>>>>

Friday, December 30, 2016

En Provence Mystery, Part 6!

part6
Click HERE for Printer Friendly Version!

Would you be happy if I told you we are DONE with our “Impulsive” Dark purples?

I know some of you got down to the tail end of your stash on these, but we made it!

I also hope that you found part 5 to be an easy clue during Christmas/Hanukkah week and you are ready to move on. 

Are you ready to bring in another color?  I know I am!

This week we will be using some neutrals, some of our “Magical” lavenders and…..tada!  It’s time to pull in our “Garden Spot”  Greens!

france-728077_1280


Before the blooms of summer, we get the green of spring!  AHHH!!

I know many of our participants are covered over in inches of snow at this time of year, and it will be a long long time before we see the green of spring, but it will arrive!  Green is one of those colors that really makes me feel I can breathe after a long, cold and colorless winter.

part6_1

Quarter Square Triangles!

Units will measure 3 1/2’’ unfinished, and finish at 3’’ in the quilt.

Two green triangles, one  "Magical" lavender triangle, and one neutral triangle in each!

Make 64.

You can use ANY method you desire to make these, keeping in mind the unit size.  Be it Thangles, Triangles on a roll, sew-big-sliver-trim-down or whatever pleases you.  The “regular” rotary cutting method for hour glass units has you starting with 4 1/4’’ squares, cutting each with an X on both diagonals to yield 4 quarter-square triangles per square.

I used the Essential Triangle Tool to cut my units in matched pairs, ready to sew, from 2’’ strips already found in my Scrap User’s System.  If you keep 2’’ strips on hand, why not start there first and pull what you can to use in this step.

As I went totally scrappy, these don’t have to be made in sets.  If you are sewing with yardage, you can use your lighter neutral for these.

20161226_181329

Each unit takes two strip sets from 2’’ strips!
Lavender/Green and Green/Neutral

20161226_181430

Place the green and purple strips right sides together with green on the bottom. Place the neutral and the second green strip right sides together with green on the bottom. Stack the strips on top of each other.  With each cut you will get ONE hour glass-unit of 4 quarter-square triangles ready to sew.

20161226_181651

Cutting matched pairs!
We are using the green lines and numbers for this step.

The green 3” at the left of the ruler, along the bottom of the strip set is the FINISHED SIZE of the unit.  The lines down the center of the unit tell you which size of strip width you need for the different sizes of units.  This is a 3’’ finished unit, so we are using 2’’ strips.

Refresher video:



In the video I am using 2 1/2’’ strips for 4’’ finished units, but the process is the same.  If you wish to start with just two strips, instead of four, that is fine too – you ‘ll just need to cut some from each strip set.

Again, you can use ANY method you prefer, just be sure that the units are the right size, and that you have 2 green triangles, 1 lavender and 1 neutral triangle in each hour glass unit.

20161226_181759

*Little hint!!*

I hate to waste strip ends that are perfectly good and easily trimmed to a usable shape using the RED lines on the Essential Triangle Tool for half-square triangles. At the beginning of the strip set before cutting my first quarter square triangle pairs, I will cut with the half-square triangle markings and set it aside because this is a size I use quite often.  They are in a baggie marked “1 1/2’’ finished.” These little triangles are also a great size for crumb blocks and for paper piecing.  I do not throw these away! 

Here I am using the 1 1/2’’ line at the END of the strip set after having cut as far as I can to get as many quarter-square triangle pairs from the strip set as possible.  I’m only throwing a bit more than the selvage away. 

20161226_181824

Bonus Babies!

I do all of my trimming into the sizes I use most while working my way down the strip set.  I try not to leave myself a basket of scraps to “trim down later” because later RARELY happens.  I just cut all the way down and put away as I go.

20161226_182059

Look at the pair under the presser foot!

These are quarter-square triangles, so we are sewing the short bias sides, not the long hypotenuse as that is the outside edge of the unit – the straight of grain.  Sew all of your pairs.  The green is on the bottom of mine, because it is the common color between the two different strip sets. If you prefer, you can sew them all with green on the top.  Just be consistent.

20161226_182218

Press them all toward the green!

Your pairs may not alternate as mine did, because I cut from two strip sets at once, that’s okay, you just need 64 green/neutral halves and 64 green/lavender halves.  When sewn together you will have the 64 hour-glass units you need for this part.

20161226_182612

Because they are all pressed to the green, the halves will nest!

Stitch the halves together, press, and remove dog ears.

You may spin the seams on the back side of these units if you wish.  As they do not "nest" with any other unit you may opt for pressing the center seam open, or press it to one side. Your choice.

20161226_182912

Make 64!

*NOTE*  These 6 units are all the same because I worked only with 2 strip sets for this demo – the rest of mine are in my quilt.  Use as many greens, lavenders, and neutrals as you desire for building a lot of variety in these units.

If you are a sliver-trimmer, consider giving this method a try, and sewing a bit more scant with your seam.  You will have plenty of room to trim to size, with little fabric waste.  There is no reason to cut BIG to sliver trim down.  Save the fabric, just scant your seam and trim to your hearts desire.

france-965603_1280

Inspiration for our mystery!

We loved the shops in Aix en Provence, and one of the popular items are cotton kitchen dish towels, all embroidered with lavender.  Do you recognize the colors of our mystery in this photo?

france-1418754_1280

Bars of soap are another touristy take home!

Our colors are also found here!

12_30_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage Lemoyne star found in Texas.

