>>>>

Thursday, August 06, 2026

That Last Stitch -


I took the last stitches in my hexagon quilt assembly.

Stitched my way to that last corner, did a couple of stitches in the corner to anchor it tightly, and then did what I always do when ending an EPP seam...take a few stitches back again toward the center of the seam and knot away from the corner to keep the corners secure and tight.

Two stitches in every corner, then stitch away from the corner for three stitches and then knot.

There is no way my corners are ever going to gap.  

And then...it was done.

It was dark. Night time. Almost time for bed - and I had told myself that I was not going to bed until I had put those last stitches in.

But it was also dark enough that photos had to wait for yesterday.


Back porch rail at the cabin?

Everything was a bit damp from the rain we'd had over night...but photos in daylight still.


My mind got to wondering exactly when I started this.  I thought it was on my trip to China, and I looked that up - China was October 2017. I was working on 60 degree diamonds then.

I thumbed through my Google photos for 2018 and 2019.


Here it is - September 1, 2019.  

The start was somewhere around here.


Flipping to the back side to see if I got all of the papers out!


Yesterday was also for folding all of the towel baskets and getting everything set at the retreat for the TaDa Quilters arrivals.  It was after lunch time before I could find what I needed to piece a backing and start to load this into the machine.


Let's get this quilted!


Due to the time of day I am only 3 passes in but I love how it is coming together. I chose an ivory thread. 


I'm quilting with a design called Feather Meander by Jessica Schick.

I scaled it down a bit. As the hexies are small I wanted the design to quilt through each piece and not leave any hexies unanchored.


It's looking good!


Though Hazel currently has zero opinions.


Binding is made and ready.


I did find one place where the same fabric reconnected to itself.

It stays. At this point it stays!


Today I'll be quilting in the studio and taking breaks to visit with the quilters and hoping this morning that we can even get a dirt road hike in before all the quilty things happen.

Rail is supposed to start around noon so I better get a move on!


Oh, In case you wanted the nitty gritty details:

Hexie size: 3/4“ per side.

Top size: 84" X 91' before quilting.

Total hexagons: 5,582.

2440 days have passed since I started this thing so it's just about 3 hexies a day! HA!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

If this has ever happened to you - then you know! ⁣
Isn't aging just the most wonderful thing?

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone -

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)