I snapped this photo as I was hiking back UP the drive in between rain showers yesterday morning and Hubster Dave was coming down the drive with dogs in tow, just giving them the excitement of a CAR RIDE to Lowes and back.
(Say it, and they go nuts. Here we are as fully grown adults spelling out C_A_R_R_I_D_E so they wouldn't know what we were talking about beforehand...)
Yes, I'm still walking my drive down and back up again after breakfast before heading to the inn. It takes 10 minutes. But it is only 10 minutes of terrible.
I walked into the dining room at the inn to find that cookie and recipe exchange was in full swing.
These gals go ALL OUT!
I mean, seriously all in!
And you just know that with cookie exchange there is also going to be a gift exchange!
And there were already quilt projects coming together on the foyer design floor.
Sampler blocks on the design wall!
These are all from my former Addicted to Scraps column in Quiltmaker!
Table runner ready for quilting.
Building blue houses!
And yes, that fits the Iceland theme too as Iceland's flag is also red, white and blue.
More cute bunnies!
The Bunny Bunch by Elizabeth Hartman.
Cute fabrics!
Pattern from this book.
These patterns are great for large prints.
It's called Jumping Jacks.
Another 3 yard quilts favorite.
Two baby quilts are also underway!
Pattern is Love Grows Here by Maple Cottage Designs.
It may have been rainy, but lunch was still served on the porch!
And yes, there was an attempt to make more stars.
I just can't resist her. Where she was before she came to us I'll never know...but the fact that she chose us. Chose to stay. Gives love and affection and yes, even if she thinks my pieces coming through the machine are play time.
How can you look into these eyes and not love her?
Last night's handwork.
Corner sections are together.
I'll now add the corner section to the last diagonal row into one chunk, and then add that to the mother ship.
The thing that will take a long while? (And loads of patience!) Getting the last two borders on. Thank heavens they are already pieced.
It's impossible to get a personal answer back to someone who writes a comment as anonymous.
Yes, I have done other EPP shapes. I've worked with 60 degree diamonds, and made a couple of quilts with them but I have to say that I keep going back to hexies because of their size, (I'm using 3/4'' per side) and the fact that there re no dog ears to tuck in and deal with.
I really dislike fiddling with dog ears on EPP shapes.
I have all of these hexagon EPP papers at the ready that can be used multiple times before they are too worn and need to be tossed.
I don't feel like investing in more paper shapes just to do something "different" when the designs I have in mind using the hexagons still hold my interest.
The possibilities are endless with hexagons, not everything has to be a grandmother's flower garden.
Will I ever try anything else? Maybe after I've put the next thing that has been playing in my brain down into fabric...and if there are enough years left in my ability to hand stitch - I'll think about doing some other shape.
Are your saved scraps overflowing and out of control?
If so - Hello, Gretchen! just might be the pattern you've been waiting for, the quilt you've been eager to dive in and make.
Head over to the Gift-Away Post to read all about it and get your entry in for the Gift-Away. 2 winners will each receive a Hello, Gretchen! PDF pattern from me and:

A Notable Neutrals fabric roll from Cotton to Quilts!
Intro Pricing: I've placed the Hello, Gretchen! PDF pattern at 25% off - no coupon needed - through 7/31/26. Discount applied at checkout.
If this is your first time downloading digital patterns from my store to a computer click HERE.
If you intend to download to an iPhone/iPad click HERE.
Especially designed for paper piecing, Hello, Gretchen! is the perfect quilt to turn your saved bits into sparkling beauty! Full color photos, diagrams, step by step instruction and printable foundations included. Strings and scraps at their best!
Quilt Size: 84'' X 84''
*This pattern assumes the maker has at least a basic knowledge and some experience with foundation paper piecing by machine.
A reminder to EVERYONE to not use auto-fill (The prompt that puts in your name, mailing address, phone number, everything with a click.)
As this is a PDF pattern, no mailing address is necessary. Place the item in your cart, then go to the cart page to check out by entering your name and email address manually. I don't know why it works this way, but it does.
If there is an issue with your computer - it could be YOUR OWN browser/security settings. Browser extensions preventing pop-ups can also be an issue. Try using *Incognito mode* to see if the problem persists. Try a different browser, Or order on your phone or tablet, then go to your computer for the download email.
Your VPN or Adblocker can also cause problems when placing an order.
So much nitty gritty! But there you have it.
Today? More rain! But since the quilters are inside and machines are humming, the weather can do whatever it wants.
We are SO grateful for the rain. Yesterday at lunch on the porch the comment was made that "It's never been this cool in July on retreat before. It's usually scorching when we are here."
It's a nice change. We weren't even 60 degrees yesterday afternoon when I came home.
I'm in long jeans!
Quiltville Quote of the Day -
This is a photo I took of a vintage quilt that I'd like to try in EPP, but again..DOG EARS and long skinny points.
I have the photos saved in my "Maybe Someday" folder.
Maybe.
Someday.
Have a fantastic Friday, everyone -

8 comments:
you might be surprised to learn how quickly dogs can learn how to spell!
I have a lot of someday quilt patterns, and cross stitch ones. 😊
Love your quote of the day! My thought usually gets lost when I walk through a doorway... but if I go back through the same doorway and enter the room again, the thought returns about 80% of the time. Try it!
At our house all my husband needs to do is move from his chair and our two aussies start barking. So we spell backwards. They ve not
-- Even cats. I had one who not only learned "vet" but also "v-e-t." Look of panic either way!
Re the Quiltville Quote of the Day: my dad would call this "Thinking about the Hereafter": What was I here after?
There's something about Russian Blues. They pick their human and stick close!
Carolyn
WE had cat that learned chicken. He would sit in front of the frig and give the Siamese chicken call., whenever there was chicken in there.
I am sew glad you get to see all the fun the Retreaters bring to the Inn. Fun car ride for Zoey and Mabel. Lol, can dogs really understand your spelling. It was 104° in Tri-Cities yesterday! I have a Christmas Sew Day tomorrow. Wrapping up something to share in our gift exchange. There will be Ham!!
Post a Comment
If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.
Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.
Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)