>>>>

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sew Many Hexies!!

I’m sitting here resting my bones and going through today’s photos – oh my goodness did we have a lot of fun!

One of the things I love to do is have a “show and tell” right at the end of lunch ---there are always Quilters who bring stuff they know I would love to see, and of course we ALL want to see, so it’s become a fun way of seeing what others have made, and getting to know more about each other while we finish up our lunches and rest ourselves from all of the power sewing we’ve done all morning long.

Today I was blown away by three friends (( Two are cousins-in-law – they are married to two guys who are first cousins with each other )) and another friend of theirs who have been working on hexie quilts with 3/8” hexies!

MAN!

These are TINY!!

This little one is simply pieced with no worry about what goes where…just a sampling of favorite fabrics sewn into the tiniest little cutie ever! I wanted her finger in the photo to show just how small these hexies are.

You thought MY hexies were small? They feel like hub caps compared to these! Look!

PA_July2012 059

Here are MY hexies draped over one of these wonderful minis….See what I mean? That’s the difference between 3/4” ((Mine)) and 3/8” ((Hers))

PA_July2012 064

And just so you can see her whole piece…..are you WOW-ING Yet?!?

PA_July2012 065

Closer yet --- there is my thimble placed by one of the rosettes. These aren’t the tiniest hexies ever, but I liked the size…I liked that even though they were small, there was somewhere for the seam allowance to go without it being super duper thick, and that I could still see just what each print was. You get too small, and things get bulky and print detail is lost.

PA_July2012 060

One gal, inspired by the center panel of a medallion quilt, pieced her entire mini in shades of as many double pinks as she could find, with yummy random neutrals as the paths and centers. This week is STILL brought to you by the color PINK! :cD

PA_July2012 061

Yep! You can still see what each and every print is! I’m betting you are looking to see if you have any of these in YOUR pink stash too, aren’t you? See my thimble there at the top?

PA_July2012 062

This medallion is still under construction, and she is working at it in color rounds….and yes, my thimble is there too!

PA_July2012 063

Don’t some of these fabrics look neat when they are cut small? And yes, some of them ARE fussy cut!

And since we are in a Hexie mood, I can share with you one of the quilts that Mary shared with me the first night I was in Bedford --- Oh you guys…look at this!

PA_July2012 001

Wowser Wowser Wowser!

PA_July2012 004

1930s & 1940s prints in color rounds with spokes! How she used her fabric is so interesting, I love how the planned parts fade out in the randomly placed fill in areas!

PA_July2012 003

Doesn’t that final white edge look like rick-rack?!

I also love how the deep scalloped yellow border finishes everything off and gives a place for all the scrappiness to be contained, but still the scallops provide a softness, a gentle finish instead of stark straight edges. What a great quilt!

Mary is still at the shop. I’m just resting JUST A BIT --- and I’m not sure what we are doing for dinner tonight, but all the hard part is done. Tomorrow is a “Day Off” for both of us, and there was some mention of going to Bedford Springs Spa for some girlie time…Oh I hope we do!

My time in PA is passing too quickly, and I haven’t sewn a stitch! Maybe tomorrow would be a good day to do some sewing too ----hopefully you’ll be able to get some time in as well!

Enjoy your evening, Everyone!

22 comments:

  1. I love the look of hexie projects and these are some real stunners. The tiny ones really speak to me, and the one with the spokes--WOW!
    I just can't seem to get motivated to finish my 15 year old hexie project--I don't dare start another one.
    Thanks for sharing these beauties! Inspiring. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:20 PM EDT

    You are so making me want to do a hexie project....but it would have to be a very small project! LOL
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:22 PM EDT

