>>>>

Thursday, July 02, 2015

A Day for Waterfalls!

20150702_114516
The Blue Ridge Mountains are full of hidden wonders only accessed by perseverance on nearly hidden trails.

If you don’t look closely, you just might miss that trail head that will take you to some of the most wondrous natural sites on our planet.

Waterfalls.

I have a fascination for them….

And I think my eldest son Jason has inherited his love of waterfalls from me --

We went out on the four wheelers today in search of the best that Buck Mountain has to offer.

The goal? To go UP to the top for the view DOWN – because I’ve never been to the top before!

 20150702_105412

We rode trails, and marveled at vast vistas. ever blue.

20150702_110922

Jason drove, I rode shot gun, and Sadie took up the rear!

20150702_111021

We played king of the rock cliff!

20150702_111257

Isn’t it amazing how rock formations can make you feel so small?

20150702_113453

Rhododendrons are in blissful bloom everywhere!

This bud cluster is about to pop and become this:

20150702_113508

Faintly pink!  Lovely!

20150702_114942

Purple spikey things too….love wildflowers!

20150702_113607

This is the stream that feeds the water fall!

This is the view from the top!


It's a long way down -- that's the parking lot down there!

20150702_114357

The hike down – water fall viewed through the trees!

20150702_115038

Sitting and relaxing to the sound of cool water plummeting.

20150702_115257

Sadie loves Jason too!

Should we go find the OTHER one?? 

20150702_171918

Jason on the 4 wheeler, Sadie & I in the Rzr!

20150702_172940

Exploring!

20150702_173206

Worth every bumpy moment of trail riding to get here!

20150702_173239

Awesome day, son!

The guys are back out on the 4 wheelers riding more trails – I begged off to get dinner started.  There are potatoes baking in the oven.  There is a salad ready to go, and steaks will soon be on the grill when they return.

And while they are gone….I just may get some more of THIS through the machine:

20150702_102858-1

Twirl Around blocks!

These are from my Addicted to Scraps column, and I need this top finished, backed, layered, quilted and bound by the end of the month!  I’m on a deadline….and I’m getting there!

Much love from Buck Mountain --


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. Bonnie, so beautiful, glad you had a good day you deserve it. But remember the bears on wolverton mountain, hope you don't have any down your way.
    Pat Dauphinee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahhhh, the sound of that waterfall! So relaxing. Just what you needed--that and some mother son time with Jason, of course. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds and looks like an amazing day to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous day!!! So glad you have so much water up there on Buck Mountain! Unfortunately so many lakes and streams are totally dry here in the west. The green looks so cool and inviting...but at least we don't have chiggers here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On your doorstep? What more could you ask? Quality time but where was Dave? Mind you, time with your offspring, to me, is the most precious time in the world. My days are Saturday's, that's when I have time alone with my lovely daughter! Enjoy your short break and have a happy 4th July - it's my hubbies birthday.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well he's pretty cute!! And I love that twirly block! Happy 4th Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie, thank you for taking us on the wonderful trip up Buck Mountain. What views and I loved the flower photos. Do rhododendrons grow wild there...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to spend the day. I love hanging out with my grown sons too! Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous pics. I'm in the foothills, but can so remember going there and seeing those wonderful waterfalls. Guess we need to do a day trip soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the beautiful sights & sounds. Great day with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful day spent with family and nature, can't be beat,! And sewing to boot! Love your blocks as always!😀

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)