>>>>

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Antique Goodies for Spring!


I have a couple quilts to share from my stops on my way to my quickie retreat last week!

Terrible – I almost forgot I took pictures of these! 

But they look so springy --- Easter colors abounding!

And SO SIMPLE……these were quilts that were greatly loved and heavily used as I hope is the destiny for most of my scrap quilts.  After all – really---what are quilts FOR?

This is a simple album block variation…with mint green sashings and red cornerstones.  YUMMY!

The fabrics in it are fabulous ---wouldn’t this be a great one from the 2.5” bin?

antiquemall 017

One corner!  Oh yes, this says spring – love that fan quilting!

antiquemall 016

Full quilt.

I just find this striking in simplicity – and again, as we find with a lot of southern quilts --- no outer sashing or borders.  It ends where it ends and the binding finishes it.  I need to get BRAVE enough to do this..I always felt I *HAD* to sash the outsides too!

antiquemall 014

SO FUN!!

This is a very stringy scrappy log cabin variation that looks like boxes…..and they are all different sizes!  To me, this is the quintessential “FARM” quilt – made out of bits of this and that, pieced in columns, filled with heavy cotton and tied.

antiquemall 015

This is a quilter I would have loved to watch work – to see how her mind decided which was going to go where, and how she chose which fabric for which  block.  Who slept under this quilt?  Who did it keep warm through the winter?

Some day I hope that someone will look at my quilts and the *odd* fabric choices I made, and wonder the same things.

Be unpredictable!

I’m off to Portland – the trunk show is packed in two new army green duffels –ready for their first cross-country flight!

13 comments:

  1. Love that one with all the odd sizes pieces and boxes. If we that quilt was new today we would be labeling it a "Modern" quilt. I wonder what they called it way back then???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my blocks pretty organically. Working with secondhand scraps and bolt ends will do that! The only reason I end up with those side sashes is if I need to make up space on the top to match the bottom because being the biggest piece of fabric its more important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make my blocks pretty organically. Working with secondhand scraps and bolt ends will do that! The only reason I end up with those side sashes is if I need to make up space on the top to match the bottom because being the biggest piece of fabric its more important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that is a very modern looking log cabin. Looks like she was very adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first quilt for the colors but I always shy away from blocks with border triangles. They look fiddly to construct but if SOMEONE could show a quick foolproof way to handle these edges I'd be all over it! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's one way to do it: http://nancycabotsewalong.blogspot.com/2013/01/album-quilt-block.html

      (Of course you'd replace the signature rectangle with three squares to make a block like the one that Bonnie found.)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link Nann. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  6. I love the first quilt for the colors but I always shy away from blocks with border triangles. They look fiddly to construct but if SOMEONE could show a quick foolproof way to handle these edges I'd be all over it! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three half-square triangles does the job. Just like Bonnie did in Orca Bay

      Delete
  7. If it weren't for the yarn ties, I'd have thought that the second quilt was newly made! It's a very "modern" design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tee Hee...What is old is new again ! And around we go !Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It brings tears to my eyes thinking of my grandmother
    when I see boxed log quilt, colors from a quilt given
    to me from her house when she passed!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)