>>>>

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Quilty Angels Amongst Us!

32440453_10209094707844951_5143417413647204352_n
I know you think I’m a deadbeat – NO Quilty Box drawing happened last night!

When asked to go out to dinner, I’m no fool.

Of course – that means small town restaurant appeal: Great home style cooking served up with a side of sweet southern drawl and a tall iced tea with lemon.

Only the place we were going had a sign on the door “We will be closed for family vacation between this date and this date.”

Again – small town living!  All of the employees also got family vacation time.  In this day and age of employment, it is pretty much unheard of.

We ended up at our favorite Mexican place – and then the real reason for the “Would you like to go to dinner?” invitation was revealed.

“I need to make a stop at Lowes…..”

And that has nothing to do with the title of this post, or in a round about way it does.  And if you give me a minute, I’ll get there!

This picture at the top!  How fun is this!

I was sent this photo by Caroline & Mary who popped by the Inn on their way last week to or from somewhere.

PHOTO OP!!

I love that you are so excited, and your excitement fuels my own.  This same day I received another message from a friend in Georgia who was on her way north for a family funeral. “I’ve just checked into Mouth of Wilson!” the message read.

I think we are putting this no-where of a place on the MAP!

And then a message from Pam whom I’d never met pinged my phone via Facebook messenger just as we were arriving in town for dinner last night. (See, I told you there was a segue!) There is a long stretch of highway with no service at all, and then bam….everything starts pinging my phone playing catch-up.


Screenshot_20180522-190254_Messenger
Oh my goodness!  Heavy and Fragile?!

From a quilt friend I had never met in person?

And she explained the same thing….had no service until she got about 40 miles east up the road and could let me know what she had done.

And we still had those in town errands to run.  My dinner was consumed in a hurry – I needed to go, go, go and find out what this was.

But first – Auto Zone for a battery.  And then Walmart for groceries.  And a computer monitor.  And…..more stuff than we had planned on acquiring.  Time was ticking!

And then the Lowes trip happened.  Cinder blocks for this project, lengths of gutter for the other project, tubes of this, packages of that…a bench grinder for sharpening lawn mower blades.

I’m getting very antsy by this time-

At the check out line……”Wait a minute….there is something I forgot, just stay right here with the cart.” 

I am NOT a patient waiter!

20180522_203631

And I shall call this “Sunset Over Dollar Tree.”

An Appalachian Still Life

From the parking lot at Lowe’s, West Jefferson, North Carolina!

Can we GO NOW?!

20180522_210629

Black plastic trash bag, on the porch, envelope addressed to me!

This reminds me.  I need to make friends with the postal folks about a mile up the road at the newer post office.  Let them know I’m here.  Just in case someone sends something without a street address on it!  They might not take as kindly to it as my Wallburg, NC post office folks do!

What is in this bag?  It’s lumpy, heavy, and doesn’t feel fragile, but what the heck is in it?

We pulled it in off the front porch, turned the lights on in the foyer and began to untie the bag tails to get a peek.

20180522_211011

Angels.  Amongst Us.  Every Day.

Ikea lights for sewing tables in a scrappy mix of colors.  How did she know I planned on furnishing work spaces with these?

Beautiful twin sheet sets – enough for 9 beds.  I am in tears by this time, and poor Dave – he got a first hand witness of just how kind and caring and supportive quilters can be.

20180522_211159

I needed these words so badly yesterday!

YOU are making our dreams come true.  With boundless love.  And it has left me speechless.  Pam, I can't thank you enough.  This is incredible. 

Another quilter contacted me yesterday about her mother’s blue willow dishes in Albuquerque.  She is in California.  We both agreed the distance would be a hindrance, but I set about figuring out a way to have her dishes find new life at the Inn.

Nancy, another friend - will be traveling this way from Arizona this time NEXT YEAR with her RV on a trip.  She is bringing me a phone chair, that belonged to HER mother – thinking I might want it after I lost the one in Wilkesboro several months back, not knowing we were even purchasing the Inn at the time.  ANGELS AMONGST US!

I contacted Nancy back, let her know that Deb had dishes in Albuquerque and could she pick them up on her way – NEXT YEAR – and pony express those to me, too.  YES!

Meanwhile, Deb is pleading with her brother to hold on to them ONE MORE YEAR so that they can find their way here with Nancy.

