>>>>

Friday, February 03, 2006

Leaving for retreat!





I'm just about packed! I've got some last minute things to do, but I'll be leaving in about an hour so I wanted to make one more post before I go.

A customer just left from picking up her quilt, and the story behind this quilt is kind of neat!

Carol was given 15 of these dresden plate blocks from the 1930's. (I believe they had belonged to the great-aunt of the person that gave them to her, they had been passed down.) Some of them were completed, some of them still had the button hole stitch to be done on them, and some of them were in partial assembly. She finished what she could, but she was in dire need of ideas on what to do with 15 blocks! Certain settings just wouldn't work and she wanted something that would really be accurate for the time period.

One day while she was bringing me another quilt to quilt for her, she brought her blocks, explained the situation, and I knew I had just the answer! I had a collection of authentic (not repros) 30's fabrics that she could use to make ONE MORE BLOCK and then set them the traditional way she wanted. We were even able to match that solid orangey red for the center of the block! She found the perfect sashing fabric, and then tied it all together clear to the edge by bordering it with muslin that matched the blocks. It turned out just wonderful! I quilted feather sprays in the corners of the blocks, surrounded by tiny stippling to really bring them out. The plate blades are outline quilted, with another feather flower quilted in the red centers of the block.

I'm usually not in love with 30's prints and 30's quilts...but this one has maverick issues! Not all the blocks have the same number of blades! they are different widths, some fat, and some skinnier, I think they fudged with them to get them flat enough to lie down instead of being volcanoes..*LOL* The plates are NOT centered in the blocks, and they are all rotated a bit different which made putting the feather plumes in the corners of the blocks a bit of a challenge. Each feather plume is a bit different too, because I was just quilting to fill up the space. And I like it! It gives the ey e something different to look at and the dresden plates (which is not one of my fave patterns either...repetition wise) seem to be spinning and doing their own thing with their own personalities. the centers of the plates are not completely round! some are egg shaped. It was all these wonderful inconsistencies that made this a fun quilt to quilt on!

Not to mention that I LOVE the look of quilting on plain muslin (and the solid red for that matter) Nothing is as timeless as that.it shows the quilting SO well! little white on white prints that are out now just don't have that same look or feel. I don't know why they are so popular with quilters! Give me plain old muslin any day, it is wonderful to quilt and fits the quilting 'genre' that I like most! (and second comes shirtings if it has to be a print at all :c)

Have a great weekend everyone! I'll be back on monday!

Bonnie

15 comments:

  1. How great that you had some "real" 1930's fabric to help her out. The quilt came out so nice and the quilting is beautiful. You do such great work.
    Have a fun weekend and don't forget to relax some

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the quilt and the story. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting is beautiful! Have a good time at your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice quilt and a very nice geature of you to share your original 1930-fabrics. Hane fun at the retreat.

    Inga

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...I have almost the same quilt on my machine now, but it's a new quilt done with 30's repros. My customer wants very traditional 30's style quilting, so no stippling or fun feathers in the corners for this one. You did a beautiful job on this quilt! How long does it take you to quilt a quilt this elaborate? I know that doing all the orange peels and SID are taking forever on the one I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing a different take on a traditional pattern...as always your quilting makes the quilt! Hope you have a great retreat, no matter if any progress is made on the DJ quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I love the dresden plate quilt, I like the way none of the blades are the same. I hope you are having a wonderful time on your retreat...Tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie I forgot to tell you I love the quilting you did for your customer the quilting is stunning....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt. I love the quilting and the story behind it. Now she has a lovely quilt to treasure instead of a top stored in a cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man Bonnie! It looks great! And who would have ever guessed that you had vintage fabrics to fit one more in for her! Now that is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of quilting on plain fabric too, and your work elevates an ordinairy pattern into something special. I hate white on white fabric, but shirtings.....drool, I can't go past them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great quilt. The top really appeals to me and the quilting is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your machine quilting on this Dresden is just terrific Bonnie! You really brought out the beauty of the blocks.

    The "Maverick-ness" was fun to hear about. Just think of the stories that that quilt could tell.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, This quilt is beautiful!!She will treasure it for always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the effect the feathers have in the corners.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)