>>>>

Thursday, April 13, 2017

A My Blue Heaven Kind of Day!

20170412_105713

Or “Some Like it Purple!”

Our last workshop in  Birmingham was filled with excited quilters eager to learn how to make basic units such as  half-square triangles, hourglass units and flying geese all from 2 1/2” strips with the use of specialty rulers such as the Essential Triangle Tool!  YOU CAN TOO!

My Blue Heaven is found under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog and you can sew along with us!

There are also videos under the videos tab to teach you how to make good use of these rulers with easy strips that you already keep on hand.

We played with purple, orange, blue, aqua, and even scrappy civil war – the variations were endless!


20170412_144956

Whooohoooo!

Even some REAL 1970s vintage pieces joined some modern ones to play together!

20170412_141136

Love the orange with the taupe!

I was asked if I minded someone “NOT” going with a scrappy background.  NO!!  It’s YOUR quilt, do it how you want to do it.  Your project should be a reflection of YOU – your choices, your likes, your vision.  I love this background, it was very cool!

20170412_113944

Red violet and raspberry!

20170412_145103

Bright and bold on grassy green!

20170412_152258

And absolutely beautiful in blue!

20170412_150103

Chris & Terri!

I’m breaking here for a bit of a segue – Chris and Terri joined us coming all the way from Connecticut.  I had a chance to get to know them and they are as fun as they can be.  On Tuesday we went and toured Vulcan Park. (Mentioned in yesterday’s post.) 

They went back last evening and bought tickets to go up to the TOP of the Vulcan so they could get some photos of long range views of downtown Birmingham and the surrounding area.  They sent them to me so I could share them with you:



Thanks girls!

The text this morning said  “The elevator on the Vulcan broke down and we had to hike up 150 steps to get to the top!!”  So glad it was you, and not me! LOL! 

20170412_152536

It was a fabulously amazing scrappy My Blue Heaven day!

You’ll find the rest of our photos in the slide show below:



I left the workshop a few minutes early in an effort to hit the road before rush hour traffic took over.  I made it to Cullman by dinner time.

20170412_203750

Evening sewing!

More 4 in 9 blocks in progress!

For those who asked, this block was featured in my Addicted to Scraps column with Quiltmaker Magazine, the October/November 2016 issue.

I have plans for these – let’s watch it evolve!

My day is free today up until set-up time for this evening’s guild presentation.

I’m spending the morning combing through and cleaning out my inbox and taking care of things that need to happen with replies, etc there, and then there is some time for a bit of exploring.  I’ve been informed about an antique mall that isn’t too far….guess where you’ll find me!?

4_13_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage Churn Dash quilt found in Alabama.

It's true. Your first thoughts can set the tone for your entire day. What are you thinking right now?

Choose to stay positive!


Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, Glad you are having a good time in Alabama. All the classes are inspiring and look fun filled! By the way, cute buns on that Volcan! Looking forward seeing your antiquing tour today! Have fun. Be safe. You are a joy! Hugs, Susann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I really appreciated the Quote today. It is true that how you view the day makes a hugh difference. Enjoy your exploring and know that a bunch of us would like to be exploring with you. Have a blessed day! QuiltedDrummer

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I'm thinking right now is that I'd love to explore the antique mall with you. If you would ever come to our guild, Seaside Piecemakers in Melbourne,FL during the winter, I could offer you two things: Up close look at lots of manatees (we have special viewing areas) - maybe even a kayak ride on the river (think dolphins and manatees up close and personal) and second - lots of wonderful antique malls to explore. Can I add we have 5 - 6 quilt shops in the vicinity. Do I have you hooked yet? Mona from Melbourne, FL Got to meet you in Tampa with Suzy Prickett, we were at the same hotel.


    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your Alabama trip turned out to be such fun and thanks for sharing as much of as you could with us. Safe travels home. Love the blue quilt.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)