They checked in on Wednesday afternoon.
I popped in to see them on Thursday evening on my way home from the airport after returning from India.
I was only shorted 24 hours or so of their retreat, but it still felt like I didn't get enough time with them!
These fine ladies are the September Quiltvillians 2.0 And regardless, they quilted up a storm on my short-sheeted week.
Golf bags AND a Lupine & Laughter finish? You betcha!
Here is the cute pattern. Got a golfer in your life needing a quilt?
Just a heads up - I'm going to be really bad about naming several of the quilts or giving pattern sources in this post so if you know, please leave them in the comments below!
So happy that Rebecca finished this top on the left, and the quilting on the quilt on the right adds wonderful texture! But pattern names? Jet lag.
I do know what these two are!
Mother and daughter Unity finishes!
And also a cute tulip top and strawberries underway.
Good Fortune and some adorable totes, and don't miss the mini!
Three lovelies all in a row!
This is a true quilt til you wilt image!
Some were brought finished to place on the bed and sleep under. Some were UFOs and kits gifted by a quilting aunt, perfect for finishing at retreat. Some were started and finished at retreat - how many bobbins did she sew through? I have no idea!
They filled the whole porch!
While laundry ran, guess who was sewing?
Guess who was supervising? LOL!
"I hope you'll be able to tell us how to minimize bulk when sewing these stars?" was a comment.
My reply? "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
String piecing is bulky. Period.
Do you want to press open every seam after trimming your diamonds and removing the paper? Go ahead, child. Go ahead.
There are 16 thicknesses (2 layers per seam) coming together in the center so just do the best you can.
Press open where you want, swirl if you desire.
As for me, I'm mashing flat with an iron and just going for it. String quilts will always be bulky.
(Feels good to get that off my chest. Thank you.)
Now to get the rows together. I'll start working on the borders likely over the weekend.
Today we are putting finishing touches on to make everything ready for the Shippenstitchers.
Another stop on our way through Delhi -
This included a handwashing and foot washing area outside of the temple. We covered our heads and went in with bare feet as is the custom.
While we weren't allowed to take photos inside the temple, we could photograph the kitchens and the amazing dining hall where so many meals are provided.
On an average day the Temple feeds thousands of meals on festival days it is even more meals.
It's an amazing service to the people. Fed is best!
I still have so much to share about our visit to India and will be sharing snippets over the next little while. This trip has had such a huge impact on me.
September's Goose Feathers pattern release and gift-away is off to a grand start!
Did you get your entry in on the gift-away post?
I'll be drawing for 2 winners who will each receive a Goose Feathers PDF pattern from me and an Aqua color roll from our friends at Cotton to Quilts.
Intro pricing: I have placed Goose Feathers at 25% off in the Quiltville Store through 9/30/26. No coupon needed!
*NOTE* I am still in the midst of the website debacle and am having to create new links for items in the store. If you saved my old bookmarks, please update to the new one. You can also get to EVERYTHING by simply going to my main website at Quiltville.com. You can click the store link there.
My mom at 85 is finally learning to use a smartphone.
She finally has a strong enough cell signal in her small mountain town of Garden Valley, Idaho to really warrant having one.
In the last couple of days we've talked three times, mostly because she's discovered what a pocket dial is! I love it!
Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone -























10 comments:
Something I pull out when I have bulky seems...a hammer. It flattens them fairly well then I hit it with the iron.
I had so much fun at the retreat! What a great group of supportive, friendly, creative women! <3 And now I am inspired to do a string quilt! The purple/blue/cream batik quilt in picture #3 on the right (after golf clubs) is Karen Montgomery's Brown Bag Mystery quilt from this year (2026) and was quilted by Rey Rodriguez of unperfectlyperfectquilts (Indiana).
"Pocket dial" is so much nicer than "Butt dial" when talking about Mom! Lol!
My mother carried Chicklets in her purse. All the grandkids knew she had them. A package went with her when she passed away.
Oh Bonnie! You made my day with the story of your mom and her smartphone. My mom did that all the time. And then she would say, “well, as long as long as I have you on the phone”; and we would talk and talk and talk. Enjoy those accidental calls!
My mother is in her nineties and she uses her smart phone all the time. Sends texts and GIFs too. Bit of a learning curve but she doesn't want to be out of the conversation. I remember the 1/2 stick of chewing gum. and windows that rolled down.
The pink mints were in my Grandma's purse. Remember them? Ppcket dial calls to keep in touch. It makes her day I'm sure. Beautiful Porch Quilts as always. Happy Hump day.
Your Double mint gum memory made me laugh out loud! Definitely remember that one, too! I decided to try a new skill for a table runner = a large, folded star center with 4 rows of small Cathedral windows on each side. Thanks for your continuing inspiration!
I have a heavy iron, but the hammer sounds like a great idea. Think I'll get out my grandmother's hammer for that job. She was the one who got me interested in quilting.
I recently learned to 'swirl the seams' on an 8 point star. It is kind of like spinning the seams on a 4 patch. I can't explain it but you should be able to google for info and video it if you want to give it a try. Annie
Post a Comment
If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.
Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.
Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)