>>>>

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Talkin’ Turkey All Day Long!

Did you ever laugh so hard all day long that your cheeks hurt by the time you finally FINALLY went to bed?

That was my day yesterday!

Not only was my mood uplifted ((And held there – suspended)) by friendship and giggles and stories and connections to others via our shared passions and interests --- but my heart found joy in the joy of others.

This cute photo is of one of my students, Krista –and her terrific hubby David who showed his love and support for her passion for quilting by bringing her to Portland, Oregon from California so they could celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary together at Block Party.

WHAT A GUY!!  And he has a very cool wife too – I’ve so enjoyed having her in my classes.

Over the past couple of days, David has wandered in and wandered out --- and went to find ways to occupy his time with extended family while class was in session –but yesterday before lunch…..instead of wandering back out, he pulled up a chair and began to expertly remove the phone book paper foundations from the back of Krista’s string pieced block units for her!

portlandOR_mar2013 159

Whadda Guy!

Immediately, two thoughts ran through my mind:

  1. It takes a real man to remove paper foundations!
  2. The bar has been raised and he will be expected to remove paper foundations until the end of time!

That’s not the only relationship that flourished in the classroom….how about this one!

Two sisters, sitting side-by-side both cutting and swapping pieces with each other to build their variety ---talking and chatting like sisters do ---

portlandOR_mar2013 184

Double Duty Ripping!

I walked by while they were  BOTH busy frog-stitching their flying geese! 

One of these things is “JUST LIKE” the other ----I love relationships!

So without further a-do ---I hope you can feel the joy and friendship experienced in yesterday’s Talkin’ Turkey class.  Talkin’ Turkey is found in my book String Fling ---


Today we move on to Winston Ways – our last class of Block Party in Portland!

I’m trying not to feel sad that it is over so soon – but it’s been just wonderful meeting everyone --- new instructors I haven’t crossed paths with before, and some I’ve met before and am seeing again, and time with the gals from Creative Crafts Group, the company that parents Quiltmaker Magazine, and the Quiltmaker staff themselves --- we’ve got such a great mix of personalities and quilting abilities in different directions of genre ---it’s a full house of wonderfulness!  I hope it isn’t too long before our paths cross again!

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful turkeys, but even a more beautiful story of sharing!! Loved all the variations of color, but of course, red is the perfect color!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista sure is one lucky gal, what a guy, a REAL man.
    Sounds like a great time by all.

    Love your book String Fling:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool husbands are the best! What a great story...

    I love the red wagon full of supplies, too - waht a great way to do a big event like this! You only have to unload once, from your car to the wagon, and reload once rather than reorganizing stuff in the hotel room. Three cheers for a great idea!!!

    Talkin' Turkey is officially on my to do list now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that red wagon!!! Where on earth do you get one of those????

      Help, Bonnie!!! We need to know how to find one of those cool wagons!!!

      Delete
    2. I'm the Red Wagon Lady :D and you can find them in the sports department in Kmart. Some other folks said they had seen them in Costco, too. Happy hunting!

      Pat in Auburn, WA

      Delete
  4. Love all the turkeys being sewn there. Great stories and relationships abound. It's always a great time to sew and be with other quilters. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome thanks for telling us what book it is in! I really want to make that one. It's on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bonnie, all looks like fun. Would you do us all a favor and, whenever you're talking about a workshop project, could you please let us know which book it's in? That would help (at least me) immensely. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best parts of thos Block Party was meeting so many quilters that I only lnew from being pnline. Krista is pne of them. yea for grwat supports for pur passion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always say you meet the most wonderful people in this art form. Kudos to Krista's husband! We love our husbands that cheer us on and look the other way when a new bunch of fabric finds it's way home! I can't wait for May to see Bonnie in NY,she is such an inspiration...passion just oozes out!!!
    Sewhappy Cindy in NY

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great photographs of the husband's and sisters' hands working--wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO glad to know I am a REAL man now! LOLOLOLOL I must be SUPERMAN if I sew the blocks myself, and then pull off the paper foundation piecing! LOLOL JK Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is "frog stitching"?
    Love this blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a guy !!! what a fun class :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post Bonnie. Those two sisters hands working together is the way I feel during quilt cam with you. Thank you, Sharyn in Kalama

    ReplyDelete
  14. my husband helped me make his "Boat blanket" (for his deployments on a submarine), but I'm sure the internet would be destroyed in his attempts to remove the photographic evidence should I ever upload it. LOL

    that said, him sitting at the table with me trimming threads and pinning pieces together is one of my favorite memories -- and we've only been married a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My DH is my Cheid Paper remover! We are working on your Pineapple Crazy right now! That just might cure his love for removing paper!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the photos! Such a fun block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Talking Turkey. I was part of a block swap a ways back and it was one of those that you pick the block. Hard for me. Your String Fling came in the mail. I fingered through it and Talking Turkey popped out at me. The recipient just loved the block! Me too. It is on my bucket list with the other 20 Bonnie quilts I want to Make!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it wonderful to see so many husbands helping out. Too bad you have to leave when you do. The sun and blue sky will be here next week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My hubby takes the foundation papers off for me too! He says phone books are the easiest paper and copy paper the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! those other colors also show TT off to a beautiful advantage! Love the "travel wagon" to transport things to class. I have used wheelie coolers before and they are another neat way to transport everything in one container!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does that wonderful fellow provide classes or books, or videos or DVDs or conferencing or ????? for husbands?

    LOVE the end result - uhhh, I meant the quilt blocks but also end result of that particular couple. What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ...and, in the slide show, look how many of gals match their clothing and the quilt block!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Mom loved to make string quilts. When her eyesight got too bad to do anything else, she could still do this. My Dad and she would sit together in front of the TV and he would remove the paper from these blocks for her. He would even help her cut her fabric if she needed him to and go fabric shopping with her so he could look on the end of the bolt and make sure it was 100% cotton when she was not able to see it clearly herself. He was very much an outside person, taking care of his garden and lots of other things, but he was always there for her whenever she needed him to do anything. She has been gone for three years now and we sure do miss her!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too am lucky to have a husband that will do my "frog Stitching" and removal of papers for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Special people and special times.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband spent our 44th wedding anniversary with me at a Ricky Tim's Seminar! He's a really good guy, too--doesn't complain about my spending, either! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bonnie- couldn't access the pictures today- Skydrive asked me for a username and password- never did that before. Does anyone know how to get past this?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am also unasble to access Skydrive. I can see the pictures, but they are postage-stamp size, so all I can see is color. :(

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)