>>>>

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Shopping in Crouch!

It’s been three years since I’ve been back here, and the place is GROWING!

They actually have a full-fledged grocery store now – complete with a deli and a soon-to-be pharmacy.

And a STOP SIGN!

WHAT is the world coming to?

Dear Crouch, Idaho ---Please don’t get TOO big --- if you put in a bowling alley I’ll be really sad!

However – I do love that there is a thrift shop, and an antique/décor store. I will take that kind of change any day ----yesterday Joy and Mom and I ran into town ((About 6 miles or so away from mom’s)) to stock up on more food-stuffs --- these kids eat like locusts! And we took some time to wander.

We visited Wild Bill’s Deli and had some delicious gelato! IN CROUCH, IDAHO!

And then we wandered into the shops…and I saw..QUILTS! in CROUCH!

idaho2012 411

I love love love this 1930s hexagon. Those black centers just make the sherbet colors pop!

idaho2012 412

Fussy cutting was alive and well in the 1930s!

The only bad thing is that the solid black is shredding. Those dyes were just so caustic ---and I’ve had black fabrics recently that have done the same thing after sitting on my shelf for a few years. Blacks are just SUSPECT because there is so much chemical in them. I pre-wash ALL solid blacks that come into my studio for that reason.

idaho2012 413

Another section…isn’t it fun what she did with these prints? Lovely!

idaho2012 406

THIS is one I’ve never seen before. It’s a snowball, but constructed in such a way that it makes what looks like blossoms. Just AWESOME! I love those indigoes!

idaho2012 407

Close up. I’m guessing this to be between 1920-1930 and I KNOW that white floral piece in the upper right HAS been reproduced because I have it in my stash! This has been completely hand pieced and hand quilted…that soft yellow just takes my heart --

idaho2012 408

I did NOT bring this 301 home.

((Did I want to?! YES!! But I’m trying to show restraint!))

I’m sure enjoying the girly bonding time with my sisters, my mom and my aunt!

12 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you went back and bought the 301! WTG on showing restraint. Interesting also that you prewash your blacks. what about indigo do you prewash those? and black or indigo prints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good info on the black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Debbie ... great info on the black ... never knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should get something as a reminder of this lovely reunion. Like a postcard . . . Or a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also didn't know this about black. Do you prewash black and white prints if they are mostly black? Thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE!!!!!!!! The grandmother's garden quilt! I wish it would come to live at my house!! I agree the other one is very unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, The Purple Quilter11:42 AM EDT

    Thank you for the info on the black!! I have a quilt on my "to do" list using black! I am collecting gem colors to use with it and did not know that and I am not a prewasher!!

    Is there a particular black you have found to be better than others?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy Laquidara likes the 301 very much. She has written about this machine in her blog. Tempting you!!! Enjoy your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz Porter has a replica pattern out of that snowball design. It's lovely.

    Glad you're having a great time in Crouch, I loved the garden pictures! You made me homesick for my mom and her gardens.

    I've got to work on Monday or I'd be at the airport with a "Bonnie we love you!" sign to send you off to Sisters.

    Enjoy!
    Connie - Boise, ID
    artisanatheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would so love to have a family of women quilters.......Alas, not to be. I am so enjoying your posts from "home". Is hubby not with you?

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love Crouch. If my husband could have his way we would live up there. Glad you are having such a wonderful time in Idaho.
    Amanda - Nampa, ID

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the info on the black! Small towns are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)