>>>>

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Grand Memories of Midnight Flight

20160511_144855
I have always said that quilting is much more than fabric and thread, pattern and construction.

It’s about relationships.

The BEST part of what I do is the meeting people from all walks of life, all levels of experience and learning who they are as PEOPLE.

You might look at a room full of quilters and just see women, old and young – all wearing that same label QUILTER as if we are all the same.  But we are SO different.  Everyone has a story, everyone has past experiences that we can only imagine.

I love asking my ‘more mature” students what they did before they retired.  The answers will surprise you!  Lawyers, doctors, chemists, accountants, engineers, architects, nurses, teachers, designers, every kind of experience that you can imagine is in this one room gathered at this place in time.  Wouldn’t it be great to bottle all of that life experience so we could draw from it?

Last night I spent a pleasant hour in the ballroom with 3 generations of women: Mother, daughter, and granddaughters who all came to spend a girls week over Mothers Day weekend and take in the needle art seminar together. The two granddaughters are 11 and 5. They spent time in my classroom this week while their mom was in my class and those girls were so well behaved.

We just danced and danced to big band music. So fun! I am heading home a happy woman for having my path cross that of others in these amazing places.

Thank you Needle Art Seminar, Thank you, Grand Hotel!


20160512_061115

6am view from my window.

The porch lights are still on and there is a freighter barge on the lake.

20160511_143018

Memories of the past week captured in photographs!

Jamie was with me in Peru and I was so happy to have her here from Napa, Caliornia!

20160511_143826

One half of a crazy pair of sisters from Lynchburg, VA!

20160511_114158

Quilting together makes life so  much more fun!

groupday6

What an amazingly diverse group of women!

Catch our whole 2 day workshop in the following slide show!


 The pattern for Midnight Flight is found in my book MORE Adventures with Leaders & Enders and signed copies are available in the Quiltville Store.

I have packed my bags, left them outside of my door and they’ve already been picked up for their trip to the ferry.

My own horse drawn taxi leaves at 10:15 so as soon as I send this off I’ll have some time for some last photo opportunities before heading to the docks myself.

I need to check those tulips and see if they have opened!!  They are so close to bursting, I’ve been cheering them on each time I’ve passed in front of the hotel.  Is today the day?
What a send off that would be!

5_12_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

As many of my students discovered this week, learning new things is not always comfortable, and things don't always come easy. There is no growth without struggle! Push the boundaries of your comfort zone and see just what you can do!

Scrappy Mountain Majesties quilt in recycled Fabrics made by my friend Mona! Free pattern from the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Happy Thursday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

7 comments:

  1. I love that you were able to showcase one of Mona's quilts in you quote of the day! You've taken her from, "I could never do that," to a prolific, skilled and talented scrap quilter. Woo hoo! Thanks for sharing your Grand time with all of us. Safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:00 PM EDT

    So deep, that one needs boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had a whirlwind week! Great to see all the Quilts in one place. Thanks for taking a picture of yours outside. It looks perfectly happy to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was soooo wonderful to spend the week with you!! Thank you for making my first quilting lesson so memerable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful week with all of us! Mackinac Island is such an enchanted place. I was lucky enough to go there twice while living in Michigan for a few years. I never dreamed they held quilting classes at the Grand Hotel. Again, thank you Bonnie!
    Safe Travels,
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen Fields10:57 PM EDT

    Jamie!!! My bestest quilt buddy! It looks like you had a wonderful time (how could you not?!?) Did you remind Bonnie that she quilted Jason's wedding quilt for me all those many years ago? I want to hear all about it when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, Bonnie treats all of us as dear friends. Some days I really need to read the post and know I have a friend out there and probably many more, waiting to be found.Thank you,Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)