From my heart to yours – Happy New Year, everyone! 

I’m looking forward to a very quilty 2017!


Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

35 comments:

Kathy said...

Weeeeee!

Deborah Davenport said...

Thanks, Bonnie. Been looking forward to this all week!

Donna Fisher said...

Yay. More practice with the Essential Triangle Tool. Have a Happy New Year, Bonnie and everyone.

Allison C Bayer Plano TX said...

Thank you Bonnie! Onward with your silty self and have a marvelous New Year in 2017!! Hugs, Allison C. Bayer, Plano, Texas

Allison C Bayer Plano TX said...

silty? = QUILTY self!!

The Calico Quilter said...

Goody, it's Friday! I have had a stressful week and really need this respite while I indulge myself with your mystery. Thank you, Bonnie.

The Calico Quilter said...

Goody, it's Friday! I have had a stressful week and really need this respite while I indulge myself with your mystery. Thank you, Bonnie.

The Calico Quilter said...

Goody, it's Friday! I have had a stressful week and really need this respite while I indulge myself with your mystery. Thank you, Bonnie.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks for the printer version I have been saving as pdf files so when I get time I can make it if I wish -

pat said...

YES!!! Love green and can finally dig in and play with my stash...really enjoying my first MQ...Pat

Charnette said...

I was so excited getting each clue done on time. Until Christmas night got a call that my salon was on fire and this is where my new sewing center is..and of course my MQ is but thank goodness fire was contained to salon but oh my the smoke and soot the restoration company came yesterday I'm hoping they can do something with all of my finished clues and the rest of my fabric. So I guess again I'll be finishing later than I planned but I'm just thankful that I still have a building and it could of been so much worse.

Terry Johnson said...

Thanks for the way you break each step down. We appreciate all you do to make the free pattern as easy as possible and attainable for everyone. Happy New Year from Illinois. Looking forward to a quilty 2017!

rebecca said...

You make this look very easy. I hope to be able to start very soon. Thank you.

rea said...

Yay! I knew there would be some greens or yellows (or both) today. And thrilled that the mystery is still going. I've got something to do during the next batch of snowstorm coming in. Thank you!!!!

tubakk said...

Great! I'll start at once. Thank you, Bonnie. By the way, I live in Norway where you should think it would be snow right now. But we have had a mild December, and still have green fields around, and no snow yet.

mombygrace said...

Thanks so much for this mystery. It is my first one and I am so excited.

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Yay! I'm excited to begin!

wolf3349 said...

Glad to be back to work on this. I can,t wait to see the finished quilt.
I always love doing your Mystery quilts.
Happy New Year to you and your family.
May 2017 Bless you all.

Dena T said...

So happy Clue 6 is out!. Now off to work so I can work in this clue this weekend!! Can't wait. Thank you and Happy New Years to you and your family. :)

lynn bourgeois said...

It's always exciting to anticipate what is coming next. Thanks Bonnie for this yearly gift to all of us. Last night I read your post that spoke of Nichole. What an amazing spirit she has. There is great ingenuity in the adaptation of her motor home to become her studio, and her home. I may not get to meet her or you personally,but my spirit is infused from what I feel from you. May 2017 bring peace, joy, and love to your life adventure. Hugs

Ginny said...

Bonnie, thanks as always for the wonderful directions. I've learned SO much from making these mystery quilts. Happy New Year too!

Sue J said...

Happy Friday, Miss Bonnie! Love those blocks.

Tracey Holzer said...

That really is a neat method for making quarter square triangles. You really make everything look so easy, Bonnie. Happy New Year to you!

Amy said...

I was a little nervous til I read and saw the detailed instructions. I'm confident I can do this easily now and can't wait to start!
Thank you for your meticulous sense of detail and have a happy New Year!!

Joni Cartwright said...

Hooray! Snowy, sew day herenI come. Thanks so much Bonnie! Happy New Year!

Mary Ellen said...

Very pretty. Heading to the sewing room now for a little workout with the new ruler!

rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rebecca said...

Yes! I guessed correctly again! 1/4 square triangles! I knew it! I knew it! I think I can do it!

ladmquilter said...

Excited to start the new clue but I have to decide what color to use I am replacing the yellow with aqua/teal just not sure whether to use in place of greens or yellows,because my greens seem brighter, decisions, decisions...just nervous about messing it up being a mystery and all. Over thinking this since October time to make a decision. Thanks for the mystery quilt this is my second one and I look forward to every clue it is so much fun.

Sheppard said...

Thank you for the fun and learning experience. Have a great new year's weekend. Congratulations on getting all caught up with your orders.

Kimberly Duncan said...

Prayers for Charities & the fire. Happy New Year to you Bonnie & all the quilters!! Count your blessings!

Kimberly Duncan said...

*Charnetta- auto correct!!

wolf3349 said...

Getting snowed in--so had lots of time to finish part 6.
Now I,m going to have to wait for Friday to roll around again.
I am loving this one already. Can,t wait for the finish--to see what it will be.
Thank you Bonnie for all your talent and kindness that you share with us.

TheEclecticAbuela said...

I love the pace of this mystery--many people I've communicated with feel more invested because they have been able to keep up. We know it isn't a race, but being at the same stage with a group sharing an experience is rewarding. Thank you!

Happy New Year!

Mary Giantonio said...

Oh Bonnie I am so loving the Essential Triangle Tool!! Made the hours glass squares so easy to do! Thank you thank you thank you!

Happy New Year to all!!!!