And that’s not all.  Yesterday there were emails from others about antique dining room tables, and sewing machines in cabinets and we are scrambling like crazy trying to figure out the logistics of getting things from the east side of Virginia to here, or from Georgia to here.

While in New Hampshire, we were offered a couple more sets of vintage twin beds from a quilter in Massachusetts who is arranging to pony express these via another quilter from a neighboring state to my workshops at Mary Koval’s in Bedford, PA in August. 

I am just blown away.  It’s like Christmas every day!

Today I’m headed out to pick up a couple more twin bead frames handmade in Iowa in the 1950s according to the donor, and a treadle machine she has never used along with a collection of irons and toy machines that belonged to her own mother.  It’s a couple hours drive, and we will enjoy lunch together and much chat before we load the goodies up and bring them back up here.

I’m spending much of my free time on the road gathering these gifts, all with a sense of overwhelming wonder.  And gratitude!  The sooner we get this place furnished and ready, the sooner we can OPEN!

20180522_152811

This was the rest of my yesterday.

I’m almost half done with combing this manuscript looking for edits that need to happen.  Some wording, some pressing directions, a bit of correction on quilt layout diagrams, it can be pretty mind numbing.

This is the part I panic over.  The message at the top of the page says things like “CRITICAL NOTE: This is your last chance to make text/image corrections.”  LAST CHANCE!!

And I know even though teams of folks have worked on this – many many pairs of eyes going over each and every detail, it all comes down to me. Any mistakes are MY FAULT. 

Talk about pressure.

The eyes see what the mind knows what you want to say.  It’s so easy to miss some little detail that is not so little to someone who is trying to make a quilt from your directions.

I may strive for excellence, but I will never achieve perfection.  None of us will.

I’m glad I’m taking most of today off to give myself a break – I’ll be back at this tomorrow.

Oh, and that Quilty Box drawing?  It will happen tonight.  Those entries aren’t going anywhere!

IMG_20180523_063912_799

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Quilt found in Edmonds, Washington.

Can you imagine what the world would be like if we encouraged this to happen?

My thanks to my friend Sally for the quote.



55 comments:

  1. Whoa! You will have enough stuff for two Quilt Villa Inns at this rate. We love giving back to you for all you have done for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie - it's so fun to watch your dream come true. Thank you for sharing your journey with us! God Bless all those very generous quilters. Sew sew happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 sets of sheets and lamps - you were truly blessed. All the dishes, beds and sewing tables. Lots of people coordinating getting stuff from A to B. Many times and many ways that people tell you how special what you do for others is to them. There are very few people who give as much as you do. I own 3 of your books and have never even attempted one of your patterns because they intimidate me. You are the only person I have ever gone to see in person and I will never forget your kindness. I think your contributions to the quilting community are immeasurable. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do feel so overwhelmingly blessed. People are so kind, the support just has me bowled over.

      Delete
    2. Stitchinpenny---I promise that Bonnie's quilt patterns are written so they are do-able. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED. . .YOU can do it. Her quilts are my very FAVORITE ONES. I don't know which books you have, but pick one that is simple piecing. OR start with some of the free patterns from the tab above. Be brave and bold and conquer your quilt fear. IF you are worried about the quilt police, send them to me! You have a huge quilting community in Bonnie Hunter fans supporting you. I keep learning new things with every Bonnie quilt I make and I want you to have the same experience and knowledge and confidence.

