>>>>

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Just Horsing Around–and a Winner!

20181016_151029

Look, Ma – NO SNOW!

With yesterday morning’s guild presentation given and packed up – we boxed up what remained of my measly merchandise and book signing table (half a box worth!) and headed out in Stacey’s big ole’ dodge truck to roam the Nebraska countryside.

I got to see HER stomping grounds!  A 7 acre hobby farm complete with 100 year old farm house.

COUNTRY LIFE!  And I was feeling the need for it.

Sweaters and jackets were left in the back seat as temps rose to a blissful 70 degrees – such a change from the snow of Sunday.

I guess it is safe to say that I have experienced all 4 seasons Nebraska has to offer just in the short time that I’ve been here.  LOL!

20181016_151319

Oh, the pygmy goats!  So cute!

20181016_151132

Four of the hungry little beasts!

20181016_151501

Old corn crib still standing!

20181016_145936

Blue sky, puffy clouds, acres of openness, and horses!

Stacey had been talking about her farm as we have gotten to know each other over the past several days, and I am so happy that we had the opportunity to come out and see her surroundings.  It’s just beautiful out here.

A former “in town” girl, complete with "desirable upscale neighborhood living, horrid HOA and rush hour traffic," she and her hubby moved their life out to the farm about 1 1/2 years ago, downsizing to a farmhouse that hadn’t been updated in at least 40 years and have never been happier.

“Things will get done one thing at a time.” she says – and that is exactly the best way to do it.

Isn’t it funny that we spend the first half of our lives trying to acquire what we think will make us “Happy” or “Successful” and  by midlife we finally figure out that we've had it backwards the whole time?

20181016_150051

Two happy grazers in the sunshine.

I loved rambling down the gently rolling roads watching the scenery pass us by.  (Okay.  It was mostly corn.  LOL!) And you just knew wherever there was a cluster of trees up ahead, you’d find an old farmhouse tucked right in -

It was an afternoon for letting our hair down, busy workshop and lecture schedules and time tables left behind – an afternoon to just ramble.

20181016_150306

Hello, curious big fella!

20181016_150321

Heading out where grass is greener to join the others.

20181016_151847

Stacey’s Farmstead as we headed up the road.

Nebraska, you are BEAUTIFUL!

And yes, there was a bit of shop hopping that occurred, but I’m off to the airport so that will be saved for a future post.  

Suffice it to say that some stash enhancement happened.  This girl can’t leave Nebraska without a bit of Husker’s Big Red fabric in her suitcase.

Our Quiltmaker Magazine Bundle Gift-Away closed on Wednesday – and here I am a week later finally drawing the winner.  

So sorry – it’s just been hopping, and there hasn’t been time.  Those entries weren’t going anywhere – so I thought I’d do it now before my ride arrives.


Remember this fun bundle?

Original post HERE.

81_2

Looking for entry 81 of 5,101!

81_1

Connie Self!  This bundle is yours!

Connie, I’ve sent you an email – please reply with your mailing address so I can get your goodies out to you.

Thanks for playing along, everyone!  We’ll have another fun Gift-Away quite soon – so stay tuned!

My busy bag is ready for stitching during my flights home.  My suitcases are packed and waiting by the door.  As soon as this posts I’m on my way to the airport – I’ll be home by dinner time!

Thanks for EVERYTHING, Nebraska! You won't soon be forgotten - you definitely ARE "The Good Life!"

IMG_20181017_071015_904000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day

Blue Skies quilt  from my book String Fling shared during yesterday’s guild meeting!

How determined are you? Today is the day to encourage yourself forward!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, folks!


6 comments:

  1. So happy to see you in Nebraska. My mother was born in Elkhorn, and I grew up near-by in Gretna. It is a beautiful place and since I don't live there any more I miss it very much. The Cottonwood trees are my favorites . Glad you enjoyed your visit ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patricia, the cottonwoods are my favorite thing about nature here, too!

      Delete
  2. Glad you're headed home. Nebraska is a big state to cross by car. Nice to see your pictures of what can't be viewed from the Freeway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, did Stacey tell you that her older sister and I were best friends growing up??? Crazy small world in NE, too! Safe travels! Sandi Griepenstroh, president of the GI guild (and official Pink Lady) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandma grew up in Curtis NE and then moved to Kimball NE and married before coming to Colorado. When I go back there for genealogy I just love it there!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was our distinct pleasure to have you here. Thank you for coming to Big Red Country!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)