>>>>

Friday, April 06, 2018

Caught Up in the Webbing!

20180405_110706
Who can guess what is going on here?

My Accuquilt studio has been getting a workout!

As much as I love my machines for quilting – equally important are the tools I cut with.

The best thing I ever did – okay, the second best thing – was to buy a second Accuquilt for the cabin.  Yes, I have two.  One at the house in Wallburg, and one at Quilt Villa in Virginia.

My patchwork designing is really pretty straight forward – Everything breaks down into the strip widths I use the most, so the strip dies are right at the top of my favorite things.

When it comes to cutting sashings with cornerstones already attached?  I stitch and press and subcut!

20180405_111417

Weehaaaa!

Can you see the parallel lines I drew perpendicular to the blades with a silver sharpie?  Those lines help keep me straight so I don’t end up with parallelogram sashings. 

Boy did that sentence have a whole lot of geometry in it.  My 9th grade math teacher would be impressed.  LOL!

20180405_111642

ONE PASS!

I cut all of this with one pass of the tray – less than 10 seconds of cranking through – I tell you, that Accuquilt is the quilters version of Play-Doh Fun Factory!

And as I say the words Play-Doh, I’m thinking – Do kids even play with that anymore?  Do they use their imaginations anymore? Or is it all digital electronic stuff they play with.  What a shame if so.

20180405_115844

Sorting out the neutral cornerstones from the 1 1/2’’ squares bin.

I hope you also save squares in the sizes you use most.  For me it is automatic when I get down to the tail end of any scrap of fabric.  I save squares in 1 1/2’’, 2’’, 2 1/2’’ and 3 1/2’’.  I also have a stack of 5’’ charm squares that have come to me by a variety of sources, but I don’t personally cut those to save them as I find I then later have to cut them down to something else to use them.  But they are there.  And I dig into them when I can.

Here at the cabin it is as simple as 4 plastic shoe boxes, one with each size.  At home I’ve gone one step farther – I keep the neutrals separate from the colors, so there are 2 drawers for each size.  It just makes things easier for me to choose what I need for whatever I am doing with them.

20180405_123408

Laying sashings down, neutral cornerstones in place!

This is as much of this project as I can show you for right now.  But yes, I lay the sashings and cornerstones so everything is where I want them, and then I begin to assemble my quilt web.

20180405_125751

The beginning of column #3!

I’m loving this Necchi Nora!

I’m also smiling because the two “IOWA” sashings you see here were given to me while in Iowa last week.  Stitch the memories in as often as you can!  Don’t save everything for a future memory quilt --- just add them to the one you are already making as part of the memories of this one!

20180405_145308

Webbing in progress!

One thing I have learned over my years of sewing with vintage machines – not all cabinets are the same height!  And some of them have more leg room than others.

20180405_205433

A girl has gotta do what a girl has gotta do!

This cabinet sits shorter than the cabinet my 301 is in. And the legs are closer together. A quick trip to the construction area around the “Man Shed” gleaned 4 pieces of scrap lumber to place under the legs and get the machine up to where this tall girl needs it. 

I also prefer to sew centered in front of the needle, and this means I’m sitting with my left leg on the OUTSIDE of the left table leg…..It’s keeping me from leaning and keeps my left leg from being pressed up against the inside of the front left table leg while sewing --

I love sewing on a flat surface, and cabinets are great – but why don’t they give you more room for your legs?

**As I say this I realize this cabinet was made in the late 1950s as pencil skirts and pumps became the fashion…..knees were evidently a lot closer together in that era!**

It hit 3pm and I just HAD to get out and get some fresh air.  An antique mall run? 

20180405_160441

Anyone near West Jefferson, NC looking for a treadle?

This is a beautiful 27 that just needs some love.  The cabinet is in “fair” shape, and would be a great refinishing project for someone.  The machine moves freely, the shuttle is in place.  $95.00 at Main Street antiques.

There were no quilts that I hadn’t already photographed on my previous trip (Remember the post about the string quilt with the murder trial story on the newspaper foundation!?) but I did find this to come home:

20180406_085619

Gorgeous oak mirror with original beveled glass!

$15.00!!

I’m not even sure where it is going to go yet.  I just knew I loved the shape –  so interesting.  I’ll find a place.  I just couldn’t leave it behind.

How do you know when you have really made a place feel like HOME??  You run into someone you love and admire, not once – but TWICE in two different stores in the same day.

