>>>>

Friday, December 09, 2016

En Provence Mystery, Part 3!

part3
Click HERE for Printer Friendly version.

Welcome to Part 3 of our En Provence mystery!

Can you believe it’s part 3 already?  Time is FLYING and units are being made left and right and right and left.  It’s a global storm of busy quilters stitching away wherever they can squeeze time in between holiday hubbub, family obligations and things that crop up in every day life.

If you haven’t had the chance to check out our Mystery Monday Link-Ups, please DO!  The sharing is fabulous.  You’ll find both that we have done so far linked under the En Provence Mystery tab at the top of the blog.

As for THIS week, Any guesses?

I’m feeling rather PURPLE after looking at this photo, aren’t you?

Lavender_at_Banon_Provence_France

Oh yes, I think it’s definitely time for PURPLE!

In dealing with all of the stress over specialty rulers and folks feeling buried and worried the rulers won’t come in time, or they’ll be left so far behind due to Tri-Recs madness and “Who knows what else Bonnie is hiding up her sleeve!?!” kinds of panic, I’ve gone back to the drawing board and reassigned the units in a different order to give us a bit of breathing space.

In fact, this week is going to be a near repeat of Part 1, only:

purple4patch

Dark Purple/Light Purple 4 patches.
All from 2’’ strips as in step 1.
168 total.
Units will measure 3 1/2’' and finish at 3’’ in the quilt.

part3set

Just as in step 1, the best way to get a variety of 4 patches is to work with short strip sets.  Pair 2’’ strips of dark purple with 2’’ strips of light purple and sew with 1/4’’ seam.  Press toward the dark purple and measure.  Strip sets should measure 3 1/2’’. They will finish at 3’’ in the quilt down the road.  For now, focus on that 3 1/2’’ size.

For ease in cutting, just as with part 1, pair one strip set with another, right sides together.  Sub-cut them into 2'' sections of already matched pairs.  If I have 5 or 6 identical 4 patches and they are spread around the quilt, no one is going to care.  Cut 168 matched PAIRS ready to sew.

20161207_193902

A few of mine!  Make 168.

See that little purple calico with the rose buds?  1980-something!  This goes back to my early early years, and it was fun for me to stick it in here.

20161207_193953

And you know what to do with the back!  SPIN, Quilters, SPIN!

And this is where I have a confession to make.  Those of you who watched Quilt-Cam on Sunday may have caught what I am about to refer to.  And it concerns the neutrals.

balloon

This is where I hang my head and state that I am only human, and that you are my Beta Testers.  No one else has made this quilt but me, and I made it all from scraps – the only yardage was my magenta. 

If you are a scrappy quilter, it’s not going to be a problem, but if you are a “one neutral only” kind of quilter you may need to pull in some more.

We have used our 3 yards of neutrals, and there are a couple more steps to go that require neutrals.  The total yardage for neutrals should be 4 1/2 yards, not 3 as stated.

I have no excuses and I don’t know where the error occurred, I only know I do my best and like all of us I sometimes fall short.

SO.  Those single yardage quilters – if you added in a second neutral to do your two-toned 4 patches, you should be fine.  Because you added another 1 1/2 yards in order to do those.

Those who cut the 3 1/2’’ squares instead of piecing the 4 patches, you may need ONE yard more, because you are not losing 25% of your yardage in the seams, as is what happened with the 4 patches. But if you want to go 1 1/2 yards more to be safe, good on you.  Neutrals are ALWAYS needed.

This typo has been corrected on the Introductory post, and on the corresponding PDF.

The good news is, everything we have done so far is symmetrical.  Even if you have to pull in another neutral or two, it WILL NOT look out of place because I know where these are going.  Just get as close as you can to what you started with and you will be fine.

Thank you for being my Beta Testers!

6a010536a07d60970b01901d8892da970b-800wi

All colors in Provence play together!

For those who are concerned about our other fabrics, they are FINE.  I’ve double checked. And usually I err on the AMPLE side.  But I can’t beat myself over the head with this any further.

At this point I can tell you that you can put your MAGENTA (Hibiscus) away.  We are done with it, unless perhaps you decide to use it for binding, in which case you’ll NEED more. HA!

We still await the arrival of more Essential Triangle Tools.  I am putting those steps off as far as I can, but know that there are alternate methods for doing the units we will be doing with that tool, and I will give you traditional rotary cutting directions and links to other tutorials and methods so you can choose your own way to do them until they arrive.  

The manufacturing process is out of my hands and these have been on order since October.  

Remember to please – don’t stress.  It’s a quilt.  We are sewing.  It’s not life and death, and if we are waiting, maybe we can work on another project for a while, pull out a Leader & Ender and make it primary for a bit.  Let’s enjoy this season instead of stressing and rushing through it.

12_9_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

51 comments:

Andee said...

Sew excited for a new clue!

quiltmom05 said...

New clue up. Now if I could pick out fabrics and get clue one and two done. Still fun to see what is coming.

RoseO said...

Yippeee!! Been waiting for my favorite color to come up!

Wendy Patrick Designs said...

Good Morning,
Fun and more Fun, I love this MQ and its my first time doing a MQ!
Wendy

Judith Gale said...

