>>>>

Monday, June 29, 2015

Playing with Jacks, VQF Style!

20150628_095140
Put the Vermont Quilt Festival on your BUCKET LIST.

And make it happen!

It’s a fabulous venue with awesome workshops in every arena of quilting – traditional, modern, art, surface design, paper piecing, applique, wool, you name it – there is an instructor there to teach it!

You can take a half day workshop and spend the second half of the day at the show, you can take full day workshops, one or more and turn it into retreat time with friends.

I just can’t say enough about this Venue, it’s up there as one of the top shows I love to teach at.

Of course, the best part of all?  Crazy fun students!!

This is Mia and Tracey ---in the remedial corner! HA!

By the time they got to register, this was the only workshop I had left open, the others were full, and they came anyway –even though they took this workshop from me 4 years ago!

Yes, they came with their tails between their legs, and their UFOs in tow, ready to rekindle their love for this project and see it to completion – what a great way to spend half of a day!

 20150628_101638

And of course, into everyone’s life a seam ripper must fall!

We had to laugh ---sometimes things just get turned around all by themselves when our backs are turned!  But never fear, there is always another student to commiserate:

20150628_101719

Yep, she did it too!!

The purple one is only webbed together, so it was a simple matter of un-stitching one unit, giving it a turn and sewing it back on…but with the music up loud, and everyone singing along and having a good time ---we didn’t mind some oops-ing and un-stitching!

20150628_094937

Our project – playing with jacks!

((Don’t mind the tape –it’s a figure of your imagination…we were not supposed to tape to the white boards, but the magnets would not hold!  Shhhh!))

The free pattern for Playing with Jacks is under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog and there are so many things you can do with these units!  The pattern includes several different layouts to inspire you.

20150628_094946

My smaller sample!  Same block, values reversed, and blocks individually colored

I hand quilted this one….miss my hand quilting!  Just can’t see to do it right now.

((This one does not have tape either…shhhh!))

20150628_111828

Love these colors!

20150628_112018

And these!  Oooh!!

20150628_111735

Great job ladies!! Thanks for the fun!

20150628_111805

Hold them high!

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Playing with Jacks, VQF 2015



I arrived home at nearly 11pm last night ---I’m completely wiped out!

I mean, you can’t party forever without running out of gas at some point ---

20150628_222851-1

This girl was home to greet me!

Missed her!

20150629_074736

This was my morning walk early this morning…..so good to be home!

I have missed my early morning walks.  There just hasn’t been time.  And the hotel in Vermont wasn’t near anywhere that I could walk, right off the freeway on a busy highway with no sidewalks.

I’ve got nearly a month off to get back into the swing of things.  I’m going to take some time for myself, so we won’t do Quilt-Cam until AFTER the 4th of July weekend.  I’m heading up to Quilt Villa on Wednesday – Jason is coming!  I have so missed my mountains, and can’t wait to be up there.

Today is for sorting things out, taking care of book orders that have come in over the past week since I left, and just being home.

And oh, yeah – those FAT QUARTERS!

They are still there – I guess the elves didn’t get the memo to come fold them while I was gone.

Happy Monday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That morning walk pic; that's got to really help the rejuvenation process you need right now. So glad you're taking some time off; you have really been on the run for quite a while, especially with all the timezone changes heaped on top of each other.

    I have to tell you, Playing with Jacks is becoming my go-to pattern. It goes together so fast and easy, and it seems to look good in every color combo, theme, and mood. You've designed a real winner there. All your patterns tempt me to make them, but that one is the one that actually gets done. Thanks, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a good look at the slideshow--wonderful quilts will be coming from that class.

    Can someone please, pretty, pretty please with your favorite treat on top, identify the fabrics in the block shown in the 15th pic after Bonnie's smaller scrappy quilt? The block has 3 fabrics: a black with gray dots; a flower print in red, taupe, and blue; a coordinating red, taupe and blue dots.

    I love that combination. Does anyone know the manufacturer or line? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Gosh!!!
    I would certainly think you deserve time off. Recharge, regenerate use your mountains!!!
    I'm tired out after just reading your comings and goings:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin Wells6:23 PM EDT

    Love all the quilts and works in progress. But my favorite pics are always of Sadie. She's such a great companion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well THIS elf didn't know you needed one...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love reading the essays by Helen Kelley in Quilter's Newsletter. To prepare myself for my very stressful job, I had a book of her essays and would read one each morning before leaving for work. I've been retired for almost 8 years and I am so happy to have found your blog. Reading it is something I look forward to every single day. You make me laugh, you make me look at things in a new way, and you make me care for how you are doing instead of just how I am doing. We moved to a new state almost a year ago and I really miss my friends. You are the "friend" I look forward to "seeing" each day. Thanks for being such an important part of my day.

    sharonisaquilter@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:14 AM EDT

    Enjoy your time off. I'm anxious to see what you're doing on "your own time".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie, I looked but do not recognize the fabrics. Sorry!

    Bonnie, I am so glad to read you are taking a month off! You need that! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone is having so much fun in your classes. I'm happy to learn you have a remedial class at the VFQ. Now I can have fun with everyone next year because I am waaaaay remedial!

    Looking forward to next year's festival.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leaves on Grass, thank you so much for your response. I think I will carve out a bit of time this evening for an online search. I'll update if I have any luck.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)