I received a little email from my friend Pat Sloan this morning giving me a heads up on an amazing opportunity she had recently!
Many of you have heard of and have been following Karen Nyberg while aboard the Space Station –and if you haven’t – you need to START!
I had the fantastic opportunity to interview quilting Astronaut Karen Nyberg about how she did a quilt block while she was on the last space shuttle. WOWZER! She was so 'down to earth' and fantastic to chat with about quilting. She also has issued a challenge to make a star block and send it to join 'her block' she pieced in space.
I hope you will be able to share this interview with your readers. I'd love to spread the joy and collect star blocks to go with hers!
The interview was Jan 6, 2014 and you can hear it on the player at my radio show page here: http://www.creativetalknetwork.com/
Her facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/AstronautKarenNyberg
and this is the link to the star block challenge: http://quilts.com/home/contests/viewer.php?menu=entries&page=../../contests/y2013/2013AstronomicalChallenge
hopefully it will work out that you can share it with your readers!
with much love... Happy New Year!
Here’s a video of Karen with her block in space!
How can you be a part of this exciting project? Submit your own star-themed block!
Download a PDF of the Astronomical Quilts! Block Challenge rules and details
- Create a star-themed 9.5”-square unfinished block (so that when quilted, it will be a 9” finished block).
- The theme should be any variation on a star. We welcome all types—traditional, modern, and artsy variations. Limit one block per person.
- Use any color scheme and techniques you would like, but please do not use any embellishments.
- Sign your unfinished block on the font with a permanent marker. Please include your name and your location.
- Mail your block to us at the address below by August 1, 2014.
Have some ASTRONOMICAL FUN!