>>>>

Saturday, June 09, 2018

Of Fabric, Quilts, and Long Ago Legends --

20180608_151245
I couldn’t stand it.

I couldn’t stand one more day of working in an ever-increasing chaos.  (Did you see my before photo yesterday?)

Sometimes I just feel the need to take a step back and rework my game plan.

This included taking a bag of “nearly vintage!” gifted fabric, pressing and cutting into Scrap User’s System sizes --

Not just for the purpose of clearing the cutting table, but in preparation for this year’s Leader & Ender Challenge to-be-released in just a few weeks!

I hope these scraps intrigue you! 

I’m throwing a bunch of “bigger print” charm squares into the mix – for a bunch of splashy fun.  Just you wait and see what we will be up to come July!
20180608_151251


Pilgrim & Roy 1998!

Thanks for this blast from the past, Cathy!

20180608_164051

Rocking and waiting.

You know how it goes?  Well, it went like that.  Our appointment window with CenturyLink went from 1pm –5pm – and I was there at Quiltville Inn just waiting for them to come hook up the internet to the Post Office.  They were a complete NO SHOW.  And what’s worse, no one calls to let you know they are not going to make it.

You try to call their number to find out what is going on and you are either on some vicious phone mail jail that gets nowhere (And never to a live person) or you spend more than an hour on a “help chat” with someone in India who tells you every 3 minutes (likely by automated response system) “Please hold, we are checking”.

We never did find out what happened --- and I fought hard to not let this ruin my day. 

I swept.  I pulled some weeds.  I “de-spider-ized” the eaves with a broom getting all the busy summer webs down around the porch.  And I rocked and waited.

I also opened mail!

20180608_155849

Thank you, Donna in Florida!

Wisdom from the Kitchen Witch!

20180608_155844

So cute!

The box was found upon returning from our motorcycle ride on Thursday.  I couldn’t take it back to the cabin on the motorcycle, so I locked it in the house and dug into it yesterday while waiting for CenturyLink.  I love this!

Keep your chin up so you don’t notice the soup spilled on your blouse!  PERFECT!

20180608_160506

I spent some time perusing these lovely manuals that came with the VS2 gifted by Kim.

20180608_160322

Check that date at the top – June 9th,1892!

120 years ago TODAY!

The paper is brittle, and the manuals are kept in an acid-free folder, but I carefully turned each page, amazed at how detailed the graphics were in 1892 – and that these manuals survive intact today.

20180608_183931

Found at the Alleghany County Library, Sparta, NC!

Upon giving up entirely on CenturyFINK (our new nickname for them)  we headed off toward Sparta, NC to attend the lecture/book signing/concert I mentioned yesterday.

I love small town events!  Where else can you walk into a county library after hours, sit yourself down in a chair, be entertained by a wonderful author over the story of Tom Dooley, followed up by a great concert!  While waiting for events to begin, I of course spied these wonderful quilts on the walls…

20180608_183938

Tea pots and coffee pots, oh my!

Who made this beauty and what is the story??

20180608_183950

Can all the things!

CUTE!

I had to duck behind audio/visual equipment for the concert to get photos – I couldn’t see any placards with descriptions on who made these, but I was so happy to be surrounded by quilts at this event.

Click to play:



20180608_211946

Charlotte’s book – The Tom Dooley Files.

20180608_211903

Music presented by Rob McHale & Co.

20180608_210946

It was a fascinating evening, and I purchased a signed copy of The Tom Dooley Files for the Inn.  It’s local folklore – a love triangle with interesting twists and turns.  And it all happened in Wilkes County, NC – where the North Carolina cabin was.  In fact, Tom Dula’s (the original spelling of Dooley) grave is close to where friends Rick & Mona live – and we want to go find it.

This morning my world has taken a bit of a turn, and I’m asking for your positive prayers.

I just got off the phone with my mom – she talked to my brother Mark last night, and it seems that something has come back in his brain – he has an MRI scheduled soon to see deeper into what is going on.

I love my brother so much.  I feel so far away.  And I leave tomorrow on a trip to Kansas City, Missouri.

There is nothing I can do from here but pray, and I’m asking those who believe in the power of positive thinking and prayer to join me.

I can’t find the words to express what I’m feeling right now.  I just love him so much.  We all do.  Thank you.