      Delete
  4. Look forward to reading your post every day. Love watching your dream working out for you. And a huge thank you to all the wonderful Quilters helping to make it happen faster. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, your kindness and generosity are coming back to you! I am so excited to watch you create your retreat center. It is every quilters dream come true!
    I have learned so much from you. My first mystery quilt was Celtic Solstice and I loved doing it. I have made each one since then. Through your free mystery quilts, I have learned to use my scraps and shop from my stash. I have all your books and took one of your classes last year when you were in Columbus, Ohio. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You start my day each morning on a high note, Bonnie. Thank you!!! I love listening to your life and how you so graciously allow us to eavesdrop. Everything that is going on with you just so enhances my life. I know I'm not alone. Each night my hubbie asks me what you did today! Not me - you! I love it!!! Sometimes it is hard to take when you are a giver. Accept with grace (as you always do) and know that your energy and good vibes spread like wildfire!!! Just think how good people feel to be able to offer you something in return! Life is good if we allow it to be. Thank you, Bonnie, for personally starting my day with positive energy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Just W.O.W. I'm sitting here in tears too and my heart is so full of the generosity toward you and this new chapter in your life. Speaking of chapters, that mind numbing edit is much appreciated as I've picked the first four of the quilts I would like to make from your upcoming book. Emerald City (because of I'm a fiend for green), Sand Castle (because I miss the ocean), Dawn's Early Light (because I love red/white/blue), and finally Geese on a String (because I started it about five or six years ago when you featured the antique quilt you found on your blog). Much anticipation for both String Frenzy and Quiltville Inn. Hugs, Allison in Plano, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. Okay that made me cry. I am so impressed with our community of quilters and their unending generosity.....angels indeed! Enjoy your day of rest and thanks for sharing your time and talent with us all. Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quilty friends are just the best! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you put love and kindness out to the world, love and kindness come back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tears of pure joy for you sprang from my eyes as I read this post! This cruel world really does have so many wonderful, sincere, giving people. Bonnie, you have paid it forward for so many years, now it is being returned to you. ellen p.s. have you checked out the link for hexie backplates I sent you on 5-16-18 @ 11:17am your time??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they won't fit the space on the cabinet, I found some smaller round ones I like and they've been ordered :)

      Delete
  12. Everyone is so excited and want to be part of your journey! We are so excited for you! This town just does not know what has hit them! Lol!!!! I believe this is going to be another MSQC!!! Wish we had money to invest in property!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Bonnie, I live in Albuquerque and can store those blue willow plates for you if the son needs a place for them. I can get them wrapped up well and ready to ship cross-country in the RV. It would be a little some thing I could do to thank you for all you do and also help out with the Quiltville Inn effort. Just reply to this post and let me know. Rosanne in Albuquerque

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she emailed her brother to ask him to keep them - turns out he jumped the gun and donated them away. We are mourning their loss, but it's still a wonderful story. :)

      Delete
    2. More dishes will be found, I am sure. Maybe closer this time. Younger people just don't seem to want china and such that their grandparents loved. Maybe a set will show up when you are shopping. You could post a photo of dishes you like and see if people come up with more to go with these.

      Delete
  14. Amazing Angels of Quiltiness!! I love my Ikea light. How cool to have a bag dropped off with such treasures. Wish I was close enough for a Drive-by! Much love and Big cyber Hugs for you. You deserve it .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I swear quilters are the best. Good luck in your new adventure. I hope to be able to come to a retreat. In fact people in my quilt guild are talking about how to get there from California with our machines.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hearing about your Quiltville Inn adventures! The gifts you have given so many are being gifted back to you! We all love you Bonnie Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how much you are appreciated for all you do for the quilting world. Quilters are very giving and appreciative of what others do no matter how large or small. I discovered this first hand last year and I could not believe what had transpired. I couldn't wait to share the it that I was texting and sending pictures to all my friends and family. You truly are appreciated even though you do get some negative feed back,try to ignore the nay sayers and push them out of your thoughts. Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Bonnie, reading this brought tears to my eyes too. I love, love, love the kindness people are sharing. You so deserve it with all you do for us quilter's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karma!!! You do SO much for others, it is incredibly joyful to see it coming back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So incredibly happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so loved for all you do for us. I am so glad that you are on the receiving end now, you will have lots of support from a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bonnie I'm sitting here in tears for all those generous quilters helping you make your dream come true in the most giving way. You deserve this new adventure for all you do for us quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This a fabulous suggestion! Kudos to you, KarenSue. I'm ready to sign up!

      Delete
  24. Bonnie, I will be in Albuquerque next weekend and can get the dishes to College Station, TX, if that will help the "Pony Express" get the dishes to you sooner! I would love to help.

    Linda C

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wish I could help with the "pony express" but Midway B.C. is off the route. Love to hear what quilters can do. You deserve all the love for what you do for us. ORL is coming along and the L&E project complete. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my word Bonnie! What wonderful gifts to help you achieve your dreams. We all want to help. Enjoy all of these gifts, you deserve them.
    See you in August in Bedford, PA.

