>>>>

Friday, September 04, 2015

Quilt Odyssey Retreat, Day 1!

20150903_151716
Hello from Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania!

I arrived yesterday afternoon, taking the historic and very scenic Route 30, otherwise known as the Lincoln Highway all the way from Schellsburg to where it meets interstate 81 outside of Chambersburg. 

Such a GORGEOUS drive, and while I know the PA turnpike can cut off much of the time it took for me to drive here over every windy hairpin turn and “through town” speed limit changes, I was in no hurry to get here and it was a beautiful day for a long drive.

From Wikipedia:
Conceived in 1912 by Indiana entrepreneur Carl G. Fisher, and formally dedicated October 31, 1913, the Lincoln Highway ran coast-to-coast from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park in San Francisco.
The Lincoln Highway was America's first national memorial to President Abraham Lincoln, predating the 1922 dedication of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., by nine years.
As the first automobile road across America, the Lincoln Highway brought great prosperity to the hundreds of cities, towns and villages along the way. The Lincoln Highway became affectionately known as "The Main Street Across America"
And so I took it – from Schellsburg to Chambersburg!

We set up for retreat with the ladies arriving around 3pm, setting up our sewing stations and enjoying our first dinner together.

After my presentation last night, open sewing commenced – but I didn’t stay long.  I’d been up since 6am and my bed was calling me!

Besides, I needed to be ready to start this weekend’s retreat project: Fair and square from Scraps & Shirttails II!

20150904_094652

Sew Much Stringy Fun!

This is a two block quilt, so today we worked on the string blocks, tomorrow we will do the checkerboard blocks.

Just a quicky slide show as I prepare to run off for dinner.

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device, you’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Fair & Square, Day 1, Boiling Springs PA 2015



20150903_153456-1

I’m all set to sew for my evening too!

20150904_153741

There is a new guide in the house.

I can’t find the Scotch Restickable Mounting Strips that I have been using as a seam guide –I don’t know if they quit making them, but there are none to be found in any of my travels.  So I need something new.  And in a hurry.

I prefer a stationary guide when sewing for many reasons, but I want one that doesn’t fuzz up and scootch over the way that moleskin does, and it has to stick better than post it notes.

It has to be LOW enough that I can do stitch and flip corners without removing the guide from my machine.

And most of all, it has to stick for more than 5 minutes and come unstuck like the purple vinyl strips and some others do.

This is my first run with these.

20150904_155230

Damage Free Poster Strips.

There are 12 in a package for about $2.50 or less.  They stick just fine, and I put the rounded pull tab end toward the back of my machine so it didn’t catch my fabric as I sew.

Within 30 minutes the top peel and stick paper that you see with red writing also fell off.  I stuck a piece of masking tape on top of it so the top didn’t have the sticky revealed.

So far it is doing okay, but time will tell the more I use it and find out if it does stay stuck down – or if it wiggles and shifts and the edges lift up like moleskin.

Tonight we’ve got Show & Share at 7pm, and then the night is ours for sewing on whatever we want!

There is also a hot tub.

Oh, and fun thing of all fun things – there is a play house here with real musical theater. Many of us have tickets to see the live performance of The Fantastiks tomorrow at 8pm!

I can’t wait!

Better go join everyone for dinner – have a great evening, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

12 comments:

  1. Is that a cheddar colored feather weight I spy? Is it something new or have I missed it since I am only a six month member. Whatever I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love the look of that black and white string block! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt popped up on quiltville sight today and I fell in love. Think it will be my next scrappy quilt. It fits in well with our theme for guild this year...scrappy scrappiness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie,
    I have been able to find the restickable strips at Hobby Lobby.
    Dale psychgirl43617@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My word, what a beautiful machine! What model is that!!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I have found quite a variety of the Scotch Restickable Mounting Strips listed on Amazon and if you don't happen to have Prime - they are an "add-on" item.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved that one....that does it....it's time for me to make a "Fair and Square" !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pick your size!

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_20?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scotch+restickable+mounting+tabs&sprefix=scotch+restickable+m%2Caps%2C216

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome machine and tha strips you are using look great too. Am i love with The quilt Bonnie iT is stunning. Thank you for The tips and writing about The highway. Love to learn new things. Happy teaching. Yoka B

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found some of the Scotch restickable mounting strips at Staples a couple of weeks ago. What a perfectly gorgeous machine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you tried Alicia's Attic QTools Sewing Edge? It's a little more expensive, but it's repositionable so you can use it over and over again. No affiliation whatsoever, but here is a listing for it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300873214917?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

    My friend bought it for me from her local quilt shop. You can also use it on your rulers so your fabric bumps up against it for a perfect cut very time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've thought of using the magnetic rolls as a seam guide. just cut the length you need and stick it on. have you tried this?




    fletcher.jean@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)