>>>>

Thursday, January 18, 2018

All in a Snow Day Sew Day!

20180118_082311
This morning’s view from the front porch of our little bungalow house in Wallburg.

Oh. My. Word!

I haven’t seen snows like this since we left Idaho, and let me tell you – after 19 years of Southern Living, we don’t even OWN a snow shovel decent enough to get me out of here.

And since we are Southern, we do ONE THING – we sit and wait for a thaw!

And we have some fun as well.

And oh yes, as to “Just how deep IS this snow??”

Check this out:

20180118_085303

That’s 6 1/2’’ on the Creative Grids scale on top of Moby!

And I’m sure some has blown off due to yesterday’s wind and is drifting against the trees in the woods.

I’m not complaining.  I am ever grateful that I no longer have a job that requires me to be out the door by 7:45 to head to some office come heck or high water, and at this moment I am pitying those that do!

My neighborhood is very rural, and plows simply do not exist.  It was ankle deep yesterday when Sadie and I headed out to take care of her noon-time business.

Click to play:


And later in the afternoon, son Jeff could be heard revving up the 4 wheeler, because what ELSE can you do when you are basically snowed in?

Click to play:


We’ve got 1 1/2 acres bordered by a creek, I enjoyed the relative comfort of the back porch while huddled in my winter parka, watching him play, and remembering him with legos on the living room floor when he was 4 years old.   Still my baby.

20180117_130222

My little Wallburg home from the top of my drive.

That drive is steep and slick and I honestly have no idea if we will be able to get me out today. 

The postal truck can’t make it down and up my drive in weather like this, so mail order has been sitting and waiting for pick up.  It’s supposed to warm up into the 40s which will take care of all of this on its own.

Those waiting for orders will just have to understand, and things will ship as soon as I can get up the drive!

20180117_200855

In the mean time…

How does YOUR crumb stash overflow?  I’m talking the LITTLE junk.  This stuff is so far down the fabric food chain, that I have dropped the S from SCRAP and am sewing from CRAP!  Hahaha!

20180117_162526

Still going with the neutrals, but adding pops of color to one side.

Truly, these are small bits that most would relegate to the making of dog beds if anything – if they didn’t just up and throw them away.  But something happens when I press them and add them to each other and trim them up….my eyes just dance over each rainbow piece.  No plan , rhyme or reason yet, but if you make the blocks, the quilt will come!

I took a break from treadling and brought out the 301 in the mid-century blonde cabinet.  Only I worked that knee lever so hard yesterday that I lost the screw that holds the knee lever in place.  Pretty soon it was just there, on the floor, and no fixing it until we can get out and get a replacement (see snow on a steep driveway reference above) so I had to put that pedal on the floor.  I really prefer this machine to be knee operated!

IMG_20180117_192424_704-001

Yesterday’s #quiltvilleoftheday:
Tumelo Trail from Scraps & Shirttails II

Recycled fabrics, nine-patches and half-square triangles!  What’s not to love!?  Have you made this one?  It’s right up there as one of my favorites.

I’m having a good time picking quilts out of the pile, spreading them out to give them a good airing and snapping a couple of photos to share.  You can find copies of Scraps & Shirttails II in the Quiltville store at the low low price of $19.99.

IMG_20180118_083603_599000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

No matter the situation, you win when you plan to act, not react!

Trip around the world quilt Circa 1970s found in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. There is Strawberry Shortcake in the center, and some Star Wars type of fabric at the outside edge. Made by a grandmother for a grandchild?

Where is the label when you need one?

Have a Terrific Thursday, everyone – don’t forget about our Quiltmaker Bundle Gift-Away happening HERE.


23 comments:

  1. LOL - Bonnie, I think you have more snow there than we have here in SE Minnesota! Very pretty - enjoy your snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your Tumalo Trails quilt pattern and made one late last year, I hope to get it on my 3 roller hand quilting frame when the current quilt being quilted comes off or some time later in the year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, snowy NC from snowy and COLD Iowa! Is it too soon to start wishing for spring?

    Tumelo Trail is one of my favorites, too, and it's definitely on my future list. I'm stashing tons of short 1.5" strips from the cuffs of shirts. Should be just about enough to start some L/E 9 patches soon.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you have a lot more snow than we do in Colorado right now. I think we have only had about 3 inches this year...

    Enjoy your time at home!


