>>>>

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Down in Lucy Town–Jamestown, NY!

normal_lucybirthplace
A week or so before my arrival here in Jamestown, New York I was asked if I was interested in seeing some special commemorative sites around town –a Lucille Ball tour of sorts!

Oh, yes!  Sure!  I had no idea that Lucille Ball, lovingly called Lucy by those who have watched her reruns again and again and again throughout previous decades of our lives, was originally from this town!

And they are sure proud of Lucy and revere her efforts to bring us the joy of life, happiness and so much laughter from her scenes in the still ever popular “I Love Lucy” show.

I don’t think there is ANYONE who doesn’t love Lucy.  She is classic!  And what a funny, terrific lady.

Who in this day and age, nearly 70 years later does not remember the Vita-Meata-Vegamin scene?

Or Lucy losing control in the chocolate factory?

These episodes still make me smile today and I was pleased to be able to tour the place that Lucille Ball called home until about the age of 19.

lucybaby


Lucille Ball, born on August 6th, 1911 in Jamestown, New York

20150605_152931

While young, Lucy lived in this house!

It looks like an every day modest family home from the early years of the 20th century.  But there is still a bit of Lucy about…check out the garage:

20150605_152950

Painted like her famous blue polka dot dress!

Around town there are wonderful murals bringing to mind favorite scenes from the beloved series:

20150605_151125

The Desilu Studios building is a museum and comedy play house!

20150605_150845

There she is…Vitameatavegamin for HEALTH! 

20150605_150926

Lucy and Desi on the side of a building through a car window!

20150605_151105

The chocolate factory episode!

20150605_151554

The Ricardos and the Mertzes on a road trip to somewhere ---

20150605_152549

Me and the ugliest statue of Lucy EVER ---

Doing the Vita-meata-vegamin face!

This does NOT look like the Lucy that I know and love:

lucyfancy1

Now THIS is Lucy!  What  a beauty!

The funny thing is, the statue has been dubbed “Scary Lucy” and there are measures being made to replace it with something MORE “Lucy-like” in resemblance.  I have to admit..the statue looks NOTHING like Lucy at all ---

If I were Lucy, I wouldn’t want to be associated with that statue either!

20150605_154323

The end of our Lucy tour – her memorial.

Lucy is remembered in a stately yet non-ostentatious way in a beautiful old cemetery in her birthplace of Jamestown, New York.

This marker is in a family plot, and she is here with family members:

20150605_154403

Ball Family.

Her father Henry, her mother Desiree, Lucille and her brother Fred.

As a quilter, I will always think of Lucy like this:

ce9a901b2f825902fec2df25556635ac

Lucy Festivals are huge in Jamestown, and to honor Lucy, I am leaving you with the largest grape stomping festival the world has ever known ---


Our workshop today was wonderful!  Photos to follow tomorrow.

I’m back to my room – it’s about 8pm and I plan on some jammies and sewing time on a borrowed featherweight before tucking myself in for a good night’s sleep.

8 comments:

  1. How awesome! We love Lucy too! She is funny across generations--way back when when I started walking the treadmill I treated myself to every episode...would only allow myself to watch them when I was walking the treadmill. Watched them all that way! This past year went to Vegas to the wax museum and got my photo with Lucy--we share a bday too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should see the Fonzie statue in Milwaukee! It's close to what this is of Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:17 AM EDT

    I love Lucy! Do you know what sewing machine Lucy is using in that shot???

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the memory tour of Lucy's hometown. I'd love to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy and my Mother shared the same birthday. She has always been my favorite and I will watch her over and over again. I'll never get tired of her shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that mini-tour! I agree, everyone loves Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great post, Bonnie. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE "I Love Lucy" and it was fun to see all of the photos. I didn't even know this existed.

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't Lucy an absolutely stunning woman? They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . . what or who on earth was that sculptor beholding?!!!!! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)