>>>>

Monday, July 25, 2016

Smith Mountain Morning in Helena!

20160724_110703
Say hello to two Sneaky Quilty Canadians!

Pauline and Darlene made their way from Calgary, Alberta Canada on a road trip, hitting quilt shops all along the way to take yesterday's workshop in Helena, Montana!

And they did so WITHOUT letting their guild buddies know ANYTHING about it.

You see,  when they were contacted after inquiring about openings in the workshops, they were told that there were only TWO spots available.

And they took them, keeping silent about the whole road trip until we posted this photo yesterday afternoon to Instagram and Facebook.

Oh, the responses!!


Their friend Janet commented to my post: “WHAT!!! Darlene and Pauline…You are in SO MUCH trouble!!”

And we laughed and laughed and laughed.

Next time I hope we have room for ALL of the Canadian quilters.  But you have to admit….this is pretty funny.  And you have to be willing to drop everything and hop in the car and drive many many hours on the spur of the moment when an opening becomes available!

More than anything, quilting together is about FRIENDSHIP!

20160724_102202

The laughter and giggles continued as friends stitched side by side!

20160724_102348

Caught in the midst of another group crack up!

20160724_150837

Bryl!  We told you no drinking and quilting!  Hahaha!

If laughter is the best medicine, we certainly got our dose full in this workshop!

46707a57-c97d-4c1c-be98-dcbe7d1a0f91

These lovely machines were seen in class!

I just love having the vintage beauties as well as the mondern wonders in class.  The contrast between the two is so fun!

20160724_154506

Such a great day, ladies!

You’ll find the rest of our shenanigans in the slide show below.  Enjoy!


The pattern for Smith Mountain Morning is found in my book Scraps & Shirttails II. Signed copies are available in the Quiltville Store.

I so appreciate the work that went behind the scenes to pull this whole week in Montana together.

I don’t know if you have noticed the blocks pinned to the walls over the last 3 days of workshops here in Helena but they are extra special and deserve mention.

20160724_151924

They are the work of Kerri Myles!

20160724_152034

All of my 100 blocks blocks!

My first block with Quiltmaker Magazine’s 100 blocks by 100 designers issues started with Volume 2.  There have been 12 blocks included to date. Kerri has made them ALL, and some of them more than once!  She is well on her way to having a sampler quilt of Quiltville blocks from these issues, and it’s going to make a beautiful quilt.  So much LIVING has happened over the past 6 years that Quiltmaker has been offering these issues.  I look at these blocks and I am humbled with the design opportunity this has given me.  I hope they go on for many many more years to come.

Will I start running out of ideas?

This morning I am catching an early taxi to the airport…it will be here in just a few minutes at 4:15 am.

I’m on my way home to North Carolina.

7_25_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

This is Kerri’s Florabunda made with cheddar and bug fabrics!  Pattern from the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Thank you, Bozeman and Helena for the kindnesses you’ve shown over the past week!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Bonnie! It was a great weekend. I had a blast and even learned some great tips. I now have some great leader/ender projects too! Have a safe flight! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, Do you know what my favorite 'act of kindness' is?? I love to pay for the person behind me!!! Sometimes it is just a coffee, sometimes it is a ticket to get into my favorite craft fair (I Love going and want to share the love!!) and my real favorite, especially if it is an older person and there is not much there - I will pay for their groceries!!! It is so much fun to surprise them!! But I usually do not like them to know it is me!! But kindness spreads, so common people!! Spread the love!! And it was fun to read about my fellow Canadians driving down to party with you this past weekend!!! That is something I could see doing!! Love it!! And I am saving scraps to make that quilt - and I bought the ruler you need for it 3 times!!! So I think I really do want to make this one!! I gifted the "extra's" to my friends!! Little do they know, they are making this with me now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my very favorite of your quilts (to date!). I need to get back to working on it. But of course, first I have to finish Razzle Dazzle in baby quilt size. All parts are made, just putting it together. Why is there not much more sewing time in my days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a delightful time with the Montana and Canadian gals.
    Bummed out, I live about 2 hours from Helena and 21/2 hours from Bozeman.
    So close but yet far, maybe next time. You are a movie star of quilting.
    All the quilts and blocks ar divine.
    Wishing you a sewful rest of your summer from the Big Sky County, Dillon, Montana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, there is a very peculiar comment at number 5
    I really like Smith Mountain pattern, and am bowled over by 12 blocks from Quiltmaker 100 Blocks, some wonderful quilters in this beautiful world.
    Sally M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I believe some SPAM got through with comment #5

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)