>>>>

Friday, July 27, 2012

Crabapple Quilts in Hershey!

Yesterday’s class – what a FUN time! It was the perfect low-key day to start off this wild and whacky Hershey Quilt Odyssey weekend. ((And if it weren’t for the fact that this is the second time I’ve taught here,, I probably never WOULD have learned to spell ODYSSEY! HA!))

So what did we get up to?

We started with CUTTING. And that turned on light bulbs for many!

Then we did test seams and found how what quite a few THOUGHT were 1/4” just were not!

And we started sewing better!

We spent the morning making checkerboards, and had open discussions on the difference between dividing fabrics simply by light/med/dark and how those medium colors can really muddy the waters, and switched into talk about about how I like to stick with two categories only --- NEUTRALS or COLORS and the difference I find with separating my fabrics this way.

After lunch we switched gears…and moved on to basic paper piecing for the tree trunk sections for the block. It’s only 3 seams --- but within this little unit is the perfect way to teach someone the basics of paper piecing and how fun it could be!

Time went fast ---we filled it to the very end!

Let’s get this day started! I’m setting up my lunch time lecture at 8am --- starting Smith Mountain Morning class at 9:am….the lecture happens at 12:15pm and after that –back to Smith Mountain Morning for the afternoon!

Good thing there’s lots of chocolate around!

15 comments:

  1. I love the string pieced tree. Looks like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved all the pic's. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This block is just charming! And your comment about light/dark and muddy medium hit me between the eyes. I still feel a bit uncomfortable with really bright colors, but looking at this slideshow shows how even more muted colors work better if we follow your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun you all had! Bonnie, I hope you get some good rest in between your teaching assignments. You really give it your all and have so much enthusiasm! Please don't burn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this quilt on my bucket list since I bought the book it is in last year. My bucket list has so many Bonnie quilts on it. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:03 AM EDT

      which book is it in?

      Delete
  6. I'm with Janet. This one is on my bucket list! I hope you find a minute for lunch today :-) thanks for all the great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like everyone is doing so well! Glad you're having fun! I remember when you put that quilt together in Charleston---remember??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I was there. Just like Janet and Amy Laura its on my bucket list. After looking at all the pictures I might just have to bump it up to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those r fantastic trees

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love this block! You've done it again! Oh, how I wish I had been a mouse in the corner for this workshop! Where can I find this wonderful pattern? Is it in your latest book, which is on my wishlist? Might just have to make a chocolate run to the store, come home and pull out my scraps, put a movie in the DVD player and sew checkerboards this afternoon. Fun, fun, fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kind of funny seeing all those fancy machines and all you use them for is to straight stitch!!! Just a passing thought.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like everyone had a lot of fun! Would LOVE to see how the quilt using solids and black turns out. I'd thought of using solids to make a crab tree quilt version. Maybe the quilter will share with you when she is done? - hope so :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce Waynesboro PA.USA6:08 PM EDT

      Helen that is my block and yes I would love to share when I am finished! Thank you

      Delete
  13. Anonymous11:02 AM EDT

    Bonnie, Just the dark chocolate colors make me hungry for hershey bars. I too wish I was there. It looks like such a wonderful place to meet. Barby Mountain Home, ARK

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)