>>>>

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Cabin Quilting --- Al Fresco!

As I drive out of the Piedmont, leaving the valley behind, this is the first glimpse I get letting me know that there are indeed mountains ahead.

I can’t help myself.  At this view, my heart sings and I scared Sadie silly by yelling “Whoowhooo!” inside the closed confines of my van, Shamu.

Sadie was not amused.

But I was EVER so excited.

This is my first SOLO trip to the Cabin.  Of course, I have Sadie for company --- check out her eager “ready to go” face:

cabin_Sept2013 008

Are We There Yet?!

And yes, there is a stack of quilts  on the seat next to her. ((She is actually on her dog bed on the floor.))  The nights are getting cooler up in the Blue Ridge, and I like the weight of many quilts on me for deep peaceful sleeping in chilly temperatures.

cabin_Sept2013 013

Look! I’ve got mums!!

These bushes were just GREEN when I was here last.  I pulled up to a corner overflowing with yellow….NICE!

cabin_Sept2013 023

Setting up house for the weekend means hanging out the flag.

This is a sure sign to our neighbors that we are here for the weekend.  Or at least ---Sadie and I are!  I’ve met a few of our neighbors.  Most of them are part timers too, but I’m hoping to run into some of them this weekend.  It would be great to get to know them better.

cabin_Sept2013 019

First things first though…Sadie wanted to do some of this!

cabin_Sept2013 021

And some more of this!  Oh, it smells so good outside!

The humidity is gone.  The bugs are disappearing – they were not bothering me at all on the walk, so I thought…well…why not?  It’s too beautiful OUTSIDE to want to be sewing in the basement INSIDE…

Dare I?

cabin_Sept2013 024

This is the downstairs patio, off of the walk out basement.

((I really love that porch swing hanging at the far end, see it?))

What if I were to just roll that treadle machine outside? There are no steps…it’s right on the other side of those double green doors!

cabin_Sept2013 025

PERFECT!  Quilting Al Fresco!

The rolling microwave cart was left here by the previous owners, and though ugly and outdated, it has made the most wonderful quilting companion!  I can put all my stuff on it and roll it around to where I need it.

The green door mat is there to catch my chain piecing so it doesn’t land in the gravel.  Sadie is cozy on her bed….

cabin_Sept2013 026

And best of all…I get this view, All afternoon!  We sewed a good 4 hours out here until the light was too far gone and the bugs were getting bothersome as the evening light began to settle in.

Everything is moved back inside those double doors, and I’ll sew inside tonight – but if the weather is as pretty tomorrow as it was today, you will find me back out on the patio again, treadling away and enjoying my piece of the Blue Ridge!

Have a great evening, everyone!

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

44 comments:

  1. Well that is a little piece of heaven! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy mountaining! Ive been thinking of a day trip at least to catch the leaves soon. Love the Blue Ridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful. You've found heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! Your dream come true!! Treadling outside in the fresh mountain air!! Pure delight! Can't think of anyone more deserving! :-D Becky E. WA

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, you are so blessed! Enjoy! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jealous but glad your having such a wonderful time. April from Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing view! I'd be sewing outside too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy the relaxed "alone" time in the beautiful mountains. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great weekend ahead for you and Sadie...Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful view !

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading your post, my heart is singing for you! What a beautiful spot. And thanks for pointing out the porch swing . . . I couldn't see it at first, it blends in so well. Enjoy. And I'm glad you have Sadie there to keep you company!

    Cynthia in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your view and as always your enthusiasm is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little piece of heaven, indeed! I'm so happy that you finally got a long weekend to be up at your beautiful cabin. The yellow mums were a lovely welcome. It's really nice that you can just roll your quilting stuff right out the door and sit with that lovely view. Sadie looks really happy about it as well. Happy sewing Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in this same area as your cabin, it's beautiful and I love to call it home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks heavenly, Bonnie! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy your time in the Blue Ridge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a wonderful time! I love sewing on my deck, especially now that the summer heat is past.