    ReplyDelete
  27. As you say you know what it is supposed to say so that is what you see. Maybank having someone else read it over for grammatical errors and to see if they understand the pictures and directions based on what they are reading. A fresh set of eyes sometimes pick up mistakes where you miss them. Jeff has done it to you before. Good luck with the proofreading!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The message during the Royal Wedding from Dr. Martin Luther King about the Power of Love and imagining that power transforming the world. The love you give to us all is coming back to you! So happy! Cherry Boom

    ReplyDelete
  29. I sure hope all those dishes are machine washable!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You give so much to everyone, it must be a joy to be able to give back to you! I hope to go by later this summer on the way home from brothers house in southern Ohio to Florida. You don’t look too far off 77.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If I could uproot my husband from our place in Texas, I would love to open a quilt shop in this sleepy little town to support those coming for retreats. It would be a dream come true for me. I’m excitedly watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are now reaping what you have been sowing for years. You obviously sowed "good seed" and your harvest is bountiful. So excited to follow the epic saga of Quiltville Inn on your blog and hopefully in person too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love hearing of your new inn and hope that a retreat there will somehow be within my budget at the time of your opening. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sew excited for your new endeavor. Also have some Blue Willow and look alike in North Georgia. Would be honored to bring them your way.
    Jlhcreations4u@gmail.com. .. JoAnna

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bonnie the old saying of what comes around, goes around. Your kindness to all whom you’ve encountered have blessed you at least 100 fold. You are so kind and generous, that we all want to help, but then you would be overwhelmed with a lot of stuff. Just take a deep breathe and enjoy the overflowing love from your fans.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your post brought tears to my eyes as well. What wonderful angels. I agree with everyone, you are so very kind and generous so it's no wonder people want to give back. Also think about how neat it would be to think their things are part of your venture and will be loved by so many. I can't wait to watch at this continues to unfold. Wish I was closer and had something to contribute.....

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amazing what happens when you just take that first step in a new venture! You have been so kind and thoughtful to us quilters, and it is being paid back in your new venture. You are very Blessed! Praying for your continued success and health.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have found quilting people the best for their generosity and their kind words on quiltville open studio. This is gods way of blessing you for all you do for the quilting community and a blessing for those helping along the way. We are all blessed in some way from watching your excitement grow as your quiltville Inn dream comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is so wonderful to see from a distance, your dream unfold in so many amazing ways. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful folks' generosity for us to enjoy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You have been a blessing to others and now they are showering you! It is a message to all of us. On another note, I used to tell my students to read their papers backwards to check for mistakes. I know what you are thinking, but what I mean is that you start from from the end and read each sentence separately in the normal order. The problem with editing is that we memorize as we are writing so it looks right to us as we read it. Looking forward to reading all your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have Unique treadle machine in working order, that you are welcome to, but I have no way to get it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Funny how the universe helps us realize our dreams. Yours sounds exciting and I am enjoying the story. How blessed you are to have such faithful friends and it is amazing how help comes out of the woodwork that you don't know is there! When people realize they can help someone with such little effort while they are on their way, they are not swamped with "I can not" but "gee, that is no problem". Thank you for showing me good news and good people.

    ReplyDelete
  43. All I can say is “WOW”

    ReplyDelete
  44. This brought tears to my eyes. Quilters are the most generous, caring folks. I hope one day to visit Quiltsville Inn someday. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Bonnie girl, had a he....acious afternoon yesterday playing cards with a bunch of sr. ladies with a lot of clowning around. Of course there ended up being hurt feelings, misunderstandings, all the junk that follows. I am still unnerved, but when reading your blog today I was filled with such joy and love for you and all you do. The kindness of your followers is so amazing. I would truly so love to attend a Quiltville retreat, but am an "only" as the majority of our little quilt group couldn't afford it and tomorrow bunches of $$ goes for necessary dental work. I might be so overwhelmed that all I could do is bask in the quilty love and not sew a stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  46. My heart is overflowing with love and gratitude for all the angels of the retreat home. I'm sure there will be an outpouring of love and articles still to come until you say stop. Just imagine if lots more people were like this all over the world. I know the angels are everywhere but they are not always visible. Lucky you get to see, hear or write to some of yours. You usually get back in multiples what you give. Isn't there a Bible verse about that? I know there is... 💙

    ReplyDelete
  47. Bonnie, thank you so much for sharing your life with us. As someone who will probably never see your Inn I thank you over again. You keep joy and Love in our hearts and excitement for all you are doing.

    Ann from Red Lion, PA

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)