>>>>

Friday, July 06, 2012

Welcome to Sherwood Forest!

Summer in the mountains above Boise is a season of magic.

It can get HOT in the afternoons with temps reaching close to 100 – but it doesn’t feel like it.

You know that whole “It’s a dry heat” thing? If you’ve ever thought it HAD to be hogwash ---there IS a difference. I can feel the difference between 100 degrees in Winston Salem in July --- and 97 degrees in the high mountain desert of Idaho in July – and the humidity thing is the key!

I’ve been here 2 days and already my lips are so chapped they feel like they could fall off! It’s a good thing I stocked up on the carmex ahead of time. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize --- and then don’t forget the BUG SPRAY!

It’s buggy in the mountains – and those little blood suckers are vicious!

The magic is what happens once the sun has gone past the trees in the late afternoon when the cool of the evening sets in, and even in July – you have to throw on an extra shirt or a sweater, because the temps drop so quickly.

In the morning it will be down right chilly --- and that is perfect for wrapping up a bit warmer and sitting on the deck with a hot cup of tea, or wandering around the garden while the dew is still fresh on the flowers.

Come take a walk with me through my mom’s garden – it is one of my most favorite places on earth!

I will be the first one to tell you that I am not a gardener. Being the kind of gardener my mom is –that’s a full time seasonal job, and I’d never be able to do it with the kind of travel my life has dished out to me lately – but I have dreams – oh yes I do ---of some day having a beautiful garden to wander through.

In the mean time, I go home to visit mom’s ---and my senses are filled with color, and fragrance and texture, each plant thriving in the environment provided for it by the loving hands of my mother.

idaho2012 344

Mom’s house on the mountain top ---I’m standing toward the back of the garden beds…standing next to the strawberries looking back toward the house. The little cart you see is a favorite of the grand kids – they run each other ragged, some one riding, someone pulling round and round and round the yard – keep em busy, keep em tired is a slogan well known around a house with this many grandkids running loose!

idaho2012 422

Addie pulling Kenzie and Logan around the yard!

Along with the cart are log stools and benches…..they encircle the fire pit that will be used this week for making s’mores, singing around the bon fire, and late night chatter and laughter --- the smoke is a good mosquito deterrent! Many memories are made around this camp fire.

idaho2012 340

A tall electric deer fence keeps local 4-legged grazers away from the veggie beds, fruit trees and berries!

idaho2012 345

Walking along groomed pathways will take you past a wide variety of perennials. Many of them have been traded back and forth from Minnesota to Idaho and back between my mom and her sister who is also an avid gardener.

idaho2012 346

Everywhere you turn scenes are set with little vignettes – here we have a turtle on a rock and a sign that reminds me to BREATHE!

idaho2012 347

Find the sign that says DREAM!

The purple puffballs are my favorite --- and that isn’t heir real name…but LOOK at that intense color! We thought it might be in the "campanula" family, but after searching them it doesn't look like it is -- anyone know?

idaho2012 386

One cluster is almost as big as my hand!

idaho2012 384

Here mom is explaining to her sister Joy about the different ground covers she grows – every year she has a “garden sale” and people come from miles around to purchase shovel-fulls of the various things she is famous for growing.

idaho2012 388

Foxglove is a favorite --- and my Aunt, a nurse – simply calls it for what it is most known as …DIGITALIS! Love this pink color!

idaho2012 391

Star-shaped bellflowers in a periwinkle blue…

idaho2012 392

I think Joy called this one a “cherry bell” and it is one that mom brought back from Joy’s garden in Minnesota to see how it would do in the mountains of Idaho. So far it is thriving!

idaho2012 393

Inviting benches and pots dripping with viney blossoms.

It’s interesting to me that a gardener will also go for things that have contrast – planting shorter things next to things that are taller, and varying where the blooming plants go to create a landscape of endless interest and new things for the eyes to discover. It is much like designing a quilt ----and not wanting all the greens to be the same shade, but planting something with variegated leaves next to something with spotted leaves, and that next to something that has really LARGE leaves ….next to something that has long spokey spikey sharp leaves.

idaho2012 335

This is where I am spending my days. This is where we all gather for walks in the garden, to watch the grandkids play, to sit at tables and talk about what has gone on in our lives since we saw each other last.

idaho2012 416

These are the moments we will remember forever.

idaho2012 421

Today there will be more siblings and spouses and cousins arriving – the party increases!

idaho2012 423

Kelli the Movie Star ;c)

Family is just the best there is!

38 comments:

  1. Love your Mom's garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, this is seriously beautiful ! would love to sit in that garden , but not work in it :-) have a great time off with your family !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom's place is what heaven would be like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I get to see my mother tomorrow... Running from Columbus Ohio to Nashville TN for lunch with my mother! (And returning my niece who has been visiting for the past few weeks to her mother...)