    Dear Bonnie,
    Thanks for the wonderful time at your workshop and trunk show. You are absolutely as much fun in person as you seem from your blog. I'm so inspired I want to spend all of my free time finishing quilts, instead of just playing at making them. I'll be on the look out for another of your classes in Southwestern PA!
    Bev H (The Cousin-in-Law with Hexies in your first pictures)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tiny hexies are amazing! Enjoy your rest and your day off! You'll probably end up doing some sewing . . . but definitely go to the spa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That speckled background is just so wonderful.
    I have many of those pinks.
    I really like that this week is brought to us by the color pink!!!
    I was able to find your Hexie punch on EBAY. It was used yet is very sharp yet!!! WHHOOOO!!
    XOXOXO Subee
    who finished her 114 X 144 log cabin this weekend!!!
    http://www.subeesews.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:14 PM EDT

    I have seen hexies, and was not at all interested in doing them. Until last week. And now that I see what you girls have been up to... I so want to do them. But not jus yet. Have a few other things I need to cross of my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! A friend is going to give me an english paper piecing tutorial nxt week. Now I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks for sharing all these wonderful hexie projects with us. So much wonderful inspiration. I had to laugh when you mentioned never being able to have had a pink room. Our downstairs bedroom has been pepto bismal pink ever since we moved in 22 years ago. Now we are getting ready to move and that room is on the list to be painted. Since the room is small and dark, I have an antique mall find hanging on the wall. A hexagon quilt all in velvets. The outer border is red and looks quite nice against the pink walls. It's hanging behind the headboard of the antique bed which came from my great grandmother's family home. My grandfather gave it to me as the eldest grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm finishing off a hexie mug rug, my first hexie project that combined with watching the progress of your project and all the others you have been showing.....I'm totally hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:42 PM EDT

    Your your heirs have inspired me to make a yo yo quilt. I had a bad experience with a hexie quilt many years ago. They were large, maybe 2.5" per side, and someone either stole it or trashed it. Maybe one day I'll let it go enough to make a new one. I figured yoyo's would count as baby steps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them. A few years ago at the Houston Festival there were several Japanese quilts made with 1/4" to 1/8" hexies. I really wanted to do some, but knew it would take forever. I can still dream, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, you've pushed me over the edge. I'm going to start a hexie project! Now to decide which one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms. Bonnie,

    I feel like I'm famous now! Seeing my little hexies on your blog is a real thrill. But how wonderful is that 30's hexie with the spokes!?! I was going to swear off hexies for a while, but I think I'm going to be starting another one very soon!
    Thank you for the wonderful workshop. I enjoyed the hints and tips you gave us. I felt like smacking my head and saying "Doh" when you showed us how to match up our strip sets to make four patches!
    I will definitely be keeping an eye on your schedule so that I can get to another workshop. It was so much fun.

    Cheryl (the cousin-in-law with the pink hexies)
    katydidart.net
    www.katydidart60@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:23 PM EDT

    You haven't sewn a stitch???? I'm just curious who is traveling with you (sewing machine wise) since Marvelous Magenta was murdered by the baggage handlers at United????? Joy in AK

    ReplyDelete
  16. How amazing! I love all these wonderful Grandmother's Flower Garden pieces (you know they are actually sectagons...everyone calls them hexagons!) Whatever anyone wants to call them, you have to call them beautiful! I LOVE the colors! And they are so SMALL!! Wow, this is so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH my gosh I so love them!!! Thanks for sharing! I just got into hexy's ... like only two weeks ago ... and I'm so loving it! I start working on a small coin purse (my first project) that uses 1/2" and I was hooked! I have 2 1/2" sqs (about 2000) that I swapped in 1999 and didn't know what to do with them until now! Thanks, Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. now I want to make a quilt with giant hexies and call it the hub cap special!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hexxies will always have a special place in my heart. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous12:26 PM EDT

    I'm working on a hexie quilt now. I got inspired because of Bonnie's hexie quilt! Went to Paperpieces.com and the rest is History! Thanks so much for all the inspiration and encouragements you give each of us. Personally, you've made me a better person and I thank-you for that gift.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous1:42 PM EDT

    Bonnie, I have yet to do anything with hexies but after I saw your Mom's beautiful design with hexies, I really HAVE to try it. Her's is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic hexie projects! I just did a demo at work last week on hexies. I am trying to gather a few stitchers to do a little hexie club. In any case I have a pile of hexie projects that I want to make. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)