>>>>

Friday, September 25, 2026

Just Start Anywhere


Did you ever find yourself on a project - center together, switching gears to piece the borders and you just didn't have the fortitude?

There was so much going on that I just couldn't settle at this - though by the looks of this photo I did just fine.

It all started on Wednesday when our Virginia Autumn decided to  just kick in all at once and be rainy and chilly with highs below 60 f degrees.

I switched the modes on the split units that heat the kitchen, quilting quarters and dining room from a/c to heat. (IN SEPTEMBER!) 

I then went into the Hen Den to make sure that the gas stover/fireplace in there was ready to roll because I knew the ladies would love to sit in there with the fire going and enjoy their coffee and some early morning conversation.

Nothing.  No flame.  Batteries for both the remote and the igniter were fine. No flame.

Called Dave over to come check it out - it hadn't been used since April, so things happen in the interim. He couldn't get it to light either.

Called Blue Ridge Heating and Air and left a message.


Hazel! How am I supposed to sew anything with you trying to capture my string piecing?

We knew we'd hear back from Blue Ridge Heating and Air at some point, not sure when they'd be able to fit us in for a service call -

And then yesterday morning our garbage disposal at home (which had been on the slow grind of death for a while now) decided to give up the ghost and not even turn on to let the water drain out of the sink.

Dave was at Lowes buying the replacement disposal when Blue Ridge called to let him know they were on their way.

All of this at once became my morning chaos yesterday - the morning after a group had checked in the night before.

Is it any wonder that I didn't feel like I could settle into my border piecing?


Hazel!

It turns out we needed some parts for the Hen Den stove and it is now functioning as it should. Glad to have that fixed early in stove season.

I think that fact alone will make it turn back to summer in Virginia by next week.

And the new disposal is SO QUIET! Oh my gosh - why did we wait so long?

I had a physical therapy appointment yesterday afternoon that had me leaving the studio at 1:30pm to get there - another disruption in my day, but we did make a good enough start on the string pages that I could get back to it when I returned.


And there are some beautiful starts at the retreat!

It's definitely autumn leaf season.

Which reminds me that I've got autumn decor and quilts to put out, but I think I'll wait until next week and get all of the pumpkin things out as well.


They are just beginning, but new quilts are underway!

This one with a Halloween theme!


This one is called Chain Reaction from Jelly Roll quilts.


Another Violet Craft elephant is just beginning here -


Hand-pieced hexie stars are being machine set together with triangles -


Pattern is called Romance and is found in this issue of Quiltmania.


Pumpkin applique, anyone?


Christmas tree pattern from Pieces of my heart -


The star at the top and a couple of holly leaves and berries from the top of the tree are up on the design wall. This is going to be so cute!


Sister's Choice finish from last year!

I love the colors - she said the only thing she bought was the purple for the border to tie everything together.  This is such a simple pattern - it's found under the Free Patterns tab.

I posted earliere that we were in Jaipur during the celebration of Ganesha's birthday.

Ganpati day, also known as Ganesh Chaturthi, is a popular Hindu festival that celebrates the birth and arrival of Lord Ganesha, the elephant-headed god of wisdom, prosperity, and the removal of obstacles.

On that day we were walking through the flower market in Jaipur on our way to the spice shop where we bought our spices to bring home.

I posted this video to facebbook:


The vibrant colors and just the overwhelming array of flowers was amazing!

Our guide Ajay's mom sent us all a message through him to us:

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to everyone!

“May Lord Ganesha remove all obstacles from your path, fill your life with happiness, peace, and prosperity, and bless you with success in everything you do.
May every new beginning bring new hope and beautiful opportunities.

Ganpati Bappa Morya !
Mangal Murti Morya!


It was so great to be there on such a day of celebration -


And the colors, everywhere!

Don't be afraid to use color in your quilts!


This morning -

The fireplace is running in the basement studio where I'm typing this.

Virginia!  Turn back on the heat!


September's  Goose Feathers  pattern release and gift-away is off to a grand start!

Did you get your entry in on the gift-away post?


I'll be drawing for 2 winners who will each receive a Goose Feathers PDF pattern from me and an Aqua color roll from our friends at Cotton to Quilts.

Intro pricing: I have placed Goose Feathers at 25% off in the Quiltville Store through 9/30/26. No coupon needed!

*NOTE* I am still in the midst of the website debacle and am having to create new links for items in the store. If you saved my old bookmarks, please update to the new one. You can also get to EVERYTHING by simply going to my main website at Quiltville.com. You can click the store link there.

We'll draw for our winners on 9/28/26.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

The best advice for a Friday out there -

Have a great day, everyone -

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)