I was wandering the aisles at Dollar Tree when who do I spy but Carolyn!  The last time I saw her was during our Bedford, Virginia workshops in February – not that long ago I guess, but it feels like longer!  we had a good quick chat, I got to meet her daughter, and off I went, only to run into her and her hubby at Walmart about an hour later while picking up groceries.

West Jefferson is a very small town, and between the Lowes, the Walmart and the Dollar Tree, along with Tractor Supply, you’ve pretty much got my route down pat – especially if you throw in the antique mall.

In ALL the 10 years I’ve lived in Wallburg, I have rarely if ever ran into a quilt friend while shopping.  Twice in one day? Yes, this place feels more and more like home.

IMG_20180405_170337_644000_wm

Funny of the day!

I really NEED a cabin stash of necessaries so I am not hauling so much stuff back and forth ---on a whim I read the laundering instructions on a pack of pretties I was considering and promptly put them back.  In my busy life I do NOT have time for  a.) hand washing of delicates or b.) line drying of the same.  There is no doubt that I would NOT be ironing these!

As nice as microfiber sounds, they went back on the shelf and I stuck with good old machine wash/machine dry cotton!

I don’t even deal with lingerie bags and hand-wash cycles on my machine.  If they can’t be thrown in with the rest of my wash, forget it!

It gave me a chuckle all the way back to the cabin where I settled in for some evening binding stitching:

20180406_082724

Scrappy reds all around the edge!

This project will be revealed in due time.  Can’t wait!  It’s got china memories sewn into it, and the red Chinese house fabric is perfect as backing.


IMG_20180406_074602_472000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Boxy Stars quilt shared by Debbie during our Illinois workshops last month.

List one thing in the comments section that you won't take for granted today!

Happy Friday, everyone!



78 comments:

  1. I never take my health for granted... every morning I wake up painfree, I am thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that one, Kathy - so grateful for my health. I can't remember the last time I was "sick in bed" for anything.

      Delete
  2. My family, I appreciate them more every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful for the time I'm able to spend in my sewing room making so many quilts. Thank you Bonnie for sharing your ideas and your creations in your blog. You are my inspiration and the wind in my sails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not take for granted my loving God, family and friends. Thank you Bonnie for all you do! Catherine in SW Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! Have a wonderful Friday!

      Delete
  5. I won't take for granted my ability to move, walk, run and be healthy! That's sort of all the same. Love that red China backing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You inspire me every day, Lori! I'm longing to get out for some hiking. Maybe today! Love you, my friend!

      Delete
  6. I am thankful for a safe and comfortable home. It isn't big, and it isn't fancy, but I am secure and happy here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't take my husband for granted. I was glad to read that I'm not the only person to sit with one leg outside the legs on the sewing cabinet. Thank you so much for your blog, I look forward to reading it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all you share with us. Today, I am grateful to have the day to spend in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine is two-fold. I'm grateful for my home and friends. Had a fire two years ago that kept me out of my home for over 9 months. During the cleanup and rebuilding, I realized how wonderful my friends were and promised myself I would never take them for granted ( not that I did, but it's easy to let friendships slide sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so thankful for my quilting friends. Life takes all kinds of twists and turns and every day with them is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never take for granted Enbrel, my arthritis treatment, and the researchers who made it. It is why I can walk and sew and live with bearable discomforts - and quilt. Cataract lens replacements that let me see to sew, quilt. Medicare that allows me to get the Enbrel and the cataract replacement. And all the doctors who continue to treat Medicare patients. Not to be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am thankful for my health family and my home and my sister
    Especially as we enjoy our passion of quilting together
    Life is sweet

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am forever grateful for health, family, friends, and just the general little delights that life brings. My 18 year old daughter has an autoimmune blood disorder (diagnosed when she was 4) that often throws wrenches into being a teenager, but she handles it all with such grace, always, so I am also grateful for the many people who have helped her, guided her, loved her, and shown her that while she may have this disease, this disease does NOT have her. Today I am celebrating her - just the fact that she is a warrior in the purest form - I am grateful God made me her mom.
    Your blog always reminds me to look for the good in life. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My vision. Without it I can't sew, stitch or quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband! He is my best friend and the only person that I truly feel comfortable with, just being myself.
    As for those undies, I throw my microfiber in with the regular wash and then into the dryer they go also. No problems and they last a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same. I love that they never get baggy. 😉

      Delete
  16. Two comments - I own a toy store and yes kids play with Play Dough and use their imaginations. My store has almost nothing that uses screens or has batteries.