    ReplyDelete
  19. u have my dream cabin!!! lol enjoy for me!!!!stay blessed

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am SO happy for you ... especially being able to stitch outside. I did that a little this summer on our back deck and it was marvelous! MY own "Sadie Anne" would have been just like yours ... curled on her bed (they have the BEST ones at Sam's Club right now) ... she's my traveling buddy, perched on her bed. Enjoy your time at the cabin ... you've MORE than earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy for you and Sadie, but also envious looks like utopia with a treadle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. tomorrow I am headed to Asheville, will attend the quilt show, and enjoy the beauty with my daughter and her best friend. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your cabin. We use to have one for 33 yrs and I miss it. My dad had built it himself :) It would only take us 45 minutes to get there. When you were about 3000 feet up that is when you could start to smell the nice wonderful air. How long does it take you to get to your cabin? Hope it isn't a long time either. My 2 dogs are laying here on their beds to getting ready for me to sew. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so glad that you have found such a wonderful place to relax and unwind. The view is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That just looks like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad that you and Sadie have been able to enjoy the beautiful fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad that you and Sadie have been able to enjoy the beautiful fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. girl, you got it made!

    ReplyDelete
  30. how utterly peaceful... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. looks/sounds like heaven to me! I could easily handle it being spring/fall all year round! Sadly, I will never have that luxury of sewing outside.

    The lip over the patio door onto the deck is too high and I'd never get my machine over it. PLUS, I would scratch the hardwood floor wheeling it around! ALSO, my machine is down a level in my garage (which is my sewing area.........unless I decide in the winter it's too cold, and then I might move the whole sewing area into the extra TV room and put THAT into the garage!?! Who needs to watch TV anyhow? lol Hubby and daughter might disagree lol)

    Wintery Canadian weather will be here soon enough (BLAGH......I hate winter!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely Sadie!! Those great warm doggie-brown eyes.... I've been a dog-person all my life....
    I think a dog was the first love of my life...; quilting the second...... LOL
    WOW!!! You have such an amazing view from that cabin! So great you can sew on the porch; and what a beautiful porch it is!!!!!!!
    Have a ton of fun out there!!!!!!
    Love from the Netherlands, Ria

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lucky you at your lovely cabin. I have only been to USA once. We took our son to the university in Boone and drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway! Small world.
    Transform that microwave cart by painting it a pretty colour. I paint lots (sell a bit)of furniture and the difference a bit of paint makes is quite amazing.
    Have a good one,
    Regards from warm and sunny England, LW

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lucky you at your lovely cabin. I have only been to USA once. We took our son to the university in Boone and drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway! Small world.
    Transform that microwave cart by painting it a pretty colour. I paint lots (sell a bit)of furniture and the difference a bit of paint makes is quite amazing.
    Have a good one,
    Regards from warm and sunny England, LW

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous5:14 AM EDT

    In the second picture (the one with Sadie looking right at the camera) what is the name of the quilt pattern on the seat behind her? The quilt looks like one of your patterns but I can't put a name to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was curious too.

      It is the "Oregon or Bust" quilt from Scraps & Shirttails II book.

      Carole Y from Canada

      Delete
  36. With that glorious view, who needs an electric sewing machine. Gosh, I cal almost smell the clean mountain air.

    ReplyDelete
  37. SOOOOOOOOOO jealous! Enjoy your time in heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You bring tears of happy to my eyes. I am green. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  39. your own personal quilt retreat! How cool is that??? super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sounds exactly like heaven to me!! ENjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG! I once had a dream that I was sewing outside on my mothers 15-88 Singer treadle, under the great big maple trees in my parents backyard.... I was a late summer day, with a beautiful slight breeze!!! Really, I did.... my husband called me "whacked", but I know it will happen one day... right now enjoying treadling away in the basement catching up on episodes of tv.... or hockey or football!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)