>>>>

Friday, November 15, 2013

Run Away Sewing!

cheddarsampler 013
I played hooky yesterday!

I was on the fence about it – do I go, do I stay ---but thanks to the encouragement and cajoling by some Facebook friends, I threw everything into my big tub of recycled strings and bits, loading everything quickly into Shamu and off  I went, down the road and up a piece!

And before you think I left my whole family and ran off yet again – The Hubster is out of town on business and returning tonight, Jeff is working, and I’ll be home this evening!

I've met many people while on the road ---and have become friends with some “almost local” gals ---too far away to see often, but close enough that a couple hours drive will put me in their vicinity and when we get together, it’s always a good time!

There are three of us this time.  We set up to sewing and let the fun begin!

cheddarsampler 012

My mess of strings are being sewn with my school bus featherweight – and she is NOT skipping stitches!

cheddarsampler 014

This morning I counted and I have done 34 string blocks as of yesterday afternoon!

We stopped about 7pm and went out to a local grill pub for dinner.  We came back and sewed some more.  I even played hooky from my usual evening blog post!  Did you miss me?

I was sewing sashings until midnight!

How many do I need? It depends on how I set this quilt:

cheddarsampler 003

At this point I’m thinking 7 blocks across by 7 blocks down.  The blocks are  6” each,  so that gives me 42” But the addition of the 2” finished sashing will give me a quilt center that measures 60” X 60”.

Have you ever wondered if there is an easier way to figure out how many sashings and cornerstones you need for a quilt?  All you need to know is how many blocks across and how many down!

You’ll find the sashing chart for straight set quilts HERE.

And the chart for on-point sashings is HERE.

Both are found under the Tips & Techniques tab at the top of the blog – have you checked out all the other charts and goodies found up there?  Take a poke around and familiarize yourself with it!

According to the chart, if I set this quilt 7 X 7 I need  112 sashings and 64 cornerstones. ((They are the square in a square unit you see in the photo above))  I’m not quite there yet ---I better quit typing and get back to sewing!

Happy Friday, Everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

30 comments:

  1. Love this cheddar!!! Several of us sew together on Fridays at the farmhouse (quilt shop)
    Have a good day
    Paula in KY

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo, good for you! play hooky and enjoy yourself!!!! really love those sashings with these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The cheddar with the scrappy sashing is a show stopper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that you have quilting friends close enough to get together and sew the day away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You deserve some time to play! I'm about to head out to a sewing day with friends. Love those kind of days!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, you are such a big inspirator, I always wondering about the things you made, and so fast, unbelieveble!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl, all of us needs to play hooky once in a while. Did miss you last night, but glad you were doing something fun, Love the school bus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the different blocks you made along with the strings. Just beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sneak peak you showed with your quilt top layout plan... love the scrappy blocks and borders.. love the square in a square you make look sooo easy! Thanks for inspiring.. and yes I missed your post last night but glad you played hooky and had fun without worry we would leave! lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your happiness is infectious! Isn't it amazing how sewing with friends and playing with fabric can make us soooo happy! I think we all need to play hookey now and again!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gosh woman I wish I had half your energy and drive. You truly fit that saying "you can't hit a moving target". Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow I love this site, I found u on fb, thru one of Carmen's posting. I hope that u don't mind if I hang around ur site. I love the quilt that ur making, is it going to be a baby or lap quilt or a big one. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol! I love Jacqueline's quote above! It's perfect for you! Wonderful to hear you had such a great day stitching with friends. Everyone needs to recharge their batteries and what better way to do that, than to spend a day enjoying yourself. Hope you have a great Friday as well! Quilt On!
    Linda Craig
    Manitoba, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this quilt. I haven't been able to find cheddar color fabric, where do you get your?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely LOVE that quilt! Guess what I will be working on during my ski trip and quilt retreat in January? This!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's good to take some time for you and recharge!! Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love sewing with my friends! Can't wait until I retire and have time to do it more often. Love these blocks and it is nice to have these kind of grab it and go projects. Have a great weekend Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sometimes just gotta do it! and well worth the time away too....gorgeous units

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's GREAT to be able to play hooky and STILL get things done! Have fun with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cheddar! Almost matches your machine. The summer solstice quiltalong will be my first totally scrappy quilt. Several of us in Friendship quilters are doing it. FYI-ladies are already trying to sign up for your classes with us next Oct. We have BH groupies in our guild:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love strip piecing.. It requires so little thought that it's a great project when you want to talk to friends! Don't know why you feel the need to apologise for not posting last night. It's not like we are paying for it, lol and if anyone deserves "time off for good behaviour" it's you. Relax!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Are they your barristers sow along blocks??
    Looking fantastic with that sashing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You deserve a mind clearing runaway day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so happy you got to play with your friends!! We all need that. It just makes everything "funner"!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like you had a great day with friends, just what you provide for others in your class! It is good for the soul to take time out every now and then, no pressure, no stress, just fun. Glad you enjoyed it. you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the cheddar blocks! are they some of the 50th blocks you were making??

    ReplyDelete
  28. love the sashing with these blocks. Home playing with my iPad keyboard cover and really like the feel of this keyboard for my tablet. Should have bought this a year ago instead of buying the cheapo plastic rollup kind. Have a great trip to TX.
    Gail in Verona

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good for you Bonnie. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends who sew/quilt so I do envy you (and all the other quilters who are able to share their hobby). It's about time you made time for yourself, you're like a hurricane spiralling from one place to another. I don't know how you do it.
    Linda H, England.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)