>>>>

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Ready to Fly! England, are you READY!?

20140731_174250
The LAST thing on my to-do list for the trip to England has been handled.

I needed more brown hexies.

I’m nearly sick of brown hexies.

Who’s big idea was it to make a quilt with all these brown hexies anyway??!?

Oh yeah, ME.

I’m loving the quilt, but my variety was low, which meant I was getting tired of seeing the same thing after the same thing after the same thing all over again.  I don’t want the quilt to be so boring, so I dug into my 2.5” strips and cut some more.


I’ve talked about this before…

I stack my strips 8 layers thick.  I trace a template on the top layer with a fine point sharpie on the RIGHT side of the fabric, so when the seam allowance is turned under any ink lines will be toward the batting, not shadowing through the quilt top.  I cut through 8 layers with a big pair of scissors.  There is very little waste.

I trim because I want to remove as much bulk from the back of each hexie BEFORE basting.  This way I can tackle 8 at a time, instead of one at a time after they are basted.

And while I was at it, I cleaned out my busy bag!

20140731_170124

Oh yeah, loads of unnecessary stuff!

20140731_174305

Kitted up and pinned in sets!
((Did I mention I am sick of brown hexies?!))

20140731_182822

Pockets holding neutrals, reds, single browns, and the blue stripe I’m using.

20140731_182807

Flip the pockets and there are more pinned-together sets!

And of course things like tic-tacs, gum, thread, lip balm, needle threads, and a couple hexie rosettes waiting for the next section….

20140731_184419

Close up…and my audio books on an inexpensive non-smart mp3 player!

audio books on my cell phone runs the battery down too quickly.  Audio books on any smart device may expire before I’m done listening to them.  Audio books on a non-smart cheap mp3 player stay there until I physically remove the files!  I’m loaded up with historical fiction, and some murder who-done-it’s and maybe some schmaltzy romance…my ears will be listening, my hands will be stitching away.

I doubt I’ll sleep tonight.

I’m too excited!

I’ve got something special for tomorrow morning’s Bon Voyage post…you won’t want to miss it, so be sure you stop on by!

Toodle-oo and Cheerio and Pip-Pip and all else!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

32 comments:

  1. Merciful Journey!
    You'll be on visual overload and take weeks to get everything processed. One of my most vivid memories was having lunch in a little pub in a little town and across the street there were a set of stone steps going up to the next level. The stones were actually worn from 100's of years of people stepping on them.
    You don't see that here in the pacific northwest, they tear things down when they are only 25 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Trails! I am looking forward to seeing what you are up to England! I feel like I am seeing the world with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget your "brelly" - could be rainy at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hexies make my heart happy for some reason. Maybe it's how neatly packaged they are. Love the browns. Have a safe journey Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get your busy bag? I love it! Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I hope you have a jolly good time in England. Perhaps you'll have some tea and crumpets for your morning breakfast. The hexies are a great way to pass the time. A friend of mine follows you as well, and is doing the hexies and says she is 'hooked'. I guess certain things can become like a drug because you get so addicted to something so fun. I can't wait until tomorrow to see what your surprise is. Have a very safe and a very wonderful trip. We'll be waiting for your fun posts. Linda of MN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie Beard Hope you have as good a time in England as we did in Ireland. Happy and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great trip!! Be safe and come back to us with lots of stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:47 PM EDT

    Hope you have a wonderful trip. Thought I might get to join you on this trip but things came up that I couldn't get out of. Maybe next year. Can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Trails and yes, where did you get your busy bag?
    I love it and need one. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how excited you are and it's fun to share in the excitement even if my feet are staying on the ground here in Virginia! I was checking out the Sew Many Places trips for 2015. They all sound amazing. I am actually hoping I can make one. Have a safe and wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Safe travels Bonnie! " Mind the gap" is what you'll hear if you are traveling in the tube. I see some familiar browns I gifted you back in December-January. You may be tired of browns, but you've got variety my friend. Hugs, Allison in Plano who is super excited for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please don't forget to have clotted cream and lemon curd on your scones at tea time! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recognise that straw weave brown fabric !!! Have fun on your trip, be safe.
    Mary in Buffalo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you are set to go!!! To Merry Old England, lucky you!!!! Love that place.

    Any fabric color I see too much of, I get to dislike shortly. So your brown 'problem' is very normal to me. Can't wait to see this quilt!

    Have fun, make SURE to take photos...
    Smiles, JuieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a wonderful time Bonnie! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a fun,safe ad fabulous trip. Will be anxiously waiting each evening for your wonderful pictures and posts ofvthhe days happenings. I love when you travel and provide us with such wonderful postings and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would be more than happy to send you a " squish ice" of different brown fabric but I seem to remember something about Please do not feed the quilter........have a wonderful time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That would be squishie. Hate autocorrect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous11:52 PM EDT

    Safe travels, I'll be looking forward to pictures.
    J Farley

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have a great trip. Can't wait to see your surprise post tomorrow. And that busy bag, what is the brand? - Linda Minor Holliday

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lyn Shipman12:49 AM EDT

    Be sure to photograph the White Cliffs of Dover caused by when the ocean sray hits the cliffs and leves behind "white foam" that builds up over the years. I have, no doubt, you'll make us a scrap quilt pattern from all that you see and experience.

    God speed.
    Keep smiling,

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wouldn't be able to sleep either!
    Love your busy bag, lots of pockets and all zipped in so nothing falls out. I was wondering where one can find one if they are looking for one.
    Thanks-safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome on the "old continent" ! Between Stonehenge and tea time, can you visit me in Toulouse.... Just a little lower.... In south of France... The weather is wonderful and a bedroom is ready for you...! Have a good trip ..!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Bonnie, Yes, England is ready for you!
    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have a wonderful time here in the UK. The weather has been wonderfully kind to us this summer ... hope it keeps nice for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am about as excited about this trip as you are because you share so much with us! Thank you! By the way I just got a 1920 New Millard treadle machine. It looks very, very much like your Singer 27.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Enjoy the trip -- it sounds wonderful -- can't wait to see your blog posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful time you are gonna have!! I would love to go with you. I will almost be through your posts and pics. I, too, would like to know about your busy bag. I also would like to know about your MP3 player. Thanks, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just wanted to say It is really an informative sharing. I hope you will share more posts just like It.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)