Can't wait to get started on these, I'm a four patch expert now! Hoping the extra neutral yardage will need to be cut into 2" and 3.5" strips or smaller because I already cut way too many of those! That's what mysteries are all about! Thanks, Bonnie, for all you do!

pat said...

thank you, thank you, thank you...I seam to hold my breath waiting for each clue...sew on...

Irene Mattoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

Thank you Bonnie. I am enjoying my first mystery quilt and taking my time. As you say, other things need to take priority. It's wonderful but it's just a quilt. Family first.

Podunk Pretties said...

I'm all caught up on the clues and ready to start cutting this one ASAP. Not combing my hair or changing out of my jammies until they are complete, thanks Bonnie for all your hard work with this free pattern.

Barbara said...

Enjoying making the various parts. Used the tri recs ruler for the first time after watching your video and was amazed at how accurate my blocks came out! Thanks for expanding my quilting horizons.

Kristy Goettl said...

Thank you, Bonnie! What a wonderful gift you're providing us with and I'll be your beta tester any day :)

diane said...

I don't have my magenta yet. If I don't use it for binding how much do I need?

Lori said...

Thank you again for my weekly Christmas gift. The little mystery is so FUN! Happy Day!

Dena T said...

I love love the hot air ballon. What a treat. Not to get moving on clue 3,2 and 1 :)

Kerry said...

Oops! Have to see the funny side of it though - still waiting to start - I know the fabrics I want to use - just one more week before I can get to them! I did want to break into my stash - but I also went to a quilt shop - I must stop buying fabric I must stop buying fabric . . . .

Jo said...

Just finished part 2. I'm sure this weekend I will get part 3 done... I am so happy. I have just used the tri recs ruler for the first time after having it for 2 years. It was wonderful . This quilt is coming together so nicely. Thanks Bonnie...

Mary said...

You made my Purple loving heart so happy! Thanks for the clue. Guess I will be adding a 3rd neutral. I used just one in my Tri recs. Mix it up, cut the Stash!

TheaMinPA said...

Wondering if the future neutrals could be entirely different fabrics for us two fabric users... that would make me a four fabric neutral user... or, I could make the remaining neutrals really scrappy. If they had been really scrappy to start with, I'd be good, so it's a good chance that my next mq will be completely scrappy. Forgive my rambling. No sleep last night. Love you, Bonnie!

SHIRL TOTOS said...

Bonnie, you have the biggest heart! I am so grateful to you for showing us the way. I have learned so much already. It's the cutting and measuring and the 1/4" I knew all of that but, I never paid that close attention to it. Now I see just how important it is!!!!

THANK YOU.

By the way I have a Pinterest account but I don't know how to connect to you

Pam said...

Hi Bonnie- Thanks so much for your work on these mysteries! As you point out, there's not really a Quilting Emergency here, just an opportunity for creative design choices!!

The Calico Quilter said...

Got the strips cut for my two mystery quilts. Now to dress and run to the post office to mail Christmas gifts. I spent yesterday morning wrapping presents and am finally getting in the Christmas spirit. Putting up the tree tomorrow, so need to sew like a speed demon this afternoon. My OrcaBay Christmas version is being laid out on the floor of my sewing room and I have to step around it. Oh, well, it's Christmas colors, can I count it as decoration?

The Calico Quilter said...

Bonnie, don't sweat it about the neutrals. Even when I use EQ to figure out yardage it's sometimes a little short. You never know how things will go when cutting. One of my two mysteries is scrappy neutrals, and the other is controlled scrappy using a 10 piece fat quarter collection I found online. I was watching Quiltcam on my tablet while I washed dishes. When you mentioned needing more neutrals, I dashed to the computer and ordered another FQ bundle - the last one they had! Hah! Success!

Alycia Quiltygirl.com said...

No beating yourself up! This is fun, and no whining - we will survive !! Have a happy day!

The Calico Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pdudgeon said...

LOL, no problems here with the neutrals. I just dashed to my stash of Minnick & Simpson and started pulling (I'm doing patriotic colors).

also glad to know that we can use the hot pink colorway for our binding strips!
That way i can pre-cut those and have them all ready when the time comes.

Florence said...

i also, only bought the burgandy,,,woohoooo, i will love these to purples together,,,,,,sooo much fun, thank you bonnie,,,

grammajudyb said...

Thanks for your great instructions so far. I am using the Tri Rec rulers for the first time and after watching your video, it's going great. No need to beat yourself up. Stuff happens and this is not a life or death matter. Breathe everyone! Every quilt will be a masterpiece because that is the way of creative arts.

Jan N said...

thanks for the purple clue. That is my favorite color. I am glad to know your human Bonnie. We all make mistakes and it is not the end of the world. I have taken your advise and I am enjoying the process, working when I can, and having fun with this quilt. This is my "get away" and "me" time. Thank you again for all you do and if you show up at my door I have pumpkin tea :). Have a great day.

Becky said...

Thank you for your explanations & care! I really didn't think I could do this, but I'm doing it!!! Love the process! Thanks again!

Mari said...