June 09, 2018 at 07_20AM

Quiltville Quote of the Day.

I chose this before talking to my mom….

I am not going to worry today.  I’m going to focus on gratitude and joy -

Again, thank you so much.

I’m headed home – there is much that needs to be done before tomorrow comes -



67 comments:

  1. Dear Bonnie, so sorry about this news but you will have oodles of positive thoughts coming your way once people read your blog. I will definitely be one of them. Keep your chin up, even without the soup. God moves in mysterious ways. Love to you and all the family. Linda Hodges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bonnie, I am so sorry to learn about your brother. Is there anything that I can do for you for him from here? He's only about an hour away from me. If I remember correctly, he lives in Gilbert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are with you and your family Bonnie. Keep up the positive thoughts for your brother 💕💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be overwhelmed by the support & hus, wishes and prayers that go your way. I choose joy while holding my chin up high. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, CenturyFink, that's the new name around here. I hope you can get the system hooked up and I hope it works once they do, they're not user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will be praying for you and your brother Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I will be thinking of and praying for you guys as I'd told you when Mark was first diagnosed about losing DH to glioblastoma now nearly 6 yrs. ago. And my brother just had his leg amputated below the knee. I know how hard it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending love and hugs my friend. Lots of love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, you do inspire me to see more, be positive and a better person. Love the fabrics from Cathy I remember when she told me she was giving them to you. Praying for your brother and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for all. Joy is a wonderful thing to share in both good times and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be praying for Mark and his family, which includes you too Bonnie. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Positive thoughts and energy. .prayers and hugs all sent your way .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prayers for your family. Try to focus on Joy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers. And Hugs, Lots and Lots of Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, I will certainly be praying for Mark. I know there are many praying for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, my prayers for your brother and family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry to hear about brother; but hopefully, it will not be anything significant. A cousin had brain surgery and they thought something else was in there but when they went in, it was scar tissue. You may remember I ask about your brother when meeting you in Napa. I have 2 precious brothers and understand. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praying for your brother, your family and you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saying prayers for your brother! I thought you'd like to know tgat you were mentioned the other day by Holly Anne Knight from String & Story. She's starting a Shop ayour Stash Party this summer and will be covering scraps. She adjusted your Scrap User System to meet her needs and she calls you a genius a few times! I agree with her! Thanks for all you do for the quilting world!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will keep your brother and family in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  21. Prayers for your brother and your family! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Prayers for your brother and the whole family. I don't know if you remember, but I showed you my 'Indy Purple' top based on your Narrangsett Blue in Lafayette, Indiana in November, 2014. I am giving it to my granddaughter tomorrow at her brdal shower. Thanks for the patrern.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Prayers will be made on behalf of your brother and your family. Prayers for you too Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am praying Mark gets good results on his test.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to hear about your brother. You all will be in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  26. Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way from Michigan and looks like many other places also. I hope you can feel all the positivity coming with all these messages.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree- if that is a mess-please don’t visit me!! lol. You’ve inspired me to do a bit of organizing. It really is more like moving piles closer together but I can see the floor! That’s progress. Found a piece of fabric I bought at Zayres. They have been out of business for decades!!!! Figured I bought it in 1979. Oh, my! Thank you, Bonnie!! And try to have peace about your brother. He needs you to be ok with how ever it goes. Just be in the moment and feel all the positive energy coming your way!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  28. God Bless You and your family. Having lost my husband to cancer I know how
    hard this time is. There is nothing but prayer and at times that feels like
    not enough. You are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sending only good vibes to you and your Mark. Please add Dalton, my DGS, to your list. He is a new Ranger in the Army in GA. Thanks. I am so grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will pray. Mountains can be moved and miracles can happen. Rest your soul and just keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sorry to hear the news about your brother. Will be in our prayers

    ReplyDelete
  32. Keep that positive attitude. And lots of prayers are being said. Miracles do happen. Hugs to you Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My sincerest best wishes and positive thoughts to your brother for his good outcome, and to the rest of your family for the strength to support him and each other at this trying time. Hugs all around.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous8:46 PM EDT

    Choose joy and the power of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hugs and prayers for you and your family Bonnie! Our siblings are such special people in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Our dear heavenly father, be with Miss Bonnie and her extended family as they are needing your strength and your grace. We pray that you will put your healing hand upon her brother and help the physicians to help him, in Jesus name we pray amen.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Bonnie, I searched for this prayer for you and your brother.

