>>>>

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mystery Madness & Musings ---

It’s been a day of funny texts and forwarded emails!

It makes ME feel so excited over the hubbub and frenzy, watching all of YOU ramp up for our upcoming fun with Easy Street starting so soon!

I received this email from a friend who participates on a quilters email list, just because she thought *I* would get a kick out of it.  I’m sharing Sally’s email with you here:

Good morning! 

I decided to get an early quilting start to the day and headed to Lowes to get the paint chip cards that Bonnie Hunter used to pick her colors for this years mystery quilt, Easy Street.

I went on her site, wrote down the numbers and walked into Lowes.

The color chip sample rack was full-- except for the ones I wanted. Two of the three were totally empty and the third only had one card left. Even to my husband it was obvious there must be several quilters in the area doing this mystery quilt!

The Lowes employee was quite confused as to why they were only out of those three!  I tried to explain but he certainly didn't get it and couldn't imagine a quilt done in those colors! 

The second Lowes we went to had the colors I needed. Now I can head to the quilt show and grab some fat quarters if the vendors have any.

Sally
The story was so funny I had to read it out loud to my class!  We all decided that the Lowes with NO CARDS must have been the Lowes closest to the quilt shops!

The second Mystery Funny came in the form of a text and photo from my friend Lisa ---

Easy Street 001

Mystery Quilt Shoppers!

Lisa and Karen took a road trip to Mary Jos in Gastonia, NC  today in search of black-on-white for the upcoming mystery.  They found another couple of quilters with STACKS of the coveted black-on-whites, plotting and planning and building their variety ---and conversation must have taken place ----There is a run on black-on-white happening everywhere it seems!  They are so fun to collect and to use! 

A big Quiltville hello to these two Mystery shoppers ---I’m so happy they are jumping in and playing along!

For more variety, shop with a friend and/or trade strips!  Pull in some fun ones ---I love anything with words or with sewing notions or other goofy things on it –one of mine has cupcakes!

Tonight is my last night in Tallahassee – tomorrow I’m off to the wilds of Albany Georgia!

I think I see a nice easy dinner in my near future, and a lot of relaxing and sewing in the hotel room tonight….

Have a great evening, everyone!


23 comments:

  1. Too funny! I thought that only happened with cheddar fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew as soon as you posted the paint chip colors that they would be disappearing from Lowes stores everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheddar fabric, paint chip cards and now black-on-white fabric! The next to the last bolt on the right had side is the only black on white that I have so far. Yes, it came from Mary Jo's! It arrived yesterday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a black on white with cupcakes too! I am so looking forward to doing this mystery!! I love your designs Bonnie, so I know Easy Street will be awesome! Cindy in SC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only took one of each color, so it wasn't me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is hilarious!!! I'm really not surprised though.... there are a ton of us here in Nashville doing the mystery. I'm glad I got my paint chips the first day after you announced the colors :*) I'll be taking our yearly trip to North Carolina to have Thanksgiving with my family soon, and you can bet a stop at Mary Jo's will be in the itinerary. I'm not betting on any black-on-whites being there though - good thing I've got all of those I need too! :*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just there yesterday. They had a whole long row. One end had clean white with light coverage of blacks. Super fun, line drawings of scissors, some with thread spools, sewing machines etc. the left end had a couple of bolts sort of off white; but there are lots from which to choose. However, there was only one bolt of black on white in the reproduction/civil war section. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. There is another frenzy going on -- Finished Orca Bay's are popping up everywhere, including mine. Nothing like the excitement of a new mystery to give us incentive to finish something. Now I am heading for the stash to start pulling - ahhhh goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished piecing the back for my Orca Bay so I can send it to the long-arm quilter. Now I can start the new mystery with a clear conscience!

      Delete
  8. I love your quilts. I love to use scraps and to get something nice out of it. I love the mystery.
    But I have too much to do in december- I guess I will start on this anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stopped at the Lowes in Rapid City SD on my way to the airport. Did my fabric shopping during my vacation in Arizona. Now I am back to the snow and ready. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting ready for this mystery is so much fun. I've already got two others interested just by asking for scraps to use in it! Bonnie, whenever you mention Albany, Georgia, my heart hurts a little as I remember it was our very first home when we married in 1966, and then again for 3 years in 1968-71. It is where our son was born and where I taught high school math! We always thought we'd return there to retire but the desert made us fall in love with it too. Anyway, please say hello to Albany for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must be in the air - I shopped for mystery fabrics today also! Doing it a little more controlled this time. I picked a background fabric with a tiny pattern that has several colors in it, then chose yardage that coordinated with the colors in the background fabric. So instead of just one 'constant' I guess all my colors will be considered constants... Or not.... :) Will just have to wait and see, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I picked out the perfect grey/gray at thousand of bolts and it was all gone the next day. Darn you, mystery quilters! Who got all the white with black swirlies?

    I can't wait to see how they all turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have already purchased the fabric I intend on using, but I was washing it today! This will be the first mystery quilt I have ever made and I am very excited! I am changing the colors a bit but still similar, I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are funny stories! Today, at my quilting club, I had someone offer me a piece of 'white with some black on it' fabric. I saw it and immediately thought, "That's going in Easy Street!" We're focused!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just got the last of my batik fabrics together and had to order some fq's of black on white which should be here by Wednesday, (Orca Bay just about cleaned out my black and white stash!), but NO worries...I'll be ready and waiting for Easy Street ;-)
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got my fabrics gathered, only had to buy gray constant--used a Joann's coupon and bought a little extra for scraps, since I had no gray in my stash. But I'll be starting late--out of town company for Thanksgiving weekend. I'll try not to think about those of you stitching away while I'm not...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't committed to doing the mystery . . . . yet. I have a lot of the apple green in my stash, a bit of the aqua/turquoise but almost no purple. I saw that someone substituted melon oranges for the purple, maybe that would work for me. I do have some of the white with black and would have to add the grey constant. I have so many ufo's, but I just love all the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went to MY Lowes on Friday night and had my 12 year old son with me, put him to work finding the right paint chips....he was only able to find ONE of the cards. The others were OUT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. During a quilt class yesterday, my friend and I passed out 3x5 cards with your website and Easy Street tab written on them. Several ladies bought fabrics yesterday as they had their own lists. I'm armed and ready to go! No Black Friday shopping for me! I'm going to be on Easy Street!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Well Bonnie/Quiltville followers are alive and well here in Sunny but cold Tucson! I have been to Lowes too, can only manage to find two of the four colors...that is not stopping me! Thanks Bonnie for Fall/Winter fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can just hear the conversations in the Lowe's break room, "Who is this Bonnie Hunter who is causing such a ruckus in the paint chip aisle?" I imagine the color trends of 2012 will change to this palette. Your fan club has spoken and I for one am counting down the days until the 23rd!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)