    Good to see you relaxing and thanks for sharing your joy with all of us.

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely setting for relaxing. I agree...Family is the Best! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into heaven! It's so beautiful and incredible! Your Mom is so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree this looks like heaven to me. Thank you for letting us share in your joy.

      Delete
  7. Your mom's garden is beautiful......so is her hexie quilt! She's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy!
    Looks like a little piece of heaven.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:50 AM EDT

    WOW! A slice of heaven is right there in Idaho! As I see it, no wonder you are a lady of calm, kindness and design abilities. Anyone whose Mom has a beautiful gentle garden in such a serene place can only be BONNIE!
    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks as good as the local botanical gardens. Your Mom is just an amazing gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purple puff balls? Can you find out the real name I have them too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:15 AM EDT

      Clustered bell flower

      Delete
    2. I believe there is a variety of bell flower that blooms every other year ... or it might be a balloon flower that I am thinking of ... don't have my flower books handy ... but you might want to check that because it would be frustrating to wait for something to bloom and that happened to be it's "no bloom" year!

      Delete
  12. I can see why you have an eye for color and the beauty your quilts hold. It's a beautiful garden! Enjoy your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your time with your mom and family. My String Fling arrived yesterday! I look forward to spending time with it today. I had to put it on the shelf yesterday while I canned green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:52 AM EDT

    Everything is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:04 AM EDT

    Bonnie, the purple flower you are holding is a campanula glomerata "Superba", common name "clustered bellflower". I had some in my old garden and loved them! Your Mom's garden is so beautiful! What a peaceful place to spend a summer's day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mother has an amazing garden! Beautiful! Yes, this is what memories are made of. I'm glad you are having this time to spend with family, and in your mother's garden---a time to breathe & dream.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:47 AM EDT

    Bonnie - what a haven your Mom has. Thanks for sharing. Its funny how quilting has freed me in the garden. Was noticing the other day how I am "branching" out and using more colors and blending them.
    Laurie aka schoolrn1

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful garden! Looks like the perfect place to old a family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is nothing as beautiful as family gatherings!! I'm so glad you have an opportunity to relax and refresh. Hug your family hard and tell them how much you love them, partings often come too soon.
    Your mother's garden is absuloutely stunning!! Many mountain dwellers won't spend the time or effort.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful garden! Did you know that Digitalis is called Fingerborgsblomma, meaning Thimble Flower, in Swedish? I think it's a really cute name.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your mother's gardens are amazing! I would love to have something so beautiful, but I know I could never keep up with them. That is a LOT of work! How does she find time to hexie?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely garden ~ you can see the love she puts into it coming back through the plantings. Beckons you to stop and stay awhile. On a different note ... I GOT MY BOOK!!! Received my String Fling in the mail this afternoon and getting ready to sit down with a LARGE glass of iced tea and fall into it ... can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fun! I enjoyed the relaxing "stroll" through your mom's garden with my morning tea. Thanks for sharing. May you enjoy your visit with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 8^} Spend the last five or so days in my vegetable garden, unearthing clematis vitalba and "hop" (Humulus lupulus the bitter ingredient in beer), replanting other flowers, leeks and cabbages.... and it is true, humidity makes all the difference in feeling well or not in heat. The frontyard of my house is planted too with all shapes and sizes of leaves, it makes it lovely and interesting even when sometimes there are no flowers blooming. And htere we have our grape vine as such a nice canopy when its hot!
    Have a lovely time together, love from Amsterdam, Irene

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what an amazing place! You can see the love and care placed in the garden and with everything. What fantastic memories indeed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How absolutely beautiful! A bit too far to travel for the plant swaps/sales. I can almost smell the mountain air. Someone told me recently that perfumed dryer sheets will repel blackflies- and maybe a few folks as well. Be careful around people with asthma.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous5:16 PM EDT

    The garden is beautiful; what a lovely setting, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Today you had me in tears. My mom has been gone now for many years but she had the blue ribbon of all foxglove plants. The neighbors would come to measure how tall they were - pig manure and lots of love was the secret. Thins for bringing her back to me through your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow the gardens are just gorgeous. What a joy for everyone but especially the children to be making such wonderful memories. These days are treasures beyond measure!

    ReplyDelete
  30. We call that purple flower glomerata. Lovely gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW!! Paradise! Thanks for sharing, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous1:13 AM EDT

    What a beautiful place your mother has!! Who would ever want to leave such a place? I too, live on "the mountain" according to friends, but our place can't hold a candle to your mother's. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Sharon-ssauser@dishmail.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful garden & the hexie WIP is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ohhh, I love those purple globe flowers. Not sure what they're called though. Do you think your mom would trade seeds with me. I have some lovely purple pepper and sensation melon seeds drying on top of my fridge.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)