>>>>

Friday, August 21, 2026

We're Just Getting Started!


Well this makes things interesting!

I'm really excited to see my "Just Another String Star" coming together.

I was a bit intimidated at first - not that I haven't done Y seams before, but it had been a while and there was the additional stretch and bulk of diamonds with bias on ALL edges, and also all of the seams in the diamonds from the string piecing.

I've developed a system and things are now coming together smoothly!

Except for Hazel. Always Hazel!


Pieces ready to assemble.

The key for me is knowing where I need to leave seam allowances free, and stopping just at the seam allowance line, and where I can sew completely off, edge to edge.

I have read through so many tutorials.  I've gone back to really OLD books with diagrams. I'm using a combination of multiple things and this is working well.



Of course, the half-square triangles are sewn first and treated as one unit.  I find it best to press toward whichever color is ending up touching the star in the corner.  In this case, the green.  If my blocks have red on the outside, I'm pressing toward green.  If the block has green on the outside, I'm pressing toward red.

While I have to leave 1/4'' at the top of the V between the two diamonds, I can sew all the way off the pointy end.

And then I can add the quarter-square triangle ti the right side of the right diamond edge to edge. It makes the next Y seam where that attaches to the next block quarter a more gentle angle and it lays flatter.

Sewing in the corner square:  I start with the square right sides together to the diamond on the right side, and start at the V junction leaving 1/4''.  But I can sew all the way off of the top edge of the block and it makes a nice join at the top edge.  I think you can see it in this photo.  


Stitch the gentle Y seam to join the halves.


This looks funny, but remember that gentle angles equal gentle Y seams and are easy to sew in. I sew across the center of the star first, leaving a 1/4'' seam allowance at each end.  Then sew those gentle Y seams.


And this is where I left things last evening.

My last one was my best one.  It really does get better with practice.  Just mark your 1/4'' on the back of the pieces where you need to leave 1/4'' and don't sew into your seam allowance.

You know that old Blue Oyster Cult song "Don't Fear The Reaper"?

I'm not alternating between "Don't Fear The Y Seam!" And "Don't Fear The Ripper!" because I have had to unpick a few seams and readjust and sew again.

I'm also rethinking my layout - because I was thinking 36 blocks but I need an odd number of blocks across for the checkerboard effect to be balanced.  Or do I not care since this is inspired by an antique quilt - and they didn't care?


Meanwhile next door:  We've got a beautiful Hamilton Gardens coming together in French General fabrics.  Pretty!


A gorgeous star quilt being set together here.


Everyone stopping to oooh and ahhh over the tan featherweight procured at an estate sale for $90.00.

I'm never THAT lucky!


Winter Cardinal is just beginning here!


Check out the Silk Path in greens!


Excited to watch this stained glass braid come together.


Layouts are happening on the design floor areas.

This one reminds me of ice cream!


Cute borders are quickly added to a center panel to become a donation quilt.


Four Patch Fun underway in cute ombre dots!


And yes! We did get our 2 mile dirt road hike in!

Did you enter the drawing on C&T's site to win your copy of Scrap Savvy?


The kind folks at C&T publishing and I are working together to give away five signed copies of Scrap-Savvy to those who enter on their website HERE.

After submitting the form on the entry page, check your email to confirm your subscription and entrance to the giveaway.

(You can always unsubscribe at anytime.)

Gift-Away info: Winners will be selected at random and emailed, and they will have 72 hours to respond with their mailing address. If we do not receive a response, we will draw another winner at random. Good luck!

Book 6 in the Hadley Carroll Quilt City series is now available for kindle and in paperback!

I'll be gifting away 3 signed paperback copies of Quilt City: Payment Declined.


I'll also be drawing for 2 winners who will each receive a Sunnyside PDF pattern from me and a beautiful Notable Neutrals roll from our friends at Cotton to Quilts.


To keep this as hassle free as possible, I will draw for the 3 book winners, the 2 pattern and fabric winners from the SAME sign up on the Gift-Away Post so you only have to enter once.


Intro pricing: The Sunnyside PDF pattern is currently 25% off, no coupon needed - and good through 8/31/26. Hurry!

All The best scraps!

A simple little block that puts every saved bit to good use. Stitch a rainbow of scrappiness! Full color photos, graphics, and multiple unit construction options.

Quilt Size: 90’’ X 90’’ and easily customizable.

Whew. That's a lot.  And there is more to happen today....The quilters will be *mostly* quilting, We might be able to get in another dirt road hike this morning.

I've got to run to the bank for a signature. I also have an eye doc appointment this afternoon so I don't know how much sewing I'll get done.


But I'll leave Hazel in charge to hold down the fort and make sure my star blocks don't go anywhere.

Anything fun up on deck for your Friday?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

There are many things to love about living in the middle of nowhere. ⁣
"But you are so far from civilization!"⁣
Exactly, my friends. Exactly.

Happy Friday -

 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:40 AM EDT

    I am so appreciative of the ability to listen to your blog posts--thank you! While I can still see well enough to read some thngs--listening and looking at the photos allows me to continue this pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:42 AM EDT

    Your String Star is gorgeous! Will the pattern show how to reduce the bulk at the center, where all the star points meet? I'm really looking forward to this pattern when you are ready to release it; my stars lump in the middle. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, you are my favorite designer because you figure out the best way to put a block together and then you share it with us. Thank you for everything you have given to the quilt community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to a Hometown County Fair! Gonna see some Qu I lts. And eat some fair food. Like I did 50 years ago. Have a great Weekend. Oh no, Hazel, in charge....

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)