    ReplyDelete
  5. Well your crap sure looks nice!!! LOL. Have a great snow day. The video was picture perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tumalo Trail is the first Bonnie quilt I started, but not the first one I finished. That was Box Kite. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No snow here in the Idaho panhandle. It's been in the 40s with drizzly rain. It has been colder at my son's in Austin RD than here this past week. Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked forward to snow days as much as the kids when I was still working. My policy was that if school was closed because of snow so was the library. Now snow days just don't cause the same excitement. :) Schools had a late start one morning because of -30 or more wind chills but we don't have much snow. We get an inch or three then it thaws a little and we get a little more. They say we will get 1-3 inches over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In childhood I learned to sew on a treadle, and later on a knee-powered Kenmore in a big cabinet. I had a whole learning experience when I had my firt (HS graduation present) foot pedal machine. Nowadays my knee-lift Bernina is my favorite, still with foot pedal. WhenI use my Featherweight I find myself trying to lift the pressure foot with my knee. 😄 My treadle has been used as furniture the last few years. I'm working out how to find a place where I can sew on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your walk with Sadie, the snow looked magical. We will be hitting104 Fahrenheit today, I’m looking forward to Autumn and cooler weather. Love your (s)crap, I think I’ll start a pile of my own to make cushions for the lounge. Keep warm. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I noticed you post many times about neutrals, what colors do you consider neutral. I found a pattern that calls for light, med and dark neutrals and the picture shows only beige's and off white which looks boring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie, You have more snow then us here in SE Massachusetts this time. Two weeks ago we had a Nor-easter that dumped 18 inches of heavy wet stuff. I love your string blocks. I have to dig out your book String Fling and play. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in northwest Iowa we have very little snow, but it’s been really really cold with -30 and less windchill. Not good if you have to go out. Plus, in the plains we don’t have snow that piles on top of cars.....it comes sideways with the 40+ mph winds. Can you tell, I am ready for spring. Heehee. Have fun sewing! That’s what I do when it’s too cold to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie here in Australia we are in 100's heading to break 110 tomorrow but that's not why I ' m writing. I know you have mentioned the idea of a birthday month. I decided to adopt that for my entry into the septageneran club and because you have praised TJLane thimbles you gave me the confidence to order my very own dragonfly. They have been very helpful and in less than a day form sending the order I recieved conformation that they were setting my birthstone and would post it tomorrow.

    I thank you so much for sharing on all levels. I gave you a good rapp in the Thankyou I sent to Jenny this morning.
    Have a great time sewing in the snow.. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  15. O boy, snow looks lovely but cause problems all round.your bungalow looks beautiful, snow or no snow. Southern UK is snow free but b cold. Take care. Enjoying your blogs.great start to the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You must be somewhere near my cousin in NC. She got about 6 inches, too. More than we have right now in central MN (not far from Ringo Lake :) ). That all could change this weekend, though. Right now they are saying possibly 8-12 Sunday into Monday. I hope they are wrong, but I can work on my MQ on Sunday. LOL Monday I have to face the real world, good thing my commute is only 1 mile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those strings. Strawberry Shortcake reminds me of the sweet little sundress I made my 2-year-old daughter about 1986 and then she also had the little dolls when she was a bit older. Strawberry Shortcake was actually born in 1979, so that grandchild is in their 30's now. For more than you'd ever want to know about Strawberry Shortcake, see wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Shortcake

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is exactly what I needed to see today Bonnie - when starting the latest Mystery Quilt I got carried away and made waaaay too many aqua, brown and neutral mini 9 patches - I mean about 100 too many, cos I couldn't visualise how many 1.5 inch strips would be enough. So I've been wondering how to use them all up - and your Tumalo Trails will be just the ticket! Thank you so much for all you do, and for keeping us sane on these cold winter days. I'm in the UK and thankfully the snow hasn't reached this far south yet but it feels Arctic out there. Back to my sewing room now!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha Ha Talk about muscle memory. Your mention of using a knee operated machine reminded me of why I find it so difficult to use the knee lift for the presser foot. When I was 3 or 4 I learned to sew on my great grandmother's treadle machine. Then I switched as I got a little older to my grandmother's knee operated machine. To this day (60+years later), if I have the knee lift attached to my machine, I keep trying to make it run by pressing that lift.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for keeping us in good spirits during these snowstorm leftovers (ice and snow)! Someday, I'd like to meet you in person, as we only live a few miles apart and you inspire me to continue my efforts in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi from Illinois,I been sorting fabrics and quilt books trying to get my sewing area organized so when my back gets healed I can sew again.I did a little sewing on camper curtains.But back isnt ready yet.I love your videos Bonnie and all the quilts you make.You have a very creative art about you.This Tumelo Quilt is so pretty.I love the mountain cabin and all the snow .So pretty and peaceful.Your next quilt from this mountain home will be called ????☺😉Thanks for sharing your quilt picts'and the videos and patterns to us all.I hope to get working on the lake one soon if i have to start handpiecing it.You have a great day and cuddle up with a cup of hot chocolate and your needle and thread and some fabric and scisscors and call it a Cozy downtime in the Mountain Home away from home😉🙂 and your 🐶dog is so pretty ,really pretty against the snow.We lost our Chocolate Lab this past Nov,she was 13 years old and just couldnt go anymore.We miss her but we know she is resting peaceful now.😇 Have a Blessed Day 🌹⚘🌼

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have more than we have in Idaho. We are beginning to worry about the snow pack that provides water for all the farmers here. It's been in the 50's this past week, unheard of for January. You ever hear of people complaining that it's not cold enough or there's not enough snow? LOL it's just a mixed up year, with snow in Texas and none in Idaho. Hang tight and enjoy the time playing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great snow photos, I can't imagine living where that happens. Yesterday reached 45C here, (113 in your scale)!! Slight difference. Love your blog, and glad to hear you are going to slow down and "smell the roses!"

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)