No beating yourself up! (If you must do so, be sure to use a wet noodle!) Beta testing is an inexact science, and that's what you have testers for. I'm just happy to be one of them. Thanks so much, Bonnie!

Dino Candelaria said...

I am doing scrappy, I am learning a lot from you about the freedom of scrappy. I have done sample quilts because they are not same ol' same ol' and now finding that a all over pattern can be that way if scrappy.
I did go out and buy more neutrals to make it more scrappy AND to add to my Bonnie inspired scrappy stash. So this twist doesn't have me in a twist.
I just look at it as an excuse to buy more fabric, or if I have too much-there is always another quilt in the future to use leftovers on.
And although I LOVE this colorway, I stick with yours because it broadens my experience.(and my stash) 8-)
Thank you Bonnie for your time and experience to teach and inspire, and push the sides of my "box"

Sheppard Morrison said...

All is well. So what if we need some more cloth or need to adjust. This is all so much fun! Thank you for my holiday season!

All Hip and No Hop said...

The live feed was going so fast I couldn't catch up! I'm happy we're into the purples. Yay! More neutrals? No problem. Back to the bin. So much fun :)

Janet Loomis said...

Thank you, Bonnie for putting this together for us. For most of us I am sure there are no worries about needing extra yardage. ;) Please don't beat yourself up for being human; that's why we love you.

rebecca said...

By repeating this simple four patch building type of block you have boosted my confidence. I feel like I might be able to make this MQ! So very happy that I will one day have my own purple & green quilt! Step two was a challenge for a lot of us, but so far so pretty!

Kimberly Smith said...

I once belonged to a mystery quilt group which COST $35 for membership, only to find out that WE were the beta testers! The multiple rewrites eventually meant I could not complete my quilt as I was unable to locate even similar fabric for a main feature. So, Bonnie, bringing in more scrappy neutrals for your amazing FREE teaching and pattern and community is a joyous shopping event in my book! Thank you for your contributions to the quilt community of the world.

Sandi Griepenstroh said...

Originally, I was going to use one neutral, but I was inspired by you to really dig into my scraps and find more! I am so glad I did:) The quilt will be more interesting because my little 4 patches from the neutrals are adorable!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Lois LaPointe said...

sew sew sew sweet! not to worry about any miss prints! (who said mistake?) I'm happy to be your tester any day of the week! You are inspiring and generous and make me smile!

Sandra Jantzi said...

It's like waiting for Christmas morning every Friday! My husband thinks I've lost it completely, haha. Thank you for all of your work to give us such a wonderful gift.

Amy said...

This has been a very fun experience!!! I wanted to try a mystery quilt and when I saw that the colors matched my living room colors perfectly I knew this was the one!!

Ameswf said...

Not stressing at all, made a few neutral 4-patches and a few magenta tri recs squares. I will make few purple 4-patches this week and catch up when I can. I chopped all my 3 yards of neutrals into 2 inch strips the first week -duh- so I will have some left over for another project down the road. I got to dig through my scraps for some more neutrals. Thank you for a fun pattern Bonnie.

Mary W Quilts said...

I love making four patches ❤️

Beth said...

Thank you Bonnie!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Bonnie, you are a super nice person and I love the challenge of making scrappiness work, i have a very healthy stash so I'm glad I'll be able to use even more of it than I thought! Now off to cut clue #3

Susan said...

Thank you, Bonnie. This is my first mystery quilt. I'm excited to see where this ends up.

Beverly Wood said...

This is my third MQ of yours and I am loving it. Thank you for sharing. DH loves to help. I knew I would have to buy some magenta so he suggested a drive to my favourite quilt shop. I thought I had enough mauve but could only find four swatches in my stash so off we go to my second favourite quilt shop. He even found two lovely mauve fabrics that I bought. Now if I could only get him to do some sewing...

Beverly Wood said...

This is my third MQ of yours and I am loving it. Thank you for sharing. DH loves to help. I knew I would have to buy some magenta so he suggested a drive to my favourite quilt shop. I thought I had enough mauve but could only find four swatches in my stash so off we go to my second favourite quilt shop. He even found two lovely mauve fabrics that I bought. Now if I could only get him to do some sewing...

Sandy said...

I am so appreciative of this opportunity to learn about quilting, Bonnie, and for the time you are taking to give us these clues.

Because of this being my first quilt EVER, one of your instructions has me puzzled. You said "Cut 168 matched PAIRS ready to sew." Does this mean pairs of squares or pairs of two squares, sewn together? People keep referring me back to the photo of the 4-squares, but it doesn't answer my question. I'm not trying to be obtuse, but the instruction is not clear to me. What am I to "pair up?"

Thank you again for your time.

Maryse said...

Enjoying being your beta testers....thank you!As soon as all my company leave I'll be in my studio 24/7.First gotta finish hubby's shirts then mail out gifts ...whew...
Finally time to quit and sew 24/7 til I drop

Linda Christianson said...

Had just the right amount of purple scrapes to make all the four patches. I am excited to see what the next clue will bring in color. thanks for all the fun.

infoladyone said...

Hi Bonnie! So happy to be using more of the purple Batiks I got when Michael and I went to Bali with you in 2012!