>>>>

Friday, June 15, 2012

Sweet Hexie Dreamin’!

Kathy’s guest room is set up just for me!

She must have known she would achieve maximum jaw dropping effect as soon as I spied the quilt on the bed..this is such a WONDERFUL scrappy hexie! I could study the fabrics in it for hours.

It starts with a green diamond of hexies around a center cheddar hex ----

Then a row of “printed” 30’s hexagons ---

Followed by a row of SOLID hexagons in those wonderful 30’s shades---

And finally bordered by another round of hexies in all of those scrappy 30s prints.

The pieced diamonds are large, and separated by a simple muslin path. The quilting is simple, each round of hexes is outlined in tiny stitches, just following the diamond shapes ---

OH_PA_june2012 318

I dreamed endlessly under this quilt last night! It is the softest, most comfy quilt ever, I think because it HAS been used and loved and slept under and washed and dried on a line --- it has that wonderful smell of vintage linens –and every stitch was made by hand.

OH_PA_june2012 316

The bottom edges are filled in with large “nile green” triangles…..

OH_PA_june2012 317

Look at how sweet the quilting is in here --- LOVE those feathers, they fill the space just right!

One of the best things about being a quilter – is finding beauty in simplicity every day. Always being on the look-out for things that fill my heart and my soul means there is less room for things that I DON’T want in my life ---

And more room for the things that make me smile---

OH_PA_june2012 313

Like tickling Miss Gracie who loves to lie belly up and stretch out long and lanky!

We’ve spent today relaxing and working on projects ---soon we’ll head over and set up for my lecture and the guild meeting will start and the evening will get busy, and the day will be done ---

But I’m so appreciative for the respite of a friend’s house – a cup of tea, a day to sew, some time on the screened in porch just typing up this post and enjoying the birds and the sunshine on a wonderful Friday in June ----

25 comments:

  1. That a just a stellar quilt, Bonnie...

    And I am officially in love with Gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilt! There is nothing like a hexie quilt! I have one made by my grandmother and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt, gorgeous cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:27 PM EDT

    I gasped when I saw this post! For whatever reason, I just LOVE hexies and all their parts...
    ~Jillian in North Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - you should have heard the squeal of delight from here in WNY after opening your blog post. Another beauty for my bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I forgot to add that Miss Gracie is ador-a-ble! Love that little face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed by the seemingly unlimited number of layouts for hexie quilts. For several years I collected vintage hexie tops but haven't seen that one. I think I need to quilt some of the tops and start using them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt---and I love Gracie! What a charmer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:07 PM EDT

    Due to a few health problems I have been unable to quilt for a while now and I do so miss it; however, through your FB postings I can quilt vocariously. Thanks so much for sharing your passion for the most wonderful art of quilting. I look forward every day to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:19 PM EDT

    Bonnie do you follow Fraser Smith on Facebook? His latest quilt sculpture is a hexie quilt. He revealed it painted yesterday.

    Cynthia in metro Portland, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no desire to make hexies, but I sure love that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That room is so tranquil and beautiful, with the quilt allowed to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:56 PM EDT

    That is a lovely quilt! Thanks for sharing with us.
    I'm glad you had a nice relaxing day. You sure deserve it and more.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how she finished off her hexagons. I made the triangles but couldn't figure out how to set them into a quilt, like the idea of a solid on the edges.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish hotel rooms had beautiful quilts like that to sleep under. I am looking over at the bed now, and it is as stark as they come. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely little respite!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the hexies too and when kitties do that stretchy thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:19 AM EDT

    Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, I am so glad to see you take a rest from your usual flurry of activity and thank you so much for the wonderful review of this 1930's quilt. I would not have appreciated it fully without your commentary on it. It is remarkable! And so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyn M.8:29 AM EDT

    Bonnie, I've never seen you in person, but I visit your site all the time and follow you on FB. You are a woman after my own heart. I am absolutely addicted to hexagons and every time you post pictures like these, I immediately think, "Oh, I want to do one of those!" I tracked down a copy of the book "Mosaic Quilts" published by the Charleston Museum and had to read up on the origin of paper piecing. So many designs and so little time...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Gracie...give her a pet for me too. And that quilt...do you think anyone would notice if it accidentally fell into your suitcase?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like I have a new quilt to make! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonnie, you always give me a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous9:32 PM EDT

    Bonnie, we loved having you for a few days. they did go fast! Always love seeing th e world thru your eyes. Can't wait for your return!
    Kat, Gracie, and Mr Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That quilt is amazing! I love looking at old quilts. Trying to think of the memories that it holds. each one is so different. It's nice to take time to find the joys in life. Smile and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)