIDE!? Not this chickie. I found a garage....it needed to be secure because the car was full of quilts and cases of books and my luggage and laptop, etc...(This gave me fits of giggles because it was like walking into the garage scene from Ferris Beuhler's Day Off) but it was worth it to pay for safe secure parking for me.

The MS walk was on, and there were throngs of people happy to be out walking for a good cause on a beautiful spring morning. I walked along with them a bit, until I got to the Battery area. I saw signs for Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island tours and decided that would be a great way to spend the day, so I did.

The last time I had visited the Statue of Liberty, I think it was about 1988. Of course the Twin Towers were still there then too..and I was with a huge group of college kids. We had travelled out from Idaho/Oregon to join some other college choirs from around the states, all joining together to perform Brahm's Requiem in Carnegie Hall. We sang it in German and were accompanied by the Manhattan Philharmonic. That was a huge memory in my life, and it was fun to remember that trip as I re walked the streets.

I had never been to Ellis Island before, so that was really interesting too. I know it is something my family wouldn't enjoy....they don't DO museums or tours, so I was happy to do it by myself and take the time I wanted to do it right :c)

Back at the docks...I found where Broadway begins and I walked up Broadway, past Wall street. Found a great deli to have lunch...a RUEBEN of course! and then I walked over to Ground Zero. It was a beautiful day for walking and window shopping. I made my way back to the parking garage by 4pm and was out of the city with no traffic problems at all, and on my way to Newtown PA...

And that's all I have time for tonight! It's almost 11pm and I've got an early morning date with my physical trainer for more personal torture. Gotta love her!!


11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day!
    I admire your adventurous spirit to let the day take you wherever it wants, and to be courageous enough to drop yourself into a city and find your way around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the world thru your eyes Bonnie, what a wonderful time you had!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Home!!! I missed your postings. It sure sounds like you had a good time. Yahoo!! for you.

    Fondly, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sad about all the spammers and trolls. That just makes more work for you. Geesh!!
    Fondly, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:08 AM EDT

    Thanks for taking me along to NY! I enjoyed the story and the pics a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what a fabulous time you had, you certainly are seeing the world... one quilting engagement at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following your blog for awhile. I feel like a lurker into your life sometimes. I just wanted you to know that I hope you come to southern, Ontario Canada sometime. You inspire me with your words and work. Last evening instead of working on some paper work I spent my time cutting up my scraps! I am not a prolific quilter but I figure sometime I will have a great quilt out of my scraps. Enjoy all the fun you are having with your career in quilting. You have given much to the quilting world.
    Jo from southern Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great weekend for you to have been here! We were in Central park and coney Island all weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunday morning is a great time to get around NYC! Glad you make such great use of your "down time." So is there and NYC quilt in your future?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is that statue of the man pulling the other from the water?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know you were in my neck of the woods (northern NJ). I wish I'd known.

    Glad you had fun in the garden state. ~ksp

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)