    O God my God! I beg of Thee by the ocean of Thy healing, and by the splendors of the Daystar of Thy grace, and by Thy Name through which Thou didst subdue Thy servants, and by the pervasive power of Thy most exalted Word and the potency of Thy most august Pen, and by Thy mercy that hath preceded the creation of all who are in heaven and on earth, to purge me with the waters of Thy bounty from every affliction and disorder, and from all weakness and feebleness.

    Thou seest, O my Lord, Thy suppliant waiting at the door of Thy bounty, and him who hath set his hopes on Thee clinging to the cord of Thy generosity. Deny him not, I beseech Thee, the things he seeketh from the ocean of Thy grace and the Daystar of Thy loving-kindness.

    Powerful art Thou to do what pleaseth Thee. There is none other God save Thee, the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Generous.


    ReplyDelete
  38. Praying for God's will to be done. Prayers for all the family!

    ReplyDelete
  39. My prayers are with you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Prayers for dear sweet brother and for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your brother Mark. My brother's name is Mark too, so now there are two named Mark on the prayer list! Keep us posted as you can. Blessings and peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So sorry to hear about your brother my prayers and best wishes go out to you all.
    It’s so frustrating when companies don’t turn up for their scheduled appointments, but sounds like you managed to do a few housekeeping chores so not a complete waste of your time.
    Your evening at the library sounds very interesting and the entertainment was lovely. The quilts on display are beautiful.
    I hope you can enjoy the rest of your weekend
    Love and quilty hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  43. A hug from Australia. Thoughts can travel a long way so my positive thoughts are on the way to you. Don't worry about the blouse just keep that chin up. L & K to you and your brother

    ReplyDelete
  44. Prayers for you all Bonnie. Keep on with the blogs, they bring a much needed brightness to my day

    ReplyDelete
  45. The sweetness of your heart fills this blog. Your openness and honesty of all life's struggles makes you one of "us". That, my girl, is why your loved by "us" all. I have joined this group in praying for God's healing mercies for your brother and asked that He encompass your family in His mighty arms through all that is ahead. No matter the outcome, it is comforting to truly know that it is God's will.Bonnie, I hope you can"feel" the hugs and supporting arms of all your friends here.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Prayers for all in your family, as each one is touched by thoughts of your brother. May the Healing Presence of Our Heavenly Father stay within you and your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm so sorry to hear the news about your brother. I will keep you and he in my thoughts. Sending healing hugs your way....

    ReplyDelete
  48. Bonnie, I am sending prayers for your brother. Lets keep positive thoughts going his way!
    hmmmm, a singer shuttle....I just acquired one with out a manual, so i am not sure how a shuttle machine works! It is a beautiful machine, but alas, she just sits there....

    ReplyDelete
  49. Keeping nothing but positive joyful thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Praying for strength and endurance for the many many hours of things you do every day!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Bonnie, I am sending prayer's for you and your family. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  51. I lost my brother to Hodgkins about 34 years ago and feel your pain, mine felt like sheer terror! Asking the angels to provide a miracle for all y'all, hugs, prayers and blessings... Cats from Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  52. Praying for your brothers health and peace in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am sorry to hear of your worries about Mark. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Prayers to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Praying for Mark and you.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Adding my energy to all the rest that is coming your way, and Mark's. Prayers said, love sent.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Good find at Sparta, NC library. Praying for your brother, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  58. Prayers on the way for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  59. My husband had a dear school mate whose last name was Dula. I'll have to tell my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Sending positive thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Your brother and all of you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Prayers for your brother, Mark, and all the family with this hard news. The prayer that never fails: "Thy will be done." May the minutes, hours and days be filled with peace and moments of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I'm sorry about your brother, Bonnie -- it's so hard to NOT be able to help.
    The story about Tom Dooley/Dula is fascinating. (When I was in jr. high and folk music was popular I knew the song. At the same time Dr. Tom Dooley was engaging in humanitarian work in Viet Nam. I confused the Appalachian hero with the physician.)

    ReplyDelete
  64. Prayers for your brother Bonnie. Did you know there's a movie about Tom Dooley. It starred Michael Landon about 1959. It was a good movie, I thought it was so romantically sad.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)