>>>>

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rosemary’s Orphans!

I had a great email with some amazing photos from Rosemary Youngs.

Rosemary Youngs is an award-winning quilter who enjoys designing quilts that tell a story.

She is the author of the Amish Circle Quilt, the Civil War Diary Quilt and the Civil War Love Letter Quilt book. 

The Civil War Anniversary Quilt Book was released in May of 2012 .

She has also released Quilts from the American Homefront, 121 quilt blocks inspired by letters from World War II.
 
But when I think of Rosemary, it always goes back about 12 years ago when we were both on the Dear Jane email list, both of us honing our love of scrappy quilts with small blocks and many pieces.
 
Rosemary wrote:
 
Enjoyed your email about your UFO's, so funny, two weeks ago I took all my Civil War blocks that were UFOs and assemble them into this.
Going to pull all the 1930s reproduction next week and then the brights  and hopefully I won't have any more UFO Or orphan blocks.
Quilt finished 100 x 107, could not believe I have that many blocks.
 
When prolific quilters get a bee in their bonnets to clear out the orphan and ufo bin ---you better stand back!
 
Here is Rosemary’s quilt made from all civil war pieces, parts, stops and starts, orphan blocks and more:
 
ry1

Rosemary’s Orphans, 100” X 107”
 
ry2

Close up of the fun mess of stuff in here!
 
I am really interested in the blocks that look to have photo transfers!
 
ry3
 
Another section!  Isn’t this tree cool?
 
More from Rosemary:
Going to pull out all my Orphan 1930  blocks next week, can't wait to see what they make.
Just cannot believe How many I had, I don't think it ever done that since I started quilting In the late 1980s. 
To me it was kind of like getting a free quilt, something that looked like it took a long time And much thought to put together. LOL
Hope you find some time to get some stitching accomplished today, certainly hope that I do.
 
Rosemary’s website: http://rosemaryyoungs.com/
 
Visit her blog:  http://rosemaryyoungs.wordpress.com/
 
I can hardly wait to see what she comes up with next!  ((ooh love that cheddar – can’t wait to get back to my Time Out project!))
 
Are you going to join me for Quilt-Cam today?  2pm Eastern ---I’m planning on doing my little square in a square cornerstones with paper piecing to help me use up the random scraps.  These babies only finish at 2” and I get a good result that way.  Stop by and see me!
 
I’m off to Sam’s Club early this morning – I’m out of padded mailers!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


































9 comments:

  1. That quilt is just amazing. Quite the challenge to fit all the parts together. It now looks like a really old quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is amazing. I love the tree block also.
    I will be joining you for QuiltCam! Going to work on my Pineapple Crazy blocks from your book String Fling on my new to me treadle. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I would love to see the process for fitting those all together and having it be flat and straight! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a fantastic quilt. love love love

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS was a UFO project?! What a wonderful treat to see, and realize orphan blocks and imagination.

    Good post Bonnie
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous quilt! There is so much going on, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)