>>>>

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tale of the Traveling Hexies, the SEQUEL!

As I packed my bags last night and got ready for my run to the airport this morning….I knew something was missing.

What was it?

No, it wasn’t the ipod, though I seem to have misplaced it AGAIN ---I remember sliding it into its case before leaving for Florida, I don’t even remember if it made it to the car, and I know I didn’t use it while I was there, so where is it?!

I’m sure it will resurface again after another couple of years.

I packed my suitcase with all the “Normal” stuff ----it was the laptop bag that felt  too empty.

And then I remembered.

I finished my traveling hexie project while in Pennsylvania.  I was about to fly to Michigan without handwork!  This just will NOT do!

I’ve got an idea for what I want to do for another one – you see I have two sons, and I want to leave them each something that I have done completely by hand.  It’s part of their legacy.  They can have any of the other quilts I’ve made too, but those were never made with them specifically in mind.  These two hexie quilts are.  Or will be.  When they are both done.

FL_GA_Nov2012 257

I had plenty of neutral hexies left from the “Lady in Waiting” quilt.  Wanting to try a different color theme, I spent a bit of time cutting out some browns.  I’ve pinned them in groups of 6.  These are going to be a bit more controlled. 

I haven’t made myself a chart of how I’m really going to do this design yet, it’s still in my head!  But it starts with basic rosettes so that’s what I’m doing.  6 brown petals around a neutral center.

I’m just beginning.  And it will grow and change and evolve from here.  My hands are happiest when they are busy while I travel!

Speaking of traveling --- see that map of Michigan at the top of the page?  Find Lansing!  That is where I am flying in to.  I’ll be bouncing back and forth between the Capitol City Quilters in Lansing, and the Greater Ann Arbor Quilt Guild in Ann Arbor, returning home next Tuesday -- just 2 days before Thanksgiving.

This is my last big travel journey of the year so we are going to do it up big time MICHIGAN style!

And I’m off!

27 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip. Happy Thanksgving. And we are all looking forward to the beginning of easy street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you are starting another hexie project. I know exactly what you are talking about when you mentioned that you wanted a special something for each son. I sorta did that with yo-yo quilts. I have 100+ quilts in the house and as you said, they can have any of those that they want but I wanted them to have something special made just for them. So far I've completed 2 yo-yo quilts. The first has over 2500 in it and I gave it to my mom, but the second has 2000 in it and it belongs to my oldest son that is now 19. I have started another one that will be the same size and it will go to my youngest that is 10.

    Have a wonderful and Blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you are starting a new hexie project. You have inspired me to start one of my own and it is out of control! You are such an enabler (I mean that in a good way though lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels! You will be right by my mom's, I grew up in Toledo, Oh... wish I were heading home for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new Hexie Project for your travels to Michigan - perfect! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend and I are traveling "south" a couple of hours to take your Sunday session (Star Struck) and we are VERY excited ... travel safe and enjoy your Michigan visit! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to MY home state. I live only 25 milrs from Lansing. Have a great Michigan visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a fun and safe trip to MI! Stay warm and dry! :) Looking forward to the day after Thanksgiving...so much to do between now and then to have time to sew that day!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only been following you blog a short time so did not read much about your first hexie quilt. So I'll love reading about progress on the new hexies. I understand about always wanting a hand project when travelling. It's usually embroidery or hand applique for me. Have a great time in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY!!!! Miss Bonnie is coming to see me again! Woot woot woot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:43 AM EST

    Do they let you bring your little scissors on the plane? I've never brought handwork because I don't want to lose my scissors!

    -Bobbi
    amid.this.moment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:22 PM EST

      Yes they let you take small scissors on the plan. I take the ones I got cheap, so if they get lost I am out out anythng.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:18 PM EST

      Thanks! I think my next flight will be much more fun now that I know I can bring some handwork along. I really enjoy reading, but halfway through a full day of travel, I get jittery to do something with my hands. :)

      Delete
  12. Bring your wind breaker it is windy today in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Have fun!! Thanks for all your ideas Penni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bring your wind breaker it is windy today in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Have fun!! Thanks for all your ideas Penni

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Michigan! Enjoy your last trip of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does anybody know what that round yellow thing with the swirl design is that is under the scissors? Haven't seen that before. Marking chalk or....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnet for pins and scissors?

      Delete
    2. Or a little plastic case with teensy pins in it?! It almost looks like a pill holder that's been repurposed.

      Delete
  16. Bonnie, how did you finish the hexie quilt you made? I'm deep into EPP, but can't figure out what to do with all those odd shapes on the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those hexies! I've been working on a hexigon project during my travels as well, but it should have been done by end of October and it's still not done. Some day! Have fun on your trips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I lost my ipod when I went to my mom's looked everywhere for it. I pulled my hexies on to work on Sunday, and I found it in my sewing pouch. LOL I have all of my flowers sewn together and now need to sew thm together, this part has me stumped, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to my home state. Need a ride?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you starting another hexie quilt. It is really good to have a hand piecing project on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jealous! But I'll be there next week, so I guess that's ok. Hope you find your iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I get to travel, see the world, meet people and be independent. I feel blessed.

    Flights to Entebbe | Cheap Flights to Entebbe | Cheap Air Tickets to Entebbe

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)