>>>>

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Days upon Days–Bringing on the Strings!


One of the great things about Mountain Quilt Fest -

Evening workshops for the working folks -

Or those who just want to take TWO workshops in one day because they can’t get enough!

You can take a short half-day three our workshop for a  perfect evening of “needle through fabric” time –and my Basket-Weave Strings workshop is the perfect way to get your feet wet with some very simple string piecing basics – but I know you won’t stop there.  Because once you start stringing, there is no stopping!


The piles started out small, controlled and fairly organized -


It didn’t take long until the baskets and boxes were fluffed and over-flowing as we dug!

Not enough variety in your own bringings?  Well, we had 36 of your newest bestest friends in class – arrange a swap or two, sister!

We were also focusing on working with not only value – but what constitutes a “neutral” by my definition.  Anything with a white, cream, beige, tannish background that reads “lighter than medium” (Or a brown paper bag!) can play in the LIGHT areas – but try to keep the colors to the colored side. 


Reds and neutrals -
Blues and neutrals -
Great for a Quilt of Valor!


WONDERFUL!

Strips don’t have to be STRAIGHT, in fact it is much more interesting if they tilt and lean.  Wedge shaped strips add a lot of interest.

I loved the stories going around the room of just where this or that fabric came from and the memories associate with it.  Comments of “Hey, I used to have that fabric – about 30 years ago!” were heard and laughed about.

“How come that fabric looks as new as it did the day it came off the bolt?  And when I look in the mirror – I don’t??”  LOL!

“That fabric?  It’s still too ugly – cut it smaller!  3/4’’ is good.  If there is only 1/4’’ showing I think it’s doable.”


3 hours can fly by in the blink of an eye-

But we packed them full with as much quilty fun as we could!


We got a mighty good start, don’t you think?

If you’d like to give this a try, you’ll find the free pattern/tutorial for Basket-Weave Strings under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.  Get stringing!

It’s a short little video as class was only 3 hours, but there are some really fun photos in the video below.  Click to play:



From here on things shift a day - because Shift Happens!

Yesterday’s Sand Castles quilt photos will be posted tomorrow – Today there are also 2 half-day workshops up on deck: Moth in the Window & Box Kite which will be posted in their own turn – in the mean time I’m packing up my hotel room this morning as I’ll be hitting the road and pointing Moby the Van toward Virginia as soon as class is over at 4pm.

I’m spending the rest of the weekend at the Cabin as nothing can be mailed out until Monday.  Tuesday I fly to Louisiana for the Gulf States Quilting Association event.

I really need to have a talk with my office manager on this kind of crazy scheduling! LOL!



Last night’s great escape for dinner with the Crazees!

Thank you so much for the invite – it was a blast!


Okay Levi – show me how you can really fit your mouth around that pimento cheese burger!


Deep fried deviled eggs, anyone?

It’s a southern thing – and surprisingly yummy!



Quiltville Quote of the Day

When I can't control the big things, I focus on the little things that make me happy!

Sand Castles quilt from my book String Frenzy.  Do you have your copy yet?

Confessions of a tired quilter – this was supposed to be on a close-up of Basket-Weave Strings, but running on sheer exhaustion, I put the quote on the wrong quilt. 

Oh, well!  

Have a wonderful Saturday, everyone!



10 comments:

  1. Travel safely, Bonnie! and relax. Take an hour for you when you get to the cabin and just breath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great time (vicariously for me) was enjoyed in Pigeon Forge. Hope you get plenty of R & R this weekend. Looking forward to your posts from Slidell - I lived there back in the early 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travels and enjoy your weekend! Fried deviled eggs? Never heard of such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deep fried deviled eggs. I'd try them because I love deviled eggs. Of course, almost anything deep fried is yummy. I can honestly say I've never, ever, seen them on any menu. Enjoy your weekend at the Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and get yourself rejuvenated for your next teaching adventure. Once the Inn is open you can sleep for a month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Open you have a nice relaxing day at the cabin those basket weave string blocks look amazing ugh a fabulous effect.
    Never seen deep fried devilled eggs but they do look intriguing lol
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy reading your blog, but, to save my sanity, I'll have to discontinue it- it jumps around so much that I can't easily read it- I think it's from all of the advertising that you have going on- I realize that you want the income from them, but for me they make the blog unreadable. So, farewell and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I click on the blog after the whole thing loads on my computer and then the text and photos get pulled together and I can read it. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:49 PM EDT

    Hi Bonnie, I just wanted to say thank you. My daughter-in-law & I took your Box kite class, at Quiltfest last week. Admittedly, I was feeling overwhelmed and nervous, as I hadn't been to one of your classes...and I had not done any quilting for about 10 years. You were very sweet, not to judge :-) ... and I just wanted to tell you, yesterday I sat down and started working on my quilt top. As of today, I have nearly 30 squares completed! I had hoped to post a picture, with my comment, but can't see how to do it. Anyway, I am hopeful to see you in another class, soon. Next time, I will let my hair down and enjoy it! You're a peach, Bonnie. Thanks again. Sue Peer

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)