I don't know about you, but there are these quilty muse voices that come around every once in a while (Because hearing them constantly would mean I was definitely a bit crazy?) daring me to stop whatever I'm doing and make good use of some aspect of the Scrap User's System that has been neglected for a while.
There is everything in here - I bet if I dug down there will be squares I saved from 20 years ago. I just keep adding them to the drawer like layers of sediment. The prints will tell you how long they've been in there. It's time.
I fell in love with it right away, but it always flipped back to the back burner because....Y seams.
I thought it might make a great EPP project (And it would!) but I already have another hexie going and that means it would be years and years longer before I could get started.
And just because sewing doesn't always mean quilting...there was even some sheet mending going on.
Cut from leftover binding - may as well use it!
I love the red as accent. Solid red has always been "the punch" to tie together random scraps in various colors.
Because it is a solid, it stands out just a bit more and doesn't blend in to whatever else is going on.
So I jumped in, encouraged by the red fabric I still had, and this box of squares that needs to go. And these Y seams are wide and gentle.
I think we are coming along just fine.
We have the mystery coming up. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. I still have my leader & Ender Tulip Swirl slowly growing in the background.
And this will be a very slow piecing at the machine project to take me through the winter. The pieces are small. There is loads of pin matching. Not to mention the cutting.
If anyone has any history on the origin of this quilt pattern could you let me know? I'm not even sure what to call it or where it came from. Kansas City Star maybe?
At the inn, Halloween is busting out all over -
Spider & The Fly on the wall.
Punkin Patch from String Frenzy on the chair.
Light up pumpkins and more pumpkins in the dining room!
Punkin Patch Runner on the sideboard.
More smiling pumpkins on the treadle -
Eclipsed on the foyer wall
Appalachian Autumn on the round table -
I had a blast changing the decor from sunflowers to fall!
And just because sewing doesn't always mean quilting...there was even some sheet mending going on.
After 7 seasons, there were a few seams popping in the corners of the fitted matresses. They still have a lot of wear go go and they have been washed so much that they are so soft!
Still - I know the writing is on the wall and I ordered up 12 new sets of 100% cotton sheets because we women of a certain age need our sheets to BREATHE and not be made with micro-fiber which is another fancy word for polyester plastic.
That still leaves me wondering though....what can I do with the "still good" 100% cotton fabric from these older sheets?

Hazel: "What do you mean, mom?!"
Do you intend to keep them all?!?
I'm not sure yet. But I had to see good fabric go just because it is frayed at the cuff or hem.
The Muddy Creek Misfits have checked in and they were already sewing by the time I headed home last night.
I'm on my way back over to see what they are getting up to - let the retreat fun begin! Again!
Quiltville Quote of the Day -
Let go of things that prevent you from having the time for things that matter.
It sounds so much easier than it is, but it is so worth it!
It sounds so much easier than it is, but it is so worth it!
(Does this apply to old sheet sets?!)
Have a terrific Thursday, everyone -




















14 comments:
Oh Hazel! How do you get anything done with that beautiful grey fluff looking at you? I have had that pattern on my radar too. It is encouraging to see someone else make progress on the machine with it. I am not big on EPP. (But love the patterns that need it)
YUM! Love the "new" pattern you are remaking, too bad we don't have a steady stream of quilting patterns printed in the newspaper anymore, you fill that gap with your blog Bonnie, I always find inspiration from YOU :0). Happy Sewing, can't wait to see this one come together. Happy Sewing
The quilt you are working on is Oxford Rose, also called Rose Star, Colonial Garden and Tumbling Hexagon. If you do a search for "Oxford Rose Quilt Tutorial" you will find out how to make it. Sandy
That block looks like the Rose Star. Marci Baker has written a pattern with a unique method of doing those pesky Y seams.
I love that red accent circle hexie quilt! Can’t wait to see how it comes together. Might even make me want to do Y seams again!
Thanks for all you do.
Barb Kissell
Animal rescues often accept sheets and towels to cover traps and cages.
Sondra
The block Bonnie is working on is the Oxford Rose, also called Rose Star, Colonial Garden, or Tumbling Hexagon. To find the video, search for "Oxford Rose Quilt Tutorial."
Certain people in my household destroy pillowcases, so now when my sheets wear out, I make pillowcases out of the good parts of the sheet, especially flannel. Then if they get ruined I don't feel bad about tossing!
Maybe a giveaway for one of the retreat groups? Make a game of it like that left/right/center game. Or trivia!
For the old sheets you could find a church in the area that makes charity quilts, they often use sheets for the backing. Cher L.
A tiskit a taskit Hazel in a basket. I might keep those sheets and use for background if they are still good.
love love loving that new project!!!
I think it is the Rose Star pattern. As far as Origen, no clue. It is on my list to make too.
I don't know exactly where, but they would take clean old sheets and cut them up into bandage rolls.
Post a Comment
If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.
Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.
Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)