    As far as taking things for granted, today I will especially not take my customers for granted as one just ran to the hardware store and is capping a pipe for me. Gotta love living in a town where everyone knows you. My husband says it's like walking around with a celebrity when I'm in town because everyone says high to me. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyday I am grateful for the privilege to quilt. I am blessed with everything I need for making quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That my husband is still here and knows who I am. He has Alzheimer's so each day is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do not take my computer and internet connection for granted. It lets me have the inspiration, information, and fun of following you, Bonnie, and opens the whole world to me. It also allows me to earn my living at home, hands on keyboard, so I can start a meal or throw in a load of laundry or go for walk when I want to instead of commuting to an office every day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMGosh, my grateful list is lengthy and boring to most folk.
    My 💖 of hubby & furkids.
    My cores passion of fabric, tools/machines that aid toward the finished quilt.
    Earth with the ever moving beauty, the sky above that holds my fascination, and this present life that blesses me with all to absorb.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I commented already on your other post, but I never want to take my friends for granted!! I had nice lunch vistors yesterday. Haven't seen them for 6 months, old friends from my years ago in Oregon, late 1980's. You know the adage, 'Make new friends, but keep the old...'
    Quilty friends are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My furnace. It broke down on Sunday and we're waiting for a part to arrive. Wood stove is nice but a running furnace sure keeps the house a lot warmer. Part should come today :0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never take my tuxedo cat, Jingles for granted. He is the best pet you could ever want!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I turn 70 in 10 days. I don't take what health I have for granted. Having had 2 strokes and survived, I try not to take anyone or anything for granted.And I am thankful to have Quiltville, Bonnie and friends to inspire me. Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband Tom, who is dealing with newly diagnosed Alzheimer’s. So sad! ☹️

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don’t take for granted that I can care for my parents even though one is in a nursing home. I thank God every day for having another day to enjoy what He has created. Thank Bonnie for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so grateful for the loyal dogs that have been in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. As I recover from shoulder surgery, I won't take for granted my dear hubby and the tender care he has shown as I have been able to do so little for myself!
    The washing instructions on the undies made me laugh. Who are they kidding? I guess we all need to have our personal maids rinse out our things. :)
    Love those blocks you are webbing!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I never take for granted that I awaken each new dawn to embrace the day.........

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Bonnie! I worked last night ... so my answer is SLEEP!! Have a good day, and thanks for keeping us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A quilter friend Sharon Hiedingsfelder (now deceased) was an excellent quilter and was selected for The Dairy Barn in Ohio many times. She would take the theme and part of one quilt into the next quilt. It and mathematical designs were her signature.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My husband! Every one of my 5 siblings have been married multiple times (one sister at least nine!) I've been married to my David for almost 44 years and he takes such good care of me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bonnie, I just had my 56th birthday. I am thankful for my life, my family and the love of my life ...my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  35. My mom moved near to me 5 years ago, after decades of our living in different states. I'm grateful that we can get together to have coffee, chat and fabric shop!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so grateful that after 4 bouts with cancer and loosing my predominate are I can still enjoy my passions: my daughter, grandchildren and piecing quilts. They may not be ribbon winners, but they are made with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My family, specially my nieces. The eldest is 7 y.o. and absolutely prefers playing with pretty fabrics rather than electronic devices.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Blue skies, white puffy clouds, a dear daughter, a funny cat, and a loving fiancée.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Silly but true, the light bulb in the fridge! Ours was out for three weeks and several tips to various stores for an "appliance bulb" . . . . really?! Will never take it for granted again. Love the new beveled mirror for the cabin. Hugs, Allison C. Bayer, Plano, Texas USA

    ReplyDelete
  40. i am grateful today for my husband, my two cats, my little house and the forest it sits in and TODAY i'm especially grateful for you, bonnie and my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm grateful every day for my family, my wonderful husband and my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  42. First thing that came to mind is I'm thankful for my health since the grandkids were ill the week after my visit. So far I haven't come down with what they have. Praying that remains true!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am grateful for finding leftovers in the freezer this morning so I don't have to cook tonight. Guess that means I'm also grateful for the microwave! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am so very grateful for having such a loving husband that even though he spends 5 days a week driving tractor trailer for a living, he will come home and take me 2 hours away on a whim to purchase a vintage sewing machine that may or not work, take me to Marden's so I can use my gift card on fabric (+ more $) and spend 2 hrs. doing that, then on the way home takes me to a favorite quilt shop so I can look for another sewing machine and get more info on the longarms they sell.... then before actually returning home, goes to the grocery store with me so we have food for the upcoming week! Gone for 10 hours today and to top it off.... My wonderful husband is working on convincing me to get the 12 foot computerized longarm quilting setup instead of the Sweet 16 (5-6') setup! Could I get any luckier?1? I Love This Man!

    ReplyDelete
  45. My husband. Love him dearly and can't imagine my life without him. I already did...when my 59yo sister widowed unexpectedly and tragically 11y ago, it was a reaffirmation to love every day with him.

    ReplyDelete
  46. My family, my health, my friends, my home with a large room for making quilts,

    ReplyDelete
  47. Over three decades of sobriety - one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  48. People over stuff! Having had my granddaughter sick and to emerg last night to having my son walk away from being T-boned this morning. Hands down it is people before stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  49. loosing my mother suddenly in January has made me realize I have to take better care of myself so I don't suddenly leave my family hanging. Each day I realize how much just having her there meant and I miss her every day.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am on my way to CO (where I used to live) from FL to have spinal surgery...I admit to being a bit stressed about it. However, in McDonald's tonight, a young man waited on me who only had 1 1/2 arms...he managed amazingly well and once again I was reminded of how much I have to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  51. My Savior, my husband and furbabies. The list is really endless, and that list includes you Bonnie. Thanks for sharing your love of quilts and old sewing machines!

    ReplyDelete
  52. My family. It is number one in my life, but number 2 would definitely be my health. Maybe that should be number one, because you can't enjoy anything else if you don't have your health.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I have been blessed with so many wonderful people and things. A work from home job that allows me to be near my husband. My sister who lives around the corner and is up to a fabric store adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am blessed with a fantastic husband, two great daughters and four amazing grands... in addition to my mom and siblings , a job that I love and good friends. And yes..Playdough lives in our house, and thankfully a lot of imagination with dolls and little figures...

    ReplyDelete
  55. So thankful that I still have the love of my life with me after 47 years.

    ReplyDelete
  56. The one I am most grateful for is my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ. He has given me a wonderful husband of 55 years,+ 4 years of dating before that,3 loving children & their spouses, 14 grand children (including their spouses) & 8 great grands. He meets my needs, gives me joy at every turn, provides friends to share my life with. I have my 2 large furbabies that give me joy, smiles & companionship like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Bonnie, I WILL NOT take for granted: I was able to get out of bed, put my feet on the floor, rise and get the day started with my husband and little dog. I am thankful for every day that I am able to repeat the process.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I try to never take my friends and family for granted, they are too precious of a thing. When I live 5.5 hours away from the majority of them, traveling to see them can be tedious but friends and family mean something so I shouldn’t grumble. My niece’s still play with play dough!!!! Especially when they were younger (2-6 years). We even make them homemade pay dough, it’s the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. my health at 76+ and counting years of age, which allows me to keep quilting... LOL, i bought the GO Big Accuquilt, shoulder issues convinced me, and always grateful to start my day with quips & snips, even if it is a day behind!!! <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  60. All of the above and on a lighter note, indoor facilities!! Nothing like a great camping trip to help me remember these!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Life in general. Went to a quilt show yesterday with some close friends and one of them was telling us how a quilting friend of hers just lost everything including her husband in a fire that burned to the ground, only thing left is the basement. Makes you stop and realize how one in one short moment you can loose everything.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I am thankful for the new infusion drug Ocrevus. May it allow me to keep shuffling along. Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis is a daily challenge for me. I hotglued a croc to my foot pedal so my foot will stay in place. Cement blocks keep the pedal from wandering and I sew on. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thankful for so many things, my health, (74) family and friends, and for your blog which I look forward to every morning with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Thankful for YOU & all you share!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  65. I'm with you! If it can't get thrown in with my regular wash, it's not coming home with me. Same for ironing. My ironing board is only designated for sewing! I love that you have two places with everything set up to do what you love. (I'm lucky if I can coordinate two projects in two rooms of the same house!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Thankful for my health! Without it life would not be as good!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Won't take my hubby of 55 years for granted. Thankful for sll that God has seen fit for me to have. Health, happiness, family, and friends. Spent today shop hopping with quilty friends.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I am grateful that I have reached 4'11". I noticed how tall you are, Bonnie. I never thought about the issues connected with being tall before.just a reminder than I am tall enough.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Love you Bonnie!! I'm so glad you found your "home" near us.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Every morning I wake up is